Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,096 of 2,569
Need a little help.

I've noticed that when I set Foobar to output to anything other than "DirectSound: Primary Sound Driver" Anything other than Foobar can't be heard or with dome other driver options freeks out and Fobar start to fast forward though sond an nothing can be heard. WIth my NFB-11 I could listen to Foobar and hear other audio (YouTube or Spotify for example).

I think it because Window in general is using DirectSound and Foobar only the driver specified. But my NFB-11 didn' behave this way and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on the benefits of AISO? Or if there is some install step that need to be done.

On a side not in the little listening of done over the short time I've owned the R2R 11, I'm hard pressed to notice any difference when compared to my older NFB-11 (2104) aside from a little more power (there might be a little more bass inpace, but not sure yet).

In one way this id good because I always found my NFB-11 to be stellar, on other other hand I expected to notice some difference moving the the ladder DAC. It too early to make any real conclusions and sometimes it take some listening the hear those subtle differences. I was just expecting it to be an obvious difference.
This happens to me when I am listening a track in Foobar (AISO) and then I open a website that loads a AV (like a news clip) automatically. To fix this, I stop the track in Foobar and play it again.

Below are my settings:
Foobar Output.JPG Foobar Output2.JPG

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,097 of 2,569
Wow, after some more extended listening on the R2R 11 with the Pangea power cord, I've noticed that everything sounded a little flat. Dynamics and the finer details definitely seemed to lack impact, as I mentioned in my last comment about the bass. Switched back to the stock just now, and it sounds a little more lively again. Voices aren't as smooth for TV shows, but now it doesn't feel like there is a tiny veil. I may have jumped the gun with the impressions. Thinking of returning the Pangea cable already, as I prefer the stock cable now.

That experiment didn't last long, but it was an interesting test run. Still like the power conditioner though, so that'll stay.

Interesting results. I ordered the AC 14SE for my NFB-28.38, so we'll see if I have the same experience.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #1,099 of 2,569
Anyone of you guys seen this ?

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/battle-of-s-pdif-vs-usb-which-is-better.1943/

I'm confused if I want to get a Schiit Eitr now for pairing with R2R 11 or NFB 11.28...

hmm..
The poster is comparing measurement of the DACs using unfiltered/bare connection from his PC via USB and SPDIF, so I don't know what is the connection between Eitr and the post? The main purpose of the Eitr is to clean the connection to the SPDIF coax input, as other USB decrappifier such as Jitterbug, iFi USB product line (iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iDefender, iGalvanic, iSilencer etc.), ISO REGEN, Wyrd etc. do the same to the USB connection at different price tag and performance level.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #1,100 of 2,569
The poster is comparing measurement of the DACs using unfiltered/bare connection from his PC via USB and SPDIF, so I don't know what is the connection between Eitr and the post? The main purpose of the Eitr is to clean the connection to the SPDIF coax input, as other USB decrappifier such as Jitterbug, iFi USB product line (iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iDefender, iGalvanic, iSilencer etc.), ISO REGEN, Wyrd etc. do the same to the USB connection at different price tag and performance level.
ahh ok ! Thank You ! make sense now !

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #1,101 of 2,569
Interesting results. I ordered the AC 14SE for my NFB-28.38, so we'll see if I have the same experience.

i saw the SE version as well, decided to go for the normal. also SE runs lower current.

from audio advisor
Pangea Audio's AC-14SE MkII Signature Edition power cable is specifically designed for source components, which do not require the same large amounts of current as receivers, amps and subs. The AC-14SE provides more than enough current while offering multiple shielding and other features that facilitate extremely clean and noise-free power.

so not sure should be ac-14 or se better ?

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #1,102 of 2,569
i saw the SE version as well, decided to go for the normal. also SE runs lower current.

from audio advisor
Pangea Audio's AC-14SE MkII Signature Edition power cable is specifically designed for source components, which do not require the same large amounts of current as receivers, amps and subs. The AC-14SE provides more than enough current while offering multiple shielding and other features that facilitate extremely clean and noise-free power.

so not sure should be ac-14 or se better ?

From what I can tell, the 14 or 14SE would be fine for headphone amps and DACs. In fact, Audio Advisor mentioned in a response to a question on Amazon, that either should be good up to 200 watts. Past that, they recommend the AC-9. But that seems more aimed at speaker amps and such. I think the main difference between the Premier and SE versions is that the latter has better materials and more shielding. If you didn't like the changes from the Premier version, I doubt the SE would sound better. It would probably just do more of the same.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,103 of 2,569
From what I can tell, the 14 or 14SE would be fine for headphone amps and DACs. In fact, Audio Advisor mentioned in a response to a question on Amazon, that either should be good up to 200 watts. Past that, they recommend the AC-9. But that seems more aimed at speaker amps and such. I think the main difference between the Premier and SE versions is that the latter has better materials and more shielding. If you didn't like the changes from the Premier version, I doubt the SE would sound better. It would probably just do more of the same.
would AC14 be good for the monitor itself like adam f7 ?

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,104 of 2,569
would AC14 be good for the monitor itself like adam f7 ?

Should be. Those seem to be under the 200W line, so it should be a good pairing. Plus, most of the time audio equipment is packed in with relatively cheap power cords. If they can handle the power requirements, then the Pangea will as well.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,105 of 2,569
Should be. Those seem to be under the 200W line, so it should be a good pairing. Plus, most of the time audio equipment is packed in with relatively cheap power cords. If they can handle the power requirements, then the Pangea will as well.
Just to share,

Got some information from audio advisor. They mentioned though ac14/14se should be an improvement over stock power cable for monitors however they says that ac9/ac9se is more suitable for powered monitors.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,106 of 2,569
Hello everybody!
Thanks to this thread, I joined to the AGD club with a fresh R2R-11 from Magna Hifi. The owners were very helpful, the order and logistic was fluent so I can suggest them to every EU citizen.
This little gem is spectacular in almost every circumstamces. I can rediscover my whole music collection again as it is a hughe leap over my former system. :)

Regarding the "popping" issue: yes it is there, but as somebody mentioned earlier here, its not a harsh pop but a small click. I haven't found any rule, or regularity in the pop. Sometimes I can hear them between songs from the same album and sample rate, sometimes it dissapears for a few hours completly. I don't feel this annoying, but I understand if this is a deal+breaker for someone, who is more sensitive. I have many DSD and DFF files, so I have to use the USB connection for a bitperfect result.

I would like to upgrade from my DT990 Pro in the near future. I'm very satisfied with my current cans, but this DAC/AMP can surely serve better headphones as well. To cut it short, I appreciate any feedback from Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro, or Amiron Home owners regarding this combo.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,107 of 2,569
Thats good to hear! My R2R arrives on thursday directly purchased in Beijing for the nice amount of 280e. Im waiting anxiously because ive just adquired four days ago a pair of Audeze LCD2 2017 Fazor and only listened them through my Meizu Pro 5 Dac/Amp (and i love the sound) so i expect a really huge quality bump driven with the R2R11R. Have a look @ Audeze's line. I think they are top notch headphones and the bass reproduction is quite epic.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #1,108 of 2,569
Anyone here owns Adam F5/F7 ?

I've seen pictures online and it looks like the power connector at the back of the speakers only has 2 pin ? can anyone confirm this ?

Can the pangea cable that has been linked here still be used to connect ?

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,109 of 2,569
Thats good to hear! My R2R arrives on thursday directly purchased in Beijing for the nice amount of 280e. Im waiting anxiously because ive just adquired four days ago a pair of Audeze LCD2 2017 Fazor and only listened them through my Meizu Pro 5 Dac/Amp (and i love the sound) so i expect a really huge quality bump driven with the R2R11R. Have a look @ Audeze's line. I think they are top notch headphones and the bass reproduction is quite epic.
Thanks for the reply isoa4k!
I can understand if you are satisfied with the Audeze LCD2, but these cans costs almost two times as much here as the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro, or the Amiron Home. Right now -as our house is under a massive renovation- I can't afford anything over Eur 600. On the other hand, I find leather earpads and heavy headphones not so comfortable for longer listening sessions plus reading the reviews on amazon.com, the quality control of these headphones seems to be subpar compared to the retail price.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,110 of 2,569
I understand. I think the quality issues have been reduced drastically with the latest revisions. Moreover you get three year driver warranty (renovable if they somewhat need to be exchanged). LCD2 Classic have revamped headband with improved comfort and no leather earpads. They can be purchased for around 680e. I just went with the LCD2 because i've always loved this model but i couldnt afford them, but a relative brought them to me brand new from USA for 820e. Its a good deal. Im sure the Beyers 1990pro are wonderful. I just needed to feel the Planar Magnetic bass heaven and yeah, planars deliver. I already haveha German Maestro 8.35 Dynamic so i wantedwto go a step further from classic dyn drivers. Have a look at this brand because they have some serious audio quality gear and can be bought witj Amazon Premium as it is a Germany based company. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back