Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by crowally, Aug 17, 2017.

1. kvik
    There are a few (semi)portable R2R dac/amp alternatives to Audio-gd R2R 11, but all of them more expensive:

Soekris DAC1421 ($850)
    Tento PortaDAC ($700)
    Myst DAC1866OCU ($1000)
    AKS DAC1851HPA ($650)
    Metrum Amethyst ($1150)

Edit: Forgot Soekris DAC1101 ($425), which is in the same price range as R2R 11

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    monsterzero likes this.
  2. Autostart
    Screenshot_20171107-165232.jpg I've slept on it for a few days and finally made up my mind. One thing I don't get is why people make ordering audio equipment from Audio - GD a difficult process. Maybe I missed something, but I'm pretty sure they just want your money.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Autostart
    Does anyone use mIRC TO download music still?

4. JimJames
    But what is it with this pop? It only happens once you change the bit rate but then stops or goes all through that new bit rate you've selected ruining what you're hearing?

5. CJG888
    No, just one pop on syncing with the new sample rate.

6. JimJames
    Then if you know the sample rate of what you're playing before hand you could just change it beforehand and go on right? Why would you want to change it amid a song? I'm a newbie so need a little guidance...

7. bunkbail
    Some people have collection of song with varying sample rates and bit depth and they like to do playbacks of these files at their native sample rate and bit depth (also known as bit-perfect playback) which can offer better sound quality (some of them swear by it). Personally I think its a nuisance and my setup is not revealing enough to hear a difference.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    JimJames likes this.
  8. FredA
    Scenario:

You have a playlist with 44/16 and 96/24 files. Upon starting a new song, the sample rate automatically changes both in the player and the dac to keep in synch with the track format. Then, your hear a pop.

JimJames likes this.
  9. FredA
    Like Bunkbail implied, you can configured most players to alway output the same format (sample rate and bit depth) to the dac. Then you will never hear a pop.

10. Jerda
    So, is the r2r working with latest android and iOS? :)

11. Autostart
    I will let you know when mine arrives.

12. Jerda
    Thx mate.
    To everyone that can do it: try it with latest android and iOS cause i wanna really buy it instead of buying the schiit stack multibit but i will plug it to tidal from smartphone, so I really need to know it.
    EDIT: @Kingwa

13. bunkbail
    The R2R-11 works out of the box with my Galaxy S3, S6, S7 and Nexus 7. Tested on Nougat and Oreo. On older versions like Kit Kat, I need to use 3rd party drivers like USB Audio Player Pro or Onkyo HF Player to make it work. As for iOS, I have an iPhone 5S but I don't own an Apple CCK cables to test any DAC/amps, sorry:triportsad:.

Jerda likes this.
  14. Jerda
    THANKS!
    EDIT: Kingwa has a new amanero since the last two months, so it works flawlessly now :wink:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  15. I g o r
    It works fine with iOS and CCK. The previous version already worked (USB32).

Jerda likes this.