Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #301 of 2,569
Anyone know how this compares to the Liquid Carbon (since I have never heard the Mojo)? Is it just as warm?

I've been eyeing the R2R 11 as a warmer (smoother) alternative to the Creative Sound Blaster X7's bright DAC/AMP. Will be using this with the Sony MDR-Z1R.
It definitely is that. The X7 is on the bright sound of neutral while the R2R11 is on the smoother / warmer side.
It is not as warm or gooey as the Carbon but to me that was a good thing (I am in the minority who did not enjoy the Carbon that much because of how gooey it was :p)
It will complement the X7 very well IMO..

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #303 of 2,569
It definitely is that. The X7 is on the bright sound of neutral while the R2R11 is on the smoother / warmer side.
It is not as warm or gooey as the Carbon but to me that was a good thing (I am in the minority who did not enjoy the Carbon that much because of how gooey it was :p)
I've never heard the Carbon personally, but I feel like our tastes would be similar. Very recently I had the Mimby feeding a Lyr 2. The Mimby has great body and a very noticeable thump if you will on the low end - it's really a great sounding DAC, and is the first DAC that demonstrated to me the whole "DACs do/don't affect SQ much" because it damn sure did. I had the Lyr 2 with a couple pairs of great-sounding NOS tubes as well as LISSTs, and while the sound is shaped pretty well tube-rolling, it never tilts away from it's warm nature. I simply found the Mimby/Lyr 2 combo way too warm and gooey. It was bizarre, because the resolution was there and it was not smeary in the slightest, it was just too overwhelming. From what I've read I feel like that'd be a similar reaction I'd share with the Carbon. Haha.

Anyhow, sorry for that tangent to the topic at hand. =)

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #304 of 2,569
I'm not familiar with the SB X7, but I will tell you that I don't find the R2R 11 warm whatsoever. It's musical, and has body versus the NFB-11 (mine was the 11.32, S/PDIF input from the nano iOne as a DDC). The consensus is the Carbon is about as warm and gooey as a SS amp can get, so I'd say between it and the R2R 11 they are two different beasts.

Interesting. I usually associate musical & body with warmth. I guess I can take away that the R2R 11 is not sterile / clinical sounding.

Thanks. I think it might actually suit the MDR-Z1R better than something like the Liquid Carbon, since it's already a warm headphone. Something on the warmer side of neutral sounds better now that I think about it. The SB X7 tends to bring unnecessary glare. I might actually order these today.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #305 of 2,569
Interesting. I usually associate musical & body with warmth. I guess I can take away that the R2R 11 is not sterile / clinical sounding.
I can see how many associate those things altogether. It could be perhaps because of what I just mentioned a post above - the comparative gear I used was a Mimby/Lyr 2, where both exhibit insane levels of warmth to my ear.

You're spot on though about the not sterile/clinical sounding. If there was one thing about the NFB-11 I'm not terribly fond if is it's exactly that. I'm guilty of calling it boring here in the past, but it also happens to be spectacular if you're looking for that. The R2R 11 I find more enjoyable, though again, not warm nor gooey. Others I'm sure feel differently.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #306 of 2,569
I can see how many associate those things altogether. It could be perhaps because of what I just mentioned a post above - the comparative gear I used was a Mimby/Lyr 2, where both exhibit insane levels of warmth to my ear.

You're spot on though about the not sterile/clinical sounding. If there was one thing about the NFB-11 I'm not terribly fond if is it's exactly that. I'm guilty of calling it boring here in the past, but it also happens to be spectacular if you're looking for that. The R2R 11 I find more enjoyable, though again, not warm nor gooey. Others I'm sure feel differently.
I personally loved my NFB-11 with headphones that were neutral/warm. The HD650 and HD600 sounded amazing out of it to me because it opened up the sound with changing the character of the headphones in a major way. YMMV

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #307 of 2,569
Received my R2R 11 this weekend so my use is limited. I have it running R2R 11>MJ2>LCD-2 and Fostex TH-X00 Ebony. I will leave this short and sweet in by saying.... The R2R 11 turned my Massdrop Fostex Ebony's into LCD-2's and the LCD-2's the same advancements but escalated the soundstage and definition just that much more; they're displaying great characteristics while maintaining that neutral sound flavor that Audeze is known for. I believe the dac to be far superior in the NFB and R2R then the amp. Not that the amp is bad, but you have to understand I amp A - B'ing with a MJ2 with Amperex tubes.

Given I have the choice to listen to either the Fostex's of LCD-2's and I hate to say that I most;y rode out with the Fostex's all weekend. After dinner I broke out the LCD-2's and boy, oh boy........

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #310 of 2,569
Hello guys. about to make purchase for r2r 11 soon, but wanted to ask few questions.
I have K712 pro and HD6xx on the way.

1. how long does it take to receive the item? and how much after shipping? Would assume around 380~390 I guess.

2. How is driver on this thing? I heard it got easier but yeah. I do have optic cable. Does optic cable really affect sound quality that much over usb?

3. What are the things I should look for in case of defect when I first receive it? Is it alright to leave it on all the time, or on and off when needed? How long does it take to warm up?

4. How is sound? I used to use Magni Modi 2 Uber stack, which I sold as soon as magni 3 came out and price started dropping horribly. (bought used like 3 weeks before the magni 3 release)

Been waiting for modi 3, which seems unlikely. So was considering Modi Multibit with magni 3, which puts at price range of R2R 11.

So this is dac and amp right?

Thank you for your time.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #311 of 2,569
I personally loved my NFB-11 with headphones that were neutral/warm. The HD650 and HD600 sounded amazing out of it to me because it opened up the sound with changing the character of the headphones in a major way. YMMV
Thanks, just sent an email to these guys (for the 11.28)...oh god..I'm in deep dudu when the wifey finds out :D Upgrade TCXO for ES9028 <---- is this worth the $20??

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #312 of 2,569
Another question about the pop-sound.
Will I notice it when using stuff like Spotify/Youtube/Netflix? Or to put it differently, can I put the driver to output the same sampling rate no matter what?

Is this only an issue for people who want to deliberately use different samping rates or will it be noticeable in every-day-use?

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #314 of 2,569
Just got my response from them and WOW.... (w the ES9028 upgrade) the NFB11.28 amp (with shipping) will only cost $366! That's an insane price.

Hey man. I ordered R2R 11, which is pretty much different sound interpretation of nfb 11, with tcxo upgrade already on it.

Paid 378 for it including shipping. So if you like more analytical, nfb11. More musical r2r11. For about 15 dollar difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back