Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jun 27, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2,566 of 3,093
Hi,

I have been owning and using NFB-11's starting from the first edition in 2011 of it with the Tenor 7022 USB chip. No 2 is the NFB-11.32 with the Via-USB chip. My 11.32 don't support DSD but it has served me really well for many listening hours over the years. I have now replaced the 11.32 with the new NFB-11.28. I have very good experence of the Amanero384 and it performs better than the Via-based USB-interface. Along with the other upgraded areas I couldn't resist to buy the 11.28.

First. The size of the new NFB-11.28 is bigger than my 11.32.

The functions are the same plus the DSD-ability along with the filters and the choice for a warmer presentation of the sound. The new 11.28 also have a bigger and more powerful transformer than my 11.32. I use it both as a dac to feed an amplifier and for headphones.

Out of the box, the 11.28 sounded equal or better than its predecessor. I have it burning in with music playing on it all around the clock... for a week now and the difference is more clear in advance for the .28, which in fact is significally better already. (It also should be) This is very promising. The ES9028 Pro chip has a bit higher spec than the ES9018. The music flows easier and are more enjoyable with 11.28. I will test the filtering later but now during the burn in period I will keep it in default mode.

Over all I think this new NFB-11.28 is very good value for the money. It is a bargin and I know that Audio-gd pushes themselves to keep the price for this, such a competent but relatively small product. If You have the money and will keep a small footprint and still want quality-reproduction of music and other.... Go for it. It is very hard to beat in this pricerange ~300US$

/Jan

Outside of adding the two jumpers for what's supposedly a warmer signature, what other filters are you referring to?

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2,567 of 3,093
Hi,

I have been owning and using NFB-11's starting from the first edition in 2011 of it with the Tenor 7022 USB chip. My 11 don't support DSD but it has served me really well for many listening hours over the years. I have now replaced the old 11 with the new NFB-11.28. I have very good experence of the Amanero384 and it is fantastic to get it inside this small sized (dac/HP-amp). Along with the other upgraded areas I couldn't resist to buy the 11.28.

First. The size of the new NFB-11.28 is bigger than my old NFB-11

The functions are the same plus the DSD-ability along with the filters and the choice for a warmer presentation of the sound. The new 11.28 also have a bigger and more powerful transformer than my old 11. I use it both as a dac to feed an amplifier and for headphones.

Out of the box, the 11.28 sounded equal or better than its predecessor. I have it burning in with music playing on it all around the clock... for a week now and the difference is more clear in advance for the .28, which in fact is significally better already. (It also should be) This is very promising. The ES9028 Pro chip has a bit higher spec than the ES9018. The music flows easier and are more enjoyable with 11.28. I will test the filtering later but now during the burn in period I will keep it in default mode.

Over all I think this new NFB-11.28 is very good value for the money. It is a bargin and I know that Audio-gd pushes themselves to keep the price for this, such a competent but relatively small product. If You have the money and will keep a small footprint and still want quality-reproduction of music and other.... Go for it. It is very hard to beat in this pricerange ~300US$

/Jan
I'm so impressed with the NFB 11.32 that I'm now contemplating to get the NFB 28.38 with the Sabre ES9038 Pro :)

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB28.38/NFB28.38EN.htm

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,569 of 3,093
Hi Francisk,

"I'm so impressed with the NFB 11.32 that I'm now contemplating to get the NFB 28.38 with the Sabre ES9038 Pro :)"

Off topic...but Yes. -A good choice! I think the NFB28's are among the best value You can get for Your money. It is gear on another level. Balanced and with a good preamp.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #2,570 of 3,093
I'm still having issues with USB connectivity on my NFB-11.32. I'm trying to get Kingwa to exchange it for a 11.28 in hope the new USB interface solves my problems, but it doesn't seem like I can even get a refund unless tests at their end show problems. Normally I would be OK with that, however since they can't even diagnose wide spread issues with their own drivers, I don't have a lot of faith in their testing process. It's a real shame as it sounds great, but without a reliable USB connection it isn't really much good to me.

I'm really starting to wish i just got a Jotunheim

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #2,575 of 3,093
I'm still having issues with USB connectivity on my NFB-11.32. I'm trying to get Kingwa to exchange it for a 11.28 in hope the new USB interface solves my problems, but it doesn't seem like I can even get a refund unless tests at their end show problems. Normally I would be OK with that, however since they can't even diagnose wide spread issues with their own drivers, I don't have a lot of faith in their testing process. It's a real shame as it sounds great, but without a reliable USB connection it isn't really much good to me.

I'm really starting to wish i just got a Jotunheim
I have had tons of weirdness with USB interface as well. And now using optical. Works great. Also, I totally NOT confirming it's being plug and play with the mac. I never got it to work. The amp itself, paired with HD650 is like a blessing to your ears ..

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #2,577 of 3,093
Well, just received my 11.28. Excellent build and sound, I am very satisfied with this guy.

About the USB drivers, I have windows 10 with the latest updates and I don't have problems with the USB drivers. I use musicbee as my music player. The device works nicely with the DirectSound option. If you are going to choose ASIO, I recommended changing the configuration of Windows to another device, such as the internal audio card.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,578 of 3,093
I have had tons of weirdness with USB interface as well. And now using optical. Works great. Also, I totally NOT confirming it's being plug and play with the mac. I never got it to work. The amp itself, paired with HD650 is like a blessing to your ears ..

I'm having the issue as well; as are a lot of people. I am running it on the latest creators version of windows 10. What bit rate do/did you have the interface set to in the driver properties? So far I have only been able to set it to 16 bit 44100hz (lowest) without spotify crapping itself and my audio cutting in and out with other applications. But even in this "stable state" at the lowest settings, while playing video games the audio will usually cut out after 15 minutes, forcing me to toggle the power switch on the unit only for it to break again in like a minute. I think I will be ordering a optical cable soon.

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #2,579 of 3,093
Does anyone have experience with the Amanero 384 interface? I don't like the idea of having to use an external USB hub at all. Is there anyone that can comment how USB connectivity has been with the new 11.28 units?

I have a Yulong Sabre DA8, which has the Amanero 348 interface. The Windows 10 Creators is the one version that worked best with it. I had problems with the Aniversary edition because Cortana was interfering with the ASIO driver. With Cortana enabled, JRiver was not able to use the ASIO direct connection. The issue was solved either disabling Cortana (by Group Policy Editor) or using a different audio device as Windows audio default. I used the PC optical output connected to the DA8 and then chosed the DAC input according the source (USB for JRiver and Optical for everything else). With Creator Edition, I can leave the DA8 as the default audio device. Even so, sometimes the DAC does not detect the sample rate changing when going from ASIO (96kHz for example) to Windows Direct Sound (44.1kHz), resulting in incorrect sound. To avoid problems, if you want to use your DAC with ASIO, I recommend disabling Cortana.

I've just ordered my NFB-11.28. Let us see if its Amanero interface will behave OK with Windows.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #2,580 of 3,093
I have a Yulong Sabre DA8, which has the Amanero 348 interface. The Windows 10 Creators is the one version that worked best with it. I had problems with the Aniversary edition because Cortana was interfering with the ASIO driver. With Cortana enabled, JRiver was not able to use the ASIO direct connection. The issue was solved either disabling Cortana (by Group Policy Editor) or using a different audio device as Windows audio default. I used the PC optical output connected to the DA8 and then chosed the DAC input according the source (USB for JRiver and Optical for everything else). With Creator Edition, I can leave the DA8 as the default audio device. Even so, sometimes the DAC does not detect the sample rate changing when going from ASIO (96kHz for example) to Windows Direct Sound (44.1kHz), resulting in incorrect sound. To avoid problems, if you want to use your DAC with ASIO, I recommend disabling Cortana.

I've just ordered my NFB-11.28. Let us see if its Amanero interface will behave OK with Windows.

Good luck... I'm buying a optical cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back