Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Feb 27, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,141 of 2,569
Could I get a recommendation between r2r11 and nfb11? I use Hifiman HE-400i, this program https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/ for movies, and fast complex music. I know nfb11 is a good choice for my needs, however, the he400i is very analytical, would the r2r11 add some life/realism without sacrificing detail and speed? Also, between the "out of your head" program and equalizing I find I need alot of power, will I hear the noise floor on r2r11 if the volume is high? Thanks!

About to place an order for the R2R11. Is there consensus that it pairs slightly better with the HD 6xx (650) than the NFB version? Most people are choosing the R2R from what I can tell, but I haven't seen much informed comparison/opinion on the pairing aspect. That said, any opinions informed or not so well informed are welcome. I'd especially like to know if soundstage is any different between R2R and NFB. Thx

I can't speak for the latest version of the NFB-11.28, but I have an older NFB-11 (2014/2015) and a new R2R 11. Honestly so far Ive been hard pressed to tell much of a difference. If I listen really carefully (and repeatedly) with my HE-500s I noticed difference in things like cymbal hits and claps. It seemed sharper and more realistic, aside from that it was had to distinguish one from the other.

There may be a greater difference with the new NFB-11.28 and over time I may be able to develop better hearing for some differences. But honestly I wouldn't worry too much. Either one will deliver great sound and likely make you happy.

The one thing that bothers me is that Equalizer APO (system wide EQ app) dosen't seem to work. I'll have to look into it and see if there is a fix. It worked fine with my older NFB-11. I'm not sure if this will affect you "Fongaudio" application.

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #1,142 of 2,569
I can't speak for the latest version of the NFB-11.28, but I have an older NFB-11 (2014/2015) and a new R2R 11. Honestly so far Ive been hard pressed to tell much of a difference. If I listen really carefully (and repeatedly) with my HE-500s I noticed difference in things like cymbal hits and claps. It seemed sharper and more realistic, aside from that it was had to distinguish one from the other.

There may be a greater difference with the new NFB-11.28 and over time I may be able to develop better hearing for some differences. But honestly I wouldn't worry too much. Either one will deliver great sound and likely make you happy.

The one thing that bothers me is that Equalizer APO (system wide EQ app) dosen't seem to work. I'll have to look into it and see if there is a fix. It worked fine with my older NFB-11. I'm not sure if this will affect you "Fongaudio" application.

This is a really great post. Totally agree, the differences between these units are probably so slight it would be difficult to discern unless A/B ing and even then still really hard.

I tried a brief comparo between an old NFB 12 and the R2R and it was difficult to put into words the difference. There was a difference but if I were to be honest, probably couldn’t tell the two reliably with any large time lapse in between listening. Guess what...the R2R sounds great, plays music and is a bargain compared to what’s on the market. Probably can’t go wrong with either choice.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #1,143 of 2,569
Let me reiterate something...the R2R 11 sounds really, really great. Listening to Beck’s Morning Phase as I write this and the bass in the song, “Blackbird Chain” sounds positively AMAZING!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,144 of 2,569
I chickened out at the last second on the R2R-11 and went instead for the NFB-11.28. Decided I wanted the more neutral of the two, and I've had positive experiences with ESS Sabre DACs, so it's a safe bet.

I guess a more positive way to look at it is I didn't buy into the hype that's been created around the R2R-11, no that there's anything negative. :ksc75smile:

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,145 of 2,569
I chickened out at the last second on the R2R-11 and went instead for the NFB-11.28. Decided I wanted the more neutral of the two, and I've had positive experiences with ESS Sabre DACs, so it's a safe bet.

I guess a more positive way to look at it is I didn't buy into the hype that's been created around the R2R-11, no that there's anything negative. :ksc75smile:

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #1,146 of 2,569

I agree. I tried the Klipsch Heritage amp/dac which had a warm signature. My friend who loves tubes really liked it...I didn't. Felt like these was honey or wax paper over everything...I felt a smidge of clarity was lacking. I'm tempted to lean towards an NFB 11.28. What I do wonder is how it compares to a Magni3/Mimby....I kind of adore that combo.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,147 of 2,569
Well its time for some little review.

I've been listening to my brand new Audeze LCD2F (latest rev) with my new R2R11. My previous gear was a pair of German Maestro 8.35D amped with nothing more than a Meizu Pro5 so my experience is somewhat limited.

After two weeks listening to my LCD2s with the Meizu i can say there's really a huge improvement with the R2R. Soundstage is more wide. Bass impact is greatly improved and i must say i find the R2R a little bit darker than the Pro5 but this is nothing to regret about. Tonal balance seems very good to me and the extra (little) warmth given by the amp makes the cans sound perfect with no fatigue at all. I can feel every detail.
My two equipments are still in burn in so i cant judge properly at 100%. About the popping issue i find it not a problem. It just pops a bit in stop/start/rate change. Nothing to be worried. I do have a problem with DSD256 and DSD512. Fooobar drops an error being unable to play this formats unless i tick the DSD processor to downsample to DSD128. Help in proper configuration or best driver selection with R2R 11 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,148 of 2,569
Well its time for some little review.

I've been listening to my brand new Audeze LCD2F (latest rev) with my new R2R11. My previous gear was a pair of German Maestro 8.35D amped with nothing more than a Meizu Pro5 so my experience is somewhat limited.

After two weeks listening to my LCD2s with the Meizu i can say there's really a huge improvement with the R2R. Soundstage is more wide. Bass impact is greatly improved and i must say i find the R2R a little bit darker than the Pro5 but this is nothing to regret about. Tonal balance seems very good to me and the extra (little) warmth given by the amp makes the cans sound perfect with no fatigue at all. I can feel every detail.
My two equipments are still in burn in so i cant judge properly at 100%. About the popping issue i find it not a problem. It just pops a bit in stop/start/rate change. Nothing to be worried. I do have a problem with DSD256 and DSD512. Fooobar drops an error being unable to play this formats unless i tick the DSD processor to downsample to DSD128. Help in proper configuration or best driver selection with R2R 11 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi, nice review and feedback. Have you encountered any of the DSD playback issues with your R2R? For example, mine sometimes ‘shrieks’ as well as pops before it starts to play a DSD. There’s also some low level noise artefacts when playing back some DSDs (especially quieter sections). An easy one to hear it on is the DSD version of Amber Rubarth’s “Sessions from the 17th Ward” (DSD128). Play the song “Hold On” and turn the volume up and tell me what you hear...

Currently trying to resolve the issue with Audio-GD. Suspect it’s an Amanero issue and hopeful it will only need a firmware fix, otherwise there’s going to be a bunch of R2R-11s going back RMA...

Mar 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,149 of 2,569
Currently trying to resolve the issue with Audio-GD. Suspect it’s an Amanero issue and hopeful it will only need a firmware fix, otherwise there’s going to be a bunch of R2R-11s going back RMA...
Yeah, that's definitely not good plus the popping never went away regardless. Mine went back and exchanged it for NFB 11.28, but its not what I initially wanted so I finally sold it since I found it to be too boring. I wonder if the R2R 2 DAC has the same issues.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,150 of 2,569
My first reply in this place.
Wanted to try an R2R dac, and having an Arcam IrDac (no headphone jack) i thought this combo would fit the bill.

Paid the R2R 11 last sunday, shipped from DHL Hong Kong saturday 3/3 and arrived in Stockholm yesterday 5/3. Must say that's quiet fast.
Have to wait until thursday to pick it up though.
Really excited to hear it with my ~20 years old 7506s.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,151 of 2,569
My first reply in this place.
Wanted to try an R2R dac, and having an Arcam IrDac (no headphone jack) i thought this combo would fit the bill.

Paid the R2R 11 last sunday, shipped from DHL Hong Kong saturday 3/3 and arrived in Stockholm yesterday 5/3. Must say that's quiet fast.
Have to wait until thursday to pick it up though.
Really excited to hear it with my ~20 years old 7506s.
It's a good match. You should like it.

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #1,153 of 2,569
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,154 of 2,569
Nope ,found this review tho

EDIT; I'm holing off on them converters for now ,I had good results with TosLink optical connection in the past and will try same route once I get R2R 11
TosLink is/was limited by some hardware mnf. to 96 kHz in order to ensure smooth transfer but it's capable of 192 KHz I have and set 196KHz option in W7x64 via TosLink -not susceptible to radio interference (Bluetooth )

image.php

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #1,155 of 2,569
I got a pair of akg k553pro to do complement my r2r 11 for office use. So far so good. To whomever it was, thanks for recommending me these. They are perfect for the office. Comfy, excellent sound at that price point. Great isolation. An upgrade overall from my beloved mdr-7506. And they pair well with the r2r 11. Talk about a great setup under 500$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back