Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #2,206 of 2,569
When I first got the R2R-11 many months ago, I paired it with my Sennheiser HD6XX, and it sounded...kind of bad actually. I didn't like it, and I was thinking about trying to sell this DAC or something.

Thanks to this thread, and your recommendation in particular, I bit the bullet and bought the HE400S. HOLY PANTS. These go *wonderfully* together. I'm happy that I get to keep the R2R-11 and get some great use out of it.
Well, I'm very happy to have been of some service :) I sold my HD6xx because they couldn't compete with my 30 year old HD540 Ref1s (with 'wang' pleather pads and Mogami cable), the second time I've sold on the HD650s in favour of my most favourite headphones in 45 years of hifi buffery :) I did actually improve my HE400S by buying a pair of the Focus A pads, which as their name suggests improved focus and bass depth and then made my own Mogami cable for them, as I have done for all of my headphones. You may be just as happy with the stock HE400S and R2R-11 as is, you're certainly enjoying them. Kingwa is definitely correct in that the R2R-11 just seems to get better when it's had a lot of hours on it and is well warmed up.

Jun 25, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #2,208 of 2,569
Can anyone comment on how either of these pair with the beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm?

Thankyou
I do not have the DT880, I can speak for the R2R11 pairing extremely well with the T1.1 600ohm.
Maybe somebody with the 880 will post soon with a definitive answer for you :)

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #2,210 of 2,569
Can anyone comment on how either of these pair with the beyerdynamic dt880 600ohm?

Thankyou

The R2R 11 pairs extremely well with my 600ohm DT880's. The warmer nature of the R2R takes the edge off the treble (ever so slightly) - makes them really sing. Bass is very well extended and controlled, overall sound is very clear and airy. I don't think you can go wrong with the pairing.

Jun 26, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #2,211 of 2,569
The R2R 11 pairs extremely well with my 600ohm DT880's. The warmer nature of the R2R takes the edge off the treble (ever so slightly) - makes them really sing. Bass is very well extended and controlled, overall sound is very clear and airy. I don't think you can go wrong with the pairing.
I agree the R2R11 is great for resolving headphones, it warms them up ever so slightly and makes the highs highly detailed with no harshness.
I am in audio heaven at the moment with the the R2R11 and the HD800, the bass slams if recorded that way and there is no sibelance in the highs that I read others speak of.

I could not be happier with the DAC Amp :)

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #2,213 of 2,569
Hi all,
Have been reading reviews etc on this and everything has been positive with the exception of this one.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-audio-gd-r2r11-dac-amp.5779/

Can anyone comment on the issues identified and how these correlate to real life usage vs measurements?

Thankyou

Someone else just shared that review earlier today in a separate recommendation thread. It's a shame that it's the first result in a google search, because that review doesn't do the R2R-11 justice. Sure, it has some flaws and the sound isn't for everyone, but it's still an excellent entryway into this hobby and a fine, analog-sounding DAC. To cut a little closer to your question, great measuring gear doesn't necessarily sound good, and great sounding gear doesn't necessarily measure well. Better to trust your ears (or the ears of someone who shares your tastes) over someone's chart.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #2,214 of 2,569
Someone else just shared that review earlier today in a separate recommendation thread. It's a shame that it's the first result in a google search, because that review doesn't do the R2R-11 justice. Sure, it has some flaws and the sound isn't for everyone, but it's still an excellent entryway into this hobby and a fine, analog-sounding DAC. To cut a little closer to your question, great measuring gear doesn't necessarily sound good, and great sounding gear doesn't necessarily measure well. Better to trust your ears (or the ears of someone who shares your tastes) over someone's chart.
Thankyou
That is what I thought, I had only read people praising this device until someone shared this... Now on the fence.

Would you mind linking to that reccomendation?

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #2,215 of 2,569
Thankyou
That is what I thought, I had only read people praising this device until someone shared this... Now on the fence.

The R2R 11 has a warmer analogue tube like tilt that works so well with brighter headphones both my Beyer T1.1 and HD800 sound incredible to me with the R2R 1. No EQ needed, nice deep sub bass when in the recording, treble response is resolving but not harsh.

I do not care if it does not measure well on chart, it measures well to my preference in sound quality and that is what matters.

Jul 1, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #2,216 of 2,569
These non feedback amplifiers have a treble quality that is second to none. The smoothest you'll encounter except for a tube amp, which most often will be less accurate.

So with them, you can enjoy cans with a pass-through characteristic like most planars.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,217 of 2,569
Hi all,
Have been reading reviews etc on this and everything has been positive with the exception of this one.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-audio-gd-r2r11-dac-amp.5779/

Can anyone comment on the issues identified and how these correlate to real life usage vs measurements?

Thankyou

They go by measures. I am sorry, but I think its crazy. its like buying a car based on just written factory specs. I know I wouldn't buy a car unless I test drive it or at least watch or read a review of somebody who really drove it. Here is a link to an informative video that anyone interested in audio science should listen to. I like Mr. Novak's remark on this video where he says: "Not all that counts can be counted, Not all that can be counted counts" (Found on Einstein's Wall) "Not all that matters can be measured, Not all that can be measured, matters"

John Novak’s 2015 RMAF presentation

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,218 of 2,569
Thankyou

Would you mind linking to that reccomendation?
Those measurements are torture tests and meaningless for what you actually hear, all they actually show is a lack of feedback in the circuits, which is a good thing, because what the measurements dont show is distorted transients and delay from feedback, how could they? They frame the measurements as being negative because they have a bias, and if you have knowledge on the subject and you read their reviews red flags pop up everywhere. Avoid that site.

What you're actually getting with the r2r11 is resistor ladder digital to analog conversion, technically more precise than sigma chips, non feedback current signal amplifiers, ultra short uncolored signal paths, no delay or distorted transients from feedback, and discrete and double stage regulation, the analog amplifiers are able to render all the data, which well measuring gear often cant do due to feedback, multiple gain stages, inferior power supplies, etc. At a very affordable price, i.e. not $3,000 to 30,000 for msb dcs or ...heh... comparable equipment ;]

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2,219 of 2,569
Those measurements are torture tests and meaningless for what you actually hear, all they actually show is a lack of feedback in the circuits, which is a good thing, because what the measurements dont show is distorted transients and delay from feedback, how could they? They frame the measurements as being negative because they have a bias, and if you have knowledge on the subject and you read their reviews red flags pop up everywhere. Avoid that site.

What you're actually getting with the r2r11 is resistor ladder digital to analog conversion, technically more precise than sigma chips, non feedback current signal amplifiers, ultra short uncolored signal paths, no delay or distorted transients from feedback, and discrete and double stage regulation, the analog amplifiers are able to render all the data, which well measuring gear often cant do due to feedback, multiple gain stages, inferior power supplies, etc. At a very affordable price, i.e. not $3,000 to 30,000 for msb dcs or ...heh... comparable equipment ;]
Well said. The r2r-11 is really one of a kind at that price point and is really a joy to listen to.

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,220 of 2,569
Well, I'm very happy to have been of some service :) I sold my HD6xx because they couldn't compete with my 30 year old HD540 Ref1s (with 'wang' pleather pads and Mogami cable), the second time I've sold on the HD650s in favour of my most favourite headphones in 45 years of hifi buffery :) I did actually improve my HE400S by buying a pair of the Focus A pads, which as their name suggests improved focus and bass depth and then made my own Mogami cable for them, as I have done for all of my headphones. You may be just as happy with the stock HE400S and R2R-11 as is, you're certainly enjoying them. Kingwa is definitely correct in that the R2R-11 just seems to get better when it's had a lot of hours on it and is well warmed up.

I had a gift certificate, and I ended up getting those Focus A pads, and now I have a surprisingly simple question I can't find the answer to - which way do I position the thick end of the pads? Up, down, or facing forward or behind my ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back