Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Aug 22, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,426 of 3,093
OK got it working with Jriver and my games.  Sounds pretty good so far.  Only complaint is build quality.  The feet or the unit is unbalanced and does not rest on all 4 feet.  I guess for the price compared to other amps/dacs with this chip I can't complain.  Yulong sure looks a lot nicer, but is twice as expensive.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,428 of 3,093
Sure you aren't missing a foot on the bottom? The chassis is metal. Seems less likely it would be warped.

Nope.  Got all 4 feet.  Never had an issue with the Schiit bifrost which was under a schiit valhalla that I just sold as I wanted something that was not as wide to give me back some desktop space.  It is definitely the unit as I have put it on other surfaces and it still has a slight wobble. Maybe one of the feet is just slightly taller by 2mm.  It's not big deal, just thought it seemed cheap.   But for the price this thing checks all the right boxes.   I don't think there's a cheaper dac/amp with the 9018 chip that I wanted.

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,429 of 3,093
Weird? Feet quality control. (lol)

You might try just getting some of those furniture feet pads and putting them on the bottom in other spots. I've seen pretty thick ones, and that should stabilize it.

But yeah. You are right. It seems like to me most other DAC/amps with that Sabre chip are a lot more. Does it compare well with your Schiit setup?

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,430 of 3,093
  OK got it working with Jriver and my games.  Sounds pretty good so far.  Only complaint is build quality.  The feet or the unit is unbalanced and does not rest on all 4 feet.  I guess for the price compared to other amps/dacs with this chip I can't complain.  Yulong sure looks a lot nicer, but is twice as expensive.

I had the same problem. What I did is loosen, slightly, all the perimeter screws (the darker ones) on the top and bottom. Then on a flat surface, I pressed down lightly on the top of the case until all the feet where level and balanced. Then I carefully retighten all the screws, and the rocking was gone.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #1,431 of 3,093
  I had the same problem. What I did is loosen, slightly, all the perimeter screws (the darker ones) on the top and bottom. Then on a flat surface, I pressed down lightly on the top of the case until all the feet where level and balanced. Then I carefully retighten all the screws, and the rocking was gone.

Thanks this helped out a lot.  There's a slight wobble left so I'll try again when I wake up as I'm too tire to do it again and I don't  want to strip the screw heads.  

Other than that, I really like this a lot.  I did like my old setup too, but it was taking up too much space and I wanted this dac chip.  I wish I had known about this earlier.  I would have saved myself so much more money, but I don't look at a lot of the threads here.  Next time I have the urge to do so, I definitely will take more time in finding something that meets all of my needs and not just most of them.

I'm wondering if I should have put out the extra cash for the compass 2.  From what I can see, it looks like it has better parts in it and is upgradable (something I really would be interested in) but I am not hardcore and probably would not realize much of a difference between the two.   

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #1,432 of 3,093

Thanks this helped out a lot.  There's a slight wobble left so I'll try again when I wake up as I'm too tire to do it again and I don't  want to strip the screw heads.  

Other than that, I really like this a lot.  I did like my old setup too, but it was taking up too much space and I wanted this dac chip.  I wish I had known about this earlier.  I would have saved myself so much more money, but I don't look at a lot of the threads here.  Next time I have the urge to do so, I definitely will take more time in finding something that meets all of my needs and not just most of them.

I'm wondering if I should have put out the extra cash for the compass 2.  From what I can see, it looks like it has better parts in it and is upgradable (something I really would be interested in) but I am not hardcore and probably would not realize much of a difference between the two.   

I bought mine from a US dealer. They didn't have the Compass 2 listed as a stocked item, so I wasn't aware of that model. Overall I'm very happy with the NFB-11(2014) (I guess this is the new name). I'm sort of glad I didn't know about the Compass 2 because I wouldn't have had the extra fund's to purchase the ifi Micro iDSD. It's an incredible piece of kit. A different DAC chip but truly is a 'do everything', swiss army knife. Check out the thread.

As far as the screw issue, it took a couple of times before I got it perfect. That's why I said carefully re-tighten the screws because it's easy to take the case out of alignment again.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,433 of 3,093

Well, and you were going for smaller size, weren't you? Check the specs. The Compass 2 is a good bit bigger.

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #1,435 of 3,093
Well, and you were going for smaller size, weren't you? Check the specs. The Compass 2 is a good bit bigger.

Yeah I didn't think about that.  I did measure the size of the NFB, but didn't for the compass as I was looking at something less expensive because I was considering buying other stuff too to have some extra bucks left over from my schiit valhalla and bifrost uber sales.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #1,436 of 3,093
Finally received my NFB11.

Its the latest version, cooling grills on top and everything.

It arrived very well packed (like a tank actually) with an USB cable, power cable and caps for the RCA outputs.

I did as instructed here on the forums by Kingwa and started the unit after the pc complete boot up.

Installation gave me a 1607 error (something with installshield wizard)  so i installed only the drivers per se (without the Via audio panel).

Opened Aimp, select Wasapi 32bit 384kbit and VOILA !!

The sound is so much richer and detailed than my receiver, i could discerne Madonna tapping her neck thru the music.

The mids, highs and lows are all there. Representation is very neutral and detailed.

I could hear someone laughing during the Creedence Ramble Tamble that i never heard before.

So far im really impressed by the 30min run (lunch time haha) i had with it.

This night i will test more.

Overall im much satisfied (so far), Audio GD personnel kept emailing me about the status of the shipping and the unit after i received it.

Thanks guys.

Is it necessary to install drivers if I'm going to be using Optical cable not USB with my computer?

I plan on using Foobar and Winamp for listening to my music

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,438 of 3,093
Is it necessary to install drivers if I'm going to be using Optical cable not USB with my computer?
I plan on using Foobar and Win-amp for listening to my music

You have no need to add any (win) drivers when using the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) connections on the Audio-GD.

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,440 of 3,093
I had a HifiMeDiy sabre U2 DAC it is a great dac, sadly it's not working any more (device not recognized).

thinking of buying Geek out 720 or 1000 but i saw the audio-gd NFB-11

any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back