Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #676 of 3,093
Quote:
I have received my NFB-11.32 yesterday.
It's an amazing device, great example of what ES9018 is capable of.
Just wish it had an input to use it as a standalone amplifier.

Is it my imagination, or does the SPDIF input sound better than USB?

with the usb you have to go through some headache of choosing wasapi or whatever the hell there is to it... spdif makes it so much easier...

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #677 of 3,093
Having a bit of trouble with the software at the minute. So my laptop broke and I am using a different one, still Windows 7. From a fresh install of the OS, I put my collection of FLAC tracks on the laptop and attempted to reinstall the software for the 11.32. I downloaded Version 1.22 because I bought my unit in February, unzipped it and installed it. After the installation was finished, I restarted the laptop. When I was back into the OS, I opened up the Audio GD Deck followed by my music player, Musicbee. In the settings of Musicbee, I selected the Audio GD as the Audio Device and WASAPI as the output, tried to play some songs and nothing. Musicbee freezes and has to be force closed. Then I swap the USB port, no change. Swapped the USB lead, no change. Also depending on the USB port, sometimes the software doesn't work at all.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks guys.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #678 of 3,093
Does anybody own or heard the Dacmini that can make some comparisons with the 11.32. I sold my Maverick Audio A1/D2 combo and was considering the Dacmini PX to power my speakers and as a another headphone amp, but, if the two are close, I will probably get the Nuforce DDA-100 to power the speakers.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #679 of 3,093
Quote:
Does anybody own or heard the Dacmini that can make some comparisons with the 11.32. I sold my Maverick Audio A1/D2 combo and was considering the Dacmini PX to power my speakers and as a another headphone amp, but, if the two are close, I will probably get the Nuforce DDA-100 to power the speakers.

I had briefly compared the Dacmini (with 1 Ohm mod) to Audio gd NFB-12 (same amp part to 11.32) and Audio gd NFB-10.
Dacmini was the smoother, with a nice overall tonality for my tastes.
Conserning detail & resolution it was in the middle of the 2 Audio gds, so perhaps close to your 11.32.
It was limited to low volume levels (no go for me) with the cans you have, comparing to the Audio gds.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #680 of 3,093
Quote:
I had briefly compared the Dacmini (with 1 Ohm mod) to Audio gd NFB-12 (same amp part to 11.32) and Audio gd NFB-10.
Dacmini was the smoother, with a nice overall tonality for my tastes.
Conserning detail & resolution it was in the middle of the 2 Audio gds, so perhaps close to your 11.32.
It was limited to low volume levels (no go for me) with the cans you have, comparing to the Audio gds.

Thanks for your reply. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #681 of 3,093
Has anyone else noticed popping/crackling sounds using optical toslink after about 30 minutes of listening?  Kinda of weird for me since I don't have this problem using usb, but on toslink, it will always work fine for about 30 minutes and then the crackling static noises will kick in.  I can change the settings back to usb and then back to optical again and the static will go away, but will return again after about 30 minutes.  Happens on all bitrate settings.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #682 of 3,093
Hi,

I purchased a NFB-11.32 off someone from the forum and am having some issues getting it working with my Win7 Lenovo T410 Thinkpad.  I tried the v1.22 and v2.0 drivers, but they won't install.  My unit didn't come with a CD, and I'm unsure if it's supposed to come with one.  Through reading, many people have said the v1.1 driver works well.  Any chance someone can hook me up with the USB32 v1.1 driver package?

Also, I've been looking around for some information on how to upgrade the firmware on my unit but have been unsuccessful.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

*edit*
Peter was able to help me out. Now everything works well. :D

TIA,
WG

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #683 of 3,093
I have started using the 11.32 via optical to my laptop as the USB driver was ridiculously frustrating and unreliable. I am not unfamiliar with installing drivers and other software on my computer, but all I have been having with the Audio GD driver software is issues from the start. Depending on which USB port I used, it would not work, if I restarted my laptop, occasionally it would decide not to work again, the Audio GD deck would constantly crash and even gave me BSOD a number of times. I am using a W7 laptop (for reference).

Now that I have switched to the optical cable however, I am getting much better results. The imaging has improved, the level of detail is far better and using the optical cable is far easier as it is simply plug and play instead of going through the ordeal of the driver. I was only luck that my laptop had a optical out jack.

Of course I have read here that many people have been successful in using the provided drivers, but I can only speak from my own experiences, which have been on 2 separate computers. The 11.32 is a great piece of equipment, only held back at the moment due to software problems. YMMV.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #684 of 3,093
Since I purchased my unit secondhand I suspect the original driver CD was missing from my package. It was also purchased sometime in 2012 by the original owner. The USB32 driver packs on the Audio-GD site wouldn't work with the firmware version loaded on my unit, but when I installed firmware v4 the USB32 v1.21 drivers worked. I'm currently using Foobar v1.22 with VIA ASIO audio output.

WG

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #685 of 3,093
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed popping/crackling sounds using optical toslink after about 30 minutes of listening?  Kinda of weird for me since I don't have this problem using usb, but on toslink, it will always work fine for about 30 minutes and then the crackling static noises will kick in.  I can change the settings back to usb and then back to optical again and the static will go away, but will return again after about 30 minutes.  Happens on all bitrate settings.

Hey Gary,

What OS and player are you using?  No popping at all on my end.  I'm using the 11.32 on my desk with the optical input going to a Vista x64 desktop and the usb input with a W8 laptop and the RCA outs connected to a tube amp.  Players I'm using- Foobar, uLilith, iTunes, MediaMonkey and MusicBee.

Cheers!

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #686 of 3,093
I'm using win7 64biy with foobar2000. It doesn't happen only with the player but also happens when I'm streaming TV shows online. Sound will be fine for about 20-30 minutes then I'll get popping sounds which goes away if I switch audio output to usb and then back to optical again.

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #687 of 3,093
I got that issue once or twice when I first installed the USB-32 interface in my NFB-10. Ever since, I've been making sure that I turn on the DAC before turning on the PC and it hasn't happened again. Don't know if that's a coincidence, but worth a shot.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #688 of 3,093
That issue haven't happen to me yet with the USB-32, Tho when I watch movies or tv shows, Because of how jacked up Comcast's Xfintiy player is with the volume, I have to use the SVM on the sound just so i can hear what ever i watching. Comcast really need to either change what they use for there web player or fix there existing one.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #689 of 3,093
Quote:
fiio e9 is a low quality amp but it is not bad with hd650 and a very good cheap option for those who cannot afford higher setups... there are so many better options ofcourse...

hd650 scales up a lot with more expensive amps... it literally changes into a really incredible headphone with higher end gear... ofcourse it is still good with low end gear like a o2/odac combo
yes 11.32 and 15.32 do not lack power at all but their sound signature differ...
he500 has a lot of treble and for some a warmer amp might be better but detail perception might suffer
about bad recordings... i think he500 is a lot more forgiving than hd650...
i like the airy sound of the hd650 to the liquidy planar sound
and i disagree about the differences... they are big... both have great mids but the bass and treble differ widely... also the difference of the liquidy planar sound makes it a major difference...

The best DAC/Amp combo I have heard with the HD 650s FOR THE MONEY is the Audio-dg NFB-10 (with balanced HD 650s). You can get the HD 650s and NFB-10.32 for pretty close to $1000, never mind the amp alone, and, at least to me, the combo is pretty hard to beat unless your budget is multiples of that. (I don't have an NFB-10.32, but the older NFB-10WM with USB-32 upgrade)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back