Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #706 of 3,093
Quote:

I have used the 11.32 with Ubuntu 12.10 & 13.04 (Rhythmbox) with no problems whatsoever (dual boot 12.10 with W7 & 13.04 with Vista).  I love Ubuntu, but when it comes to using my library off my network it's very slow, so I just keep various albums on the computer locally and change them periodically.

Cheers!

What do you use to stream your music over the network? I've used samba to connect to the windows share on my NAS and it seemed to work just as fast as it does in Windows.

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #707 of 3,093
Quote:

What do you use to stream your music over the network? I've used samba to connect to the windows share on my NAS and it seemed to work just as fast as it does in Windows.

Hey dev,

I tried samba a while back when I was using Amarok, but when I switched over to Rhythmbox, never gave it a fair try again, I guess.  It was the initial tapping into the network that was taking a while to recognize my entire library and froze up on me with the faded screens a few times. 

Also, when I get into my network (from Ubuntu) all is great and I can play around with files with no problems, but when I cut/copy from network to desktop it was also taking a long time.

I guess I'll give samba another shot with more initial patience....
beerchug.gif

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #708 of 3,093
Quote:

I have used the 11.32 with Ubuntu 12.10 & 13.04 (Rhythmbox) with no problems whatsoever (dual boot 12.10 with W7 & 13.04 with Vista).  I love Ubuntu, but when it comes to using my library off my network it's very slow, so I just keep various albums on the computer locally and change them periodically.

Cheers!

That's what I like to hear! 

I primarily use either Audacious or gmusicbrowser on 12.04 these days due to the small memory footprint and loading speeds (and the fact that Audacious likes ALSA much much more than any of the other music players do - I can't get rhythmbox to bond with anything other than pulseaudio, and ALSA handles bit-perfect playback much better).  I'm dual booting with W8 so I might give the 11.32 a burl with both - but for audio I really only use Ubuntu so I'm hoping for a reasonably
'plug and play' experience (though I'm not too shy about playing around with audio settings and drivers if need be).

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #709 of 3,093
Using my NFB10.32 with toslink. I sometimes hear slight pops/or crackles for a slight moment in all audio usage. I go back and play it again and its does not happen again. This makes me think its the dac/amp?

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #710 of 3,093
Quote:
Using my NFB10.32 with toslink. I sometimes hear slight pops/or crackles for a slight moment in all audio usage. I go back and play it again and its does not happen again. This makes me think its the dac/amp?

I experience the exact same thing on my 11.32.  Not sure why it's only happening in optical toslink but but on USB

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #712 of 3,093
Quote:
I experience the exact same thing on my 11.32.  Not sure why it's only happening in optical toslink but but on USB

When that happens, I eject and re-insert the Sabre DAC that I use as USB-to-optical converter.

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #713 of 3,093
Quote:
That's what I like to hear! 

I primarily use either Audacious or gmusicbrowser on 12.04 these days due to the small memory footprint and loading speeds (and the fact that Audacious likes ALSA much much more than any of the other music players do - I can't get rhythmbox to bond with anything other than pulseaudio, and ALSA handles bit-perfect playback much better).  I'm dual booting with W8 so I might give the 11.32 a burl with both - but for audio I really only use Ubuntu so I'm hoping for a reasonably
'plug and play' experience (though I'm not too shy about playing around with audio settings and drivers if need be).

Just gave Audacious a try backsideslappy.  Great player with perfect gapless playback.  So far, Audacious and Rhythmbox are the go to players with perfect gapless playback.  I'm using Amarok and Clementine for single tracks on shuffle.

Cheers!

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #714 of 3,093
Just received my 11.3 in the mail this morning - can't wait to get home and set it all up.  Also have ordered a new audioquest forest USB A/B cable, as the stock one looks a touch rudimentary.  Initial comments are that the unit looks pretty well put together - I will probably be itching to get inside it within a few weeks and will likely come back in here and complain when I break something.  Until then, however, I look forward to running through with my DT880s and HD598s and seeing how the 11.32 opens them up.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #716 of 3,093
So I have recently purchased the NFB 11.32.

I am using foobar2000 with the audio Gd Kernal Streaming as output.  This seems to work better than the VIA ASIO for whatever reason.  Also seems to be working better than the optical too, where i was getting some cracks and pops, but I think that was due to the on board sound.  Also got even more when using a X-Fi, but that is the X-Fi's problem not the NFB 11.32.  I plan on picking up a Xonar DG to output optical to the nfb 11.32 for dolby headphone support.

I have m-Audio BX5 D2 monitors hooked up to the DAC output and my headphones plugged into the headphone port.  Whenever I play audio out of the headphones the speakers seem to also pick up the audio, so it looks like the signal is leaking.  Is there any way to prevent this or do I have to power off my speakers every time I decide to switch to headphones? 

Also I have been wondering...

There were several small cables and jumpers in a bag along with an IC in styrofoam that were shipped along with the NFB 11.32 what are these for?

As far as it getting hot:

Yes it does get hot, but never when it is not powered on and not to the point of burning my hand.  It is 40C outside and in the summer here, but I have the AC in my house running.  i have left my hand on there for a minute after having used the nfb 11.32 all day with no problems.

The biggest issues I am having it that the audio at the start of a song seems to be clipped in that the first couple of seconds are not present, this isnt always the case but happens fairly regularly.  Also it has a quick pop every time I change songs, is there a way to fix these issues?

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #717 of 3,093
Quote:

The biggest issues I am having it that the audio at the start of a song seems to be clipped in that the first couple of seconds are not present, this isnt always the case but happens fairly regularly.  Also it has a quick pop every time I change songs, is there a way to fix these issues?

Do you have these issues when working with optical too? I am working with SPDIF and do not have such issues.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #718 of 3,093
Absolutely, I cant seem to get rid of them.  When using the optical I would get even more pops because I would either have to be using my on-board sound or my X-Fi.  The X-Fi doesnt seem to mesh with the rest of the hardware and is having the cracking and popping issue that seems to be unfixable.  The on-board was better but there still seemed to be some sounds present that should not have been.  That could be the fact that i was using WASAPI on the on-board and have had piss poor results with WASAPI regardless of what device was trying to use it.  WASAPI over USB with the NFB 11.32 is effed too (ASIO was better on NFB but still poppy), thats why I am Kernal Streaming over USB.  The on-board did not have an ASIO option afaik, and DS would lose the bit-perfectness but honestly works pretty damn good, as in no pops.  The settings I am currently using seem to have the fewest pops of the bit perfect streams, as the song itself doesnt pop, just the act of starting the song causes the pop.  If the song just shuffles on to the next song there are no pops.  It is only during a manual start.  It may happen during pause/restart as well but I havent been doing that as much as selecting a new song.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #719 of 3,093
Quote:
Absolutely, I cant seem to get rid of them.  When using the optical I would get even more pops because I would either have to be using my on-board sound or my X-Fi.  The X-Fi doesnt seem to mesh with the rest of the hardware and is having the cracking and popping issue that seems to be unfixable.  The on-board was better but there still seemed to be some sounds present that should not have been.  That could be the fact that i was using WASAPI on the on-board and have had piss poor results with WASAPI regardless of what device was trying to use it.  WASAPI over USB with the NFB 11.32 is effed too (ASIO was better on NFB but still poppy), thats why I am Kernal Streaming over USB.  The on-board did not have an ASIO option afaik, and DS would lose the bit-perfectness but honestly works pretty damn good, as in no pops.  The settings I am currently using seem to have the fewest pops of the bit perfect streams, as the song itself doesnt pop, just the act of starting the song causes the pop.  If the song just shuffles on to the next song there are no pops.  It is only during a manual start.  It may happen during pause/restart as well but I havent been doing that as much as selecting a new song.

I've used the Hifimediy Sabre DAC and "CM6631A 24bit/192khz USB to Coaxial Optical fiber by weiliang" as USB-2-SPDIF converters, both worked fine.
The Hifimediy gets NFB-11.32 up to 48Khz, the Weiliang converter gets it up to 96Khz. Both cost about 50$ shipped.
Did not use WASAPI/ASIO - did you try disabling them? Did you try another computer? Or another cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back