Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Nov 12, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #286 of 2,569
Original.My gear is listed in my signature.

They kind of have a planar-like speed to them,ultra fast.The R2R-11 gives them the widest staging Ive ever heard and fleshes out the mid bass quite nicely without bloating it.Needless to say my AD2000s have been getting quite a bit of head time lately.

Argh I love what you say there, hope it would do a similar thing to k712s. Might have to end up biting the bullet for the stax 300 though to get Wagner in full tilt...

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #288 of 2,569
The R2R-11 gives them the widest staging Ive ever heard

Argh I love what you say there, hope it would do a similar thing to k712s. Might have to end up biting the bullet for the stax 300 though to get Wagner in full tilt...

Ahh,I see what I did there...My wording was misleading.I meant to say the staging was the widest Ive ever heard for the ATH AD2000,not for any headphone....that award would go to HD800 and Beyer T1,but as I said,this combo is an excellent one.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #289 of 2,569
Ahh,I see what I did there...My wording was misleading.I meant to say the staging was the widest Ive ever heard for the ATH AD2000,not for any headphone....that award would go to HD800 and Beyer T1,but as I said,this combo is an excellent one.
By the analysis I read the AD2000X has a few improvements to justify more than double the price of the AD1000X, in one of the analyzes the guy said that the 2000X is 99% of the 1000X, so it is not worth to pay 320 dollars more, this is a Sorry because that's what I was planning to buy after the K712.

Nov 13, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #290 of 2,569
And how would you qualify it in terms of quality though? Because for example as much as I like HD800's soundstage I think it's like a dark room where streams of light come at you from different points, which is certainly impressive but perharps not the most natural. On the contrary, the ath x5000 may not have such a wide spacious soundstage but, though still pretty wide, it is definetly more airy giving a vibrant live music feel that the hd800 lack imo. Haven't heard the T1s though. So basically I'd like to ask you one more question and stop monopolizing this thread haha. Does the staging augment to such a degree where you can get the full body of such a thing as tristan's prelude with the correspondent imaging to fully appreciate it, or get the off stage sounds as in berlioz's symphonie fantastique bells; and still retaining that nice airy sound? Basically I'd love to get the x5000 through the much cheaper AD2000.
I'm also interested in having both the K712 and R2R 11, you're sure to get them before me, so please tell us how they both work together.
Oh god I'm still debating day and night on what to get because I can't wait any longer but it still will take a month or two... I'll write something anyway if I end up getting the k712 combo (570€) instead of ATH or stax (+800/900€) which would be the most intelligent option financial wise at the moment.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #291 of 2,569
And how would you qualify it in terms of quality though? Because for example as much as I like HD800's soundstage I think it's like a dark room where streams of light come at you from different points, which is certainly impressive but perharps not the most natural. On the contrary, the ath x5000 may not have such a wide spacious soundstage but, though still pretty wide, it is definetly more airy giving a vibrant live music feel that the hd800 lack imo. Haven't heard the T1s though. So basically I'd like to ask you one more question and stop monopolizing this thread haha. Does the staging augment to such a degree where you can get the full body of such a thing as tristan's prelude with the correspondent imaging to fully appreciate it, or get the off stage sounds as in berlioz's symphonie fantastique bells; and still retaining that nice airy sound? Basically I'd love to get the x5000 through the much cheaper AD2000.

Oh god I'm still debating day and night on what to get because I can't wait any longer but it still will take a month or two... I'll write something anyway if I end up getting the k712 combo (570€) instead of ATH or stax (+800/900€) which would be the most intelligent option financial wise at the moment.
Which ATH, maybe 2000X ?

Nov 13, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #292 of 2,569
Semi portable, how about this one?
m900_5.jpg

Grace Design M900.
This dis not get such threat reviews.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #293 of 2,569

I do find the staging of the AD2000 thru the R2R-11 nice and wide,yet still entirely coherent....something the T1 and HD800 do not do 100% of the time IMHO.

Couple things:
*I know nothing about classical,so I cant say one way or the other if the AD2000 is good for that genre.

*Because of the rarity and polarizing response of the original AD2000 I do not recommend it here on Head-Fi,nor to family/friends.There are safer and easier to find options.

*I cannot add anything further other than what Asr wrote several years ago in his incredibly detailed and exhaustive review.I highly suggest reading his review(linked earlier in this thread) as well as the follow up comments by other members so that you might get a sense as to whether or not the AD2000 is a headphone you'd enjoy.I agree with most of what he wrote and find the R2R-11 to be the best amp/DAC for it that Ive tried to date.

*Asr told me that the AD2000x is not a suitable option to the original.YMMV.

We need to get back onto the topic of this thread.If you have any other questions about it feel free to PM me:beerchug:

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #295 of 2,569
And then I bought the HD 6XX and still in doubt between NFB 11.28 and R2R 11, being that I am new to the world of audiophilia and these will be my first products at hi-fi level, and this will be my final game For a long time, which one do you think is the best option for me ?

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #296 of 2,569
And then I bought the HD 6XX and still in doubt between NFB 11.28 and R2R 11, being that I am new to the world of audiophilia and these will be my first products at hi-fi level, and this will be my final game For a long time, which one do you think is the best option for me ?

One thing I can say and have noticed is that your ears will adjust to some degree. I have been told and have read here on the forums that you cannot go wrong with either one. If you do not want to take the risk and remove the guessing game from the equation then go ahead and order the Schiit Yggy :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #297 of 2,569
Anyone know how this compares to the Liquid Carbon (since I have never heard the Mojo)? Is it just as warm?

I've been eyeing the R2R 11 as a warmer (smoother) alternative to the Creative Sound Blaster X7's bright DAC/AMP. Will be using this with the Sony MDR-Z1R.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #298 of 2,569
Well I can tell you guys that Soekris isn't an option to purchase from, when I ordered my Soekris DAC 33 days ago I didn't even receive an email.
I have reached out to them twice without a response and the website hasn't been updated at all to reflect different shipping dates despite me ordering the DAC and it supposedly shipping "late october".

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #299 of 2,569
Can someone compare the R2R with Meier Corda jazz ff(plus some 100$ DAC, say modi) or Fostex HPA4?
If you can wait until this time next week, I can. Earlier in this thread I gave my opinion on the R2R 11 and grew very familiar with it, and traded for the Corda Jazz-ff yesterday. I'll test it with the R2R's DAC output for apples to apples on the DAC side, as well as from an iFi nano iOne.

Nov 20, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #300 of 2,569
Anyone know how this compares to the Liquid Carbon (since I have never heard the Mojo)? Is it just as warm?

I've been eyeing the R2R 11 as a warmer (smoother) alternative to the Creative Sound Blaster X7's bright DAC/AMP. Will be using this with the Sony MDR-Z1R.
I'm not familiar with the SB X7, but I will tell you that I don't find the R2R 11 warm whatsoever. It's musical, and has body versus the NFB-11 (mine was the 11.32, S/PDIF input from the nano iOne as a DDC). The consensus is the Carbon is about as warm and gooey as a SS amp can get, so I'd say between it and the R2R 11 they are two different beasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back