Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,126 of 2,569
Well, my R2R 11 is here : ) Testing it right now with my LCD2, everything not burned in XD . Will post my impressions later but for now... I cant play DSD256 and DSD512, foobar pops with an error "could not start ASIO" or if i change to Wasapi it says "unsupported sample rate". Other DSD formats play fine so something is wrong here. If someone can point me to a proper configuration in foobar i would be glad! Thanks!

PS. Which driver is supposed to have the best SQ? Plain ASIO? DSD ASIO? WASAPI? Smells like newbie here xD

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #1,127 of 2,569
lol in fact using those "tools" is how manufacturer build audio gear, they don't just solder things in a board and wish everything goes well.
That is right but some things can't be measured properly, like frequency response. If you take jitter into account, you get a picture that is very different from the measurements. Thus dacs with perfectly flat response can have significantly different tonal balance. The problem with measurement is exactly that: they have limitations that make them unreliable to judge of sound quality. But as you said, they are useful to do quality control. To a certain extent. You have to use a human being, as audio-gd does, to make a pass-fail call.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,129 of 2,569
As far as I know, ASIO and Wasapi take exclusive control over Windows resources. If you would like to listen to music and watch your favourite Youtube channel simulteanously you need Direcsound, but you will sacrifice the better music quality. As an acceptable workaround, I use Firefox to start the video stream and use captions where they are available.

This wasn't the case with my older NFB-11 (2014 I believe). I could use it with Foobar2000 and still use an hear all system sounds. this change annoys me with the R2R 11 a bit.

Also I've seemed to have lost the ability to use Equalizer APO since moving to the R2R 11. I was expecting it to behave the same way my old FNB-11 did, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I still think I prefer it to the muting the NFB-11 did, but it seems to be choose you poison kind of situation :frowning2:

I'm hoping someone will say, "oh, you set ip up wrong. Do XYZ and everything will work the way you want and it will be sunshine, roses and audio bliss from now on". Fingers crossed.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #1,130 of 2,569
That's what I'm referring to. It can be a little annoying.
Gotcha! I agree, though I believe there's a firmware update that fixes it? I just haven't bothered getting it :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,131 of 2,569
Gotcha! I agree, though I believe there's a firmware update that fixes it? I just haven't bothered getting it :)

Firmware update? Must be referring to the iDSD BL. I tried to update when I got it but wasn't sure how, But I thought it was on the latest firmware. Apparently not as it still cuts of the beginning of my music. I'll have to look into it sometime and make sure I get it updated.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,132 of 2,569
This wasn't the case with my older NFB-11 (2014 I believe). I could use it with Foobar2000 and still use an hear all system sounds. this change annoys me with the R2R 11 a bit.

Also I've seemed to have lost the ability to use Equalizer APO since moving to the R2R 11. I was expecting it to behave the same way my old FNB-11 did, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I still think I prefer it to the muting the NFB-11 did, but it seems to be choose you poison kind of situation :frowning2:

I'm hoping someone will say, "oh, you set ip up wrong. Do XYZ and everything will work the way you want and it will be sunshine, roses and audio bliss from now on". Fingers crossed.

If you are using Foobar2000 is ASIO or WASAPI mode and playing a song or even have a song on "pause", then not being able to hear anything else is the correct behavior. That is the whole point of ASIO and WASAPI mode. You have to press "stop" in Foobar2000 or close out Foobar2000 completely in order to hear anything other than Foobar2000 while using ASIO or WASAPI modes.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,134 of 2,569
If you are using Foobar2000 is ASIO or WASAPI mode and playing a song or even have a song on "pause", then not being able to hear anything else is the correct behavior. That is the whole point of ASIO and WASAPI mode. You have to press "stop" in Foobar2000 or close out Foobar2000 completely in order to hear anything other than Foobar2000 while using ASIO or WASAPI modes.

Hummm, perhaps I was using the wrong driver in Foobar2000. When I build my expanded desk (listening, testing area) I'll eventually set it on on one of my laptops and check the setup.

Yep, just tried it. I must of been using the DirectSound driver in Foobar2000.

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #1,135 of 2,569
Some time ago I discovered by chance that that the Amanero USB board does not requre and can work perfectly fine without power from the USB input (PC/Laptop/Streamer).
From other forums (I have also experimented a lot) I know people go to great lengths to separate data from power - and use batteries and audiophille power supplies in order to avoid the dirty power coming from the PC.
The Amanero however does not need such efforts. I did a very simple mod to my USB cable - I put black tape (Duck tape?) on the 5V power pin of the USB A connector going in my laptop.
This is the rightmost pin if you hold the pins showing up as you look at them.
You can easily google images of usb pinout to confirm.
The theory behind this as I understand it is that this can reduce interferance between USB data lines and USB power lines in the USB cable.
If anyone cares to try this simple mod, please share your findings. I believe this brings quality up a notch but am interested to know if others find the same.

By the way, yeaterday after a few weeks of listening the R2R 11 alone I listed to it side by side with Mojo (2 linked zones in Jriver playing the same songs, so very easy to compare).
I can say again that R2R 11 is in no way inferior and with regards to microdetails and timbre is even better to my ears. Plus it is so much better suited for desktop use shared between headphones and speakers!

Feb 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,136 of 2,569
By the way this is the same logic behind this Vbus 2 Isolator: https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator
However the tape I think can achieve the same result - quickly and for free ... You can go with the Vbus isolator only if you are afraid of tape residie on the pins. but this can also be removed easily ...

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,138 of 2,569
The way the r2r 11 plays classic and jazz shows that it is a high-class combo that can be put against pretty much anything at any price without any shame. I am still amazed with it after a month or so. I think it's fantastic.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,139 of 2,569
Could I get a recommendation between r2r11 and nfb11? I use Hifiman HE-400i, this program https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/ for movies, and fast complex music. I know nfb11 is a good choice for my needs, however, the he400i is very analytical, would the r2r11 add some life/realism without sacrificing detail and speed? Also, between the "out of your head" program and equalizing I find I need alot of power, will I hear the noise floor on r2r11 if the volume is high? Thanks!

Feb 27, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #1,140 of 2,569
About to place an order for the R2R11. Is there consensus that it pairs slightly better with the HD 6xx (650) than the NFB version? Most people are choosing the R2R from what I can tell, but I haven't seen much informed comparison/opinion on the pairing aspect. That said, any opinions informed or not so well informed are welcome. I'd especially like to know if soundstage is any different between R2R and NFB. Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back