Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #2,596 of 3,093
USB model: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz , 192kHz, 352.8kHz,384kHz
Optical model: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz

Thanks Levanter. In any case I ordered a cheap PCIe sound card since my PC doesn't have an optical out. As long as I can solve the annoying problems, caused by I presume a buggy usb driver, then I'm happy. Lower max sample rate support is definitely a non-issue for me.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #2,598 of 3,093
But be aware that in respect to digital timing and jitter, optical is technical inferior to a good (a-synchronous) usb connection.

Do you think this is something that will be noticeable at all over a short (1.8m) cable?

EDIT

Also apparently the sabre chip is supposed to have jitter correction so I guess jitter is not likely to be a problem at all. Anyway I'll try to AB between the optical and usb connections but I highly doubt I'll notice any audible difference.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2,602 of 3,093
Do you think this is something that will be noticeable at all over a short (1.8m) cable?
Also apparently the sabre chip is supposed to have jitter correction so I guess jitter is not likely to be a problem at all. Anyway I'll try to AB between the optical and usb connections but I highly doubt I'll notice any audible difference.

I haven't done much serious listening tests to compare optical vs. usb, but ....
Apart from buying this fantastic NFB-11.28, I also updated the usb receiver in my older NFB-3 to the same Amanero Combo 384 that is in the NFB-11.28.
(the NFB-3 is playing over my (rather high-end) speakers)

So now for the first time in years it is playing in a-synchronous mode.
When I heard it for the first time, I had the sensation that the sound had definitely improved even a bit more.
Strangely enough perhaps not in the high frequencies, but it seems more transparent in the bass/low-mid area.
And generally it feels as if the whole sound has some more (relaxed) authority.
Maybe I am imagining things a bit, but it sounds fantastic and I am enjoying the upgrade very much.
(and I am not going to spoil the fun by making it some scientific comparison project :wink:

I am curious to learn if you experience any differences when you compare your usb vs optical.
But you are probably right that it will make much less difference with these new Sabre chips. (if any at all)

p.s.
I think the length of the optical cable is not the most important factor, but the amount of bends/bending it is.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #2,603 of 3,093
@jist I actually ended up cancelling my order for the sound card and optical cable a few minutes ago.

I realized after reading a majority of the very helpful responses in this thread that connecting through optical would not actually solve my own problem. Apart from the clicking on sound start/end and the sound delay I wasn't experiencing any other additional issues such as popping sounds in the middle of playback that other people were reporting. My issues, I found, were a result of the mute relay which cannot be bypassed in my version since it doesn't have a switch for that at the back. A big thank you goes to the person that posted the very helpful pic as to how to cut a specific wire that will disable the mute relay altogether.

Now I'm back to loving this absolute marvel of a product (apart from this small issue :p). This story had a happy ending afterall it seems :D

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #2,604 of 3,093
Noob question: Isn't es9028 a downgrade from 9018 as dynamic range goes? (135db vs 129db) I guess the implementation plays a role and maybe doesn't squeeze the utmost performance from the chip but still...
Also i see jumpers and tons of settings: warm sound flavor, digital filter setting for dsd and pcm (i guess it changes latency or...) what settings are factory default? This is all beyond me.
Glad to see that they renounce the mute relay so no more annoyances on that part. Hope to see future comments about the amanero implementation whether it gives bsod's, incompatibilities or any other issues that i can't think of right now.
Let the comments commence!

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,605 of 3,093
Hi,

I found this table on : http://www.dimdim.gr
"
"ESS announces the successors to the ES9018S, the ES9028Pro& ES9038Pro chips.These chips have a brand new digital core, much improved from the ES9018. There are new digital filters, a new DPLL system, new THD compensation features, a new gain compensation function, etc.
The ES9028Pro is supposed to be an ES9018S with an updated digital core, while the ES9038Pro is supposed to be an ES9028Pro with 4 times the output stages, resulting in an extreme output current capability. This very high current would be the reason why its DNR and THD+N performance would be off-the-charts. But it also meant that all of the existing I/V stages that were designed for the ES9018 would not work for the ES9038Pro. As of this writing, neither Twisted Pear Audio or Acko have on offering proper I/V analog stages.

I made this little table to give you a better idea of the differences between the old and new chips:
upload_2017-7-4_14-19-4.png

"
/Jan

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #2,607 of 3,093
Nice find, thanks! I was basing my statement via their homepage 9018 and 9028 in the latter they didn't specify if it is mono 129db or as i see now 8ch. I was mislead thinking that, like most advertising they would put the absolute max. But the most interesting part is that 9038 is pin compatible with 9018. If that's so then should we expect in the future to see a nfb 11 equipped with 9038? or is just me being delusional to see that at nfb11 price point... and maybe as implementation goes on nfb11 it would serve no purpose to put a better chip.

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,608 of 3,093
One important feature that was introduced with the 9028/9038 is the programmable THD compensation.
That enables the manufacturer to make adjustments to the algorithm to compensate for distortion in the analogue circuitry.
I am guessing that Kingwa has used and tweaked that feature very well...

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,609 of 3,093
No doubt about it. Ah the more i look at nfb11.28 the more it seems like a gem. I'm strongly thinking this year to upgrade from my 11.32(2014 ver).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back