Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
May 4, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,191 of 2,569
using a 12v 2a i have no problem,
using the 19v, if the smsl is off and if i'm listening music from nfb via headphones, if i on the smsl, the music disappear from hp, and if i select variable and fixed no music, i must close the music app and reopen for make reappear the music
this don't happen if i use the 12v 2a

ps. this smsl support 12-24v
Seems like an electical issue, spikes of noise disrupting playback. Try a better smps.

May 4, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,193 of 2,569
what is a smps?
Switching mode power supply. You 19v power supply might be a spms. The cheaper, the noisier. For around 20$ or a little more, you should be able to find one of decent quality. Another consideration using the nfb-11 as a pre is how much input voltage your smls can handle. You could have issues if raising the volume too much on the nfb-11. If the smsl has volume control, it should be maxed if you want to use the nfb11 as a preamp.

May 4, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #2,194 of 2,569
Switching mode power supply. You 19v power supply might be a spms. The cheaper, the noisier. For around 20$ or a little more, you should be able to find one of decent quality. Another consideration using the nfb-11 as a pre is how much input voltage your smls can handle. You could have issues if raising the volume too much on the nfb-11. If the smsl has volume control, it should be maxed if you want to use the nfb11 as a preamp.
i bought this https://it.gearbest.com/led-accessories/pp_1496821.html?wid=1433363
hope that will be good..
however my 12v 2a is a cheap power supply but don't cause that problem

yes, i can use as preamp by maxing the volume and using the variable output
do you think that is better?

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2,197 of 2,569
Hi,

At home I have now for comparing the 11.28 and the R2R, and the first impressions are that both are excellent piece of equipments!
During next weeks I will test them with my headphone collection and then decide wich one to keep ( if not both ).
Nevertheless first impressions are good, very good indeed.

We look forward to your detailed feedback and impressions about comparing them both!
Be sure to write what you left yourself and why.

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,198 of 2,569
Hi guys, is the NFB 11.28 still worth it nowadays ? I am thinking of getting a used unit for around 250E. What do you think? are there other alternatives in this price range ? (EU based) In terms of output, i have Senn 6XX and Hifiman HE4XX. Currently running SMSL M3 dac/amp combo

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,199 of 2,569
Jun 6, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #2,200 of 2,569
Wonder if there's a big or just a very small different or even can't noticeable on the 2019 version,the website state that it reduce the DSD noise.I need to know the difference because i can either choose a new one or a very lightly used set for half of the new set price.
It's not just dsd. You get a slightly better sound with pcm as the da8 board have been updated to v2, implying improved hw.

Jun 19, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #2,204 of 2,569
For anyone interested, I hit a point with my second system(using an nfb11) that I'm very happy with.

Equipment:
-HTPC
-Audio-GD NFB-11
-Topaz 91092-12(only the nfb11 on this)
-Supra USB to an Uptone USB Regen(fed by a Jameco Reliapro 9v linear regulated psu into a lt3042, and then a starquad dc cable into the regen), uptone uspcb into a Breeze DU-U8, optical toslink to the nfb11.
-Using a pair of Hifiman HE-400is with some modding, Dekoni LCD Velour pads, custom rear grills with thin open cell foam and wire grate, melamine fuzzors on rear magnets, and lined the inside of the cups with sorbothane(no resonances yay!).

So even at this point I still had a desire to upgrade the NFB11 and was looking for an older big combo unit from Audio-GD, was also considering an iso regen and ultracap lps(I've tested on this system and it made a nice difference in terms of detail, rendering OOYHs virtualization better than over optical).

But then I picked up a used VH Audio Flavor 2 cable for between the Topaz and the NFB11 and I'm very satisfied with the sound now. Not sure what to attribute it to, maybe some noise reduction from the lower inductance of the cable, the cryod wires, regardless, utterly clean and full sounding, very detailed with 0 fatigue, all the descriptors ;]

So ya.. a nice well made power cable, low inductance from twisted pair or star quad geometry, counter spiraled ground, and cryod materials, bought cheap used, sweet!

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #2,205 of 2,569
Now that I have upgraded the HifiMAN HE400S with Mogami cable (Focus A pads already installed and not going anywhere!), I have fired up the R2R-11 again over the last few days and discovered that not only has the R2R become even more alive at nearer the 500 hour mark (just as Kingwa said it would), the HE400S now sound rather good with this DAC/amp!
Something has definitely happened to the R2R, as it has become even 'faster' and more dynamic that it was quite some hours ago, no matter what headphone I use with it. Dynamic range seems to have expanded and the sheer speed of drum kits and guitars has somewhat shocked me, bringing even more life and drama to the astounding dynamics on Ani DiFranco's Living In Clip pair of live albums, damn that woman can play! Andy Stochanski on drums reminds me of a cross between animal on Sesame Street - :) :) - and Keith Moon but with more refinement. Wow. I have simply not heard the R2R like this before and although, no, it does not resolve the fine detail and sublime focus that I get through the Mimby/Slinkylinks silver cables/Elekit TU8500 valve preamp and hot-rodded h/phone amp, it is just so much fun to listen too while being different! And a lot less cabling and space taken up to boot. It seriously kicks butt down the bottom end, with both weight and taut focus, there is a visceral aspect to the R2R's amplifier which I really like, seemingly unfazed by anything at all. Love it for that. Value for money is outstanding for an all in one package and I'm a big fan of the build quality.
Since there is plenty of grunt to power the HE400S (they're still not that efficient, despite the 22 ohm impedance .. my 600 ohm HD540 Ref1s are still actually easier to drive initially) I switched between hi and lo gain and the difference now seems to much clearer between the two. Although you get a slightly punchier more dramatic sound with the gain on high, switching to low gain there is definitely a greater refinement and relaxation of the soundstage into a more open listening experience, the various instruments tend to spread out a little into their own space, where going back to high gain crams things up a bit and in last night's case, added a little cramping of the s/stage and a touch of coarseness to the treble. I preferred low gain with that album in particular. That visceral bass impact lessens only very slightly, yet retains the focused punchy tautness and detail, actually better balanced from top to bottom in some cases.
I couldn't hear such differentiation a month or two ago and now it's quite obvious after quite a few more hours on the R2R-11. The upgrades to the HE400S have allowed me to hear things more clearly now - the Ref1s are always brilliant, but it's the HE 400S I like with the R2R, a bit of a turnaround now that they have their much better cable, as if they are better driven now.

When I first got the R2R-11 many months ago, I paired it with my Sennheiser HD6XX, and it sounded...kind of bad actually. I didn't like it, and I was thinking about trying to sell this DAC or something.

Thanks to this thread, and your recommendation in particular, I bit the bullet and bought the HE400S. HOLY PANTS. These go *wonderfully* together. I'm happy that I get to keep the R2R-11 and get some great use out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back