Audio-gd NFB-10
Dec 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2,146 of 2,860

Quote:
I have spent a lot of time over the last few days reading about 2/3 of the Audio-GD Digital Interface thread and was wondering if anyone who had and nfb-10SE and a digital interface could comment on the quality of the usb implementation on the nfb-10SE by itself and express to what degree adding the DI improves the SQ using the usb interface?

I'll be back to some of my equipment in a few days. I can try this combo out. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #2,147 of 2,860
Hey all - I just thought I'd say thanks to everyone for their input on this thread. It was one of the main things that finally tipped me over the edge to get the NFB-10SE.

Mine arrived about 5 days before Xmas and I wrapped it up and put it under the tree. That was a long 5 days...but now it has been running nearly non-stop getting it "settled" into the rest of my system. To be honest, I was looking for this as a preamp/DAC as I have not used headphones except when traveling. I wanted this in order to take care of the D/A duties out of my Squeezebox Touch, balanced XLR into Portal monoblocks, finally to Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII.

(This replaced a SB Duet and making use if the internal DAC then through a passive attenuator, and the difference is unbelievable.)

But I must say that after reading up more and more on this site, I am starting to seriously research a set of cans to go with it. From what I've read and my budget, I've been coming back to the HD-598. I listen to mainly rock, classic rock, Jazz, and electric blues. I am looking forward to my next trip to Japan, as I have found a couple of specialty headphone shops in Akihabara, so perhaps I can give a listen to a few.

Cheers all!

Kook

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #2,148 of 2,860

Quote:
Hey all - I just thought I'd say thanks to everyone for their input on this thread. It was one of the main things that finally tipped me over the edge to get the NFB-10SE.

Mine arrived about 5 days before Xmas and I wrapped it up and put it under the tree. That was a long 5 days...but now it has been running nearly non-stop getting it "settled" into the rest of my system. To be honest, I was looking for this as a preamp/DAC as I have not used headphones except when traveling. I wanted this in order to take care of the D/A duties out of my Squeezebox Touch, balanced XLR into Portal monoblocks, finally to Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII.

(This replaced a SB Duet and making use if the internal DAC then through a passive attenuator, and the difference is unbelievable.)

But I must say that after reading up more and more on this site, I am starting to seriously research a set of cans to go with it. From what I've read and my budget, I've been coming back to the HD-598. I listen to mainly rock, classic rock, Jazz, and electric blues. I am looking forward to my next trip to Japan, as I have found a couple of specialty headphone shops in Akihabara, so perhaps I can give a listen to a few.

Cheers all!

Kook

When I have some more time I'll do a comparison. I think the HD650 are real serious winners with the nfb10. Really like the sound synergy. Also the denon d7000 sound really great with them.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2,149 of 2,860

Quote:
I didn't find, on casual experimentation, that my Audiophilleo 1 made any significant difference, so I'm not sure the DI would either. The only possible benefit I can see from the DI would be if the up-sampling could produce better results than the built-in oversampling.

Quote:
I'll be back to some of my equipment in a few days. I can try this combo out. 

Thanks for the feedback, based on some of the posts in this thread I was looking into the DI.  One thing that does not seem to be discussed much as it relates to USB jitter is the relative quality of the source's USB implementation.  It seems that the reviews of the DI range from minimal improvement (if any) to enourmous improvements and it surprises me that there is no discussion of source USB implementation (which seems to be mostly pc/mac/linux devices).

That being said, what do you guys use as a source when testing DI / Audiophellio?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,150 of 2,860
Wow!  So the NFB10 is similar or regarded equal to the v200?  What about the dac from the da11?

Quote:
Differences are quite slim single ended and balanced with the HD 800 but certainly noticable and I have yet find an occasion where I preferr the SE output for it. Will see how LCD-2 fairs when I acquire cables for it. These headphones aren´t that difficult to drive though so the extra wattage will probably not mean much if anything. . Haven´t felt the LCD-s being starved on the 1W C-2.1 compared to my 95W receiver which should get a bit more then 10W at least. For the HD 800 I do feel the already tight bass is even tighter and seemingly less distortion or less noise which certainly seem to help imagine and soundstage a bit.

I do enjoy the amplifier a lot SE. DX 1000, ED 8, HD 800, LCD-2 I find no real issue with each I couldn´t live with. Sound as good as I ever heard them more or less. It´s not always the best but it always perform and it would be tempting just do a big sellout only keeping this and my headphones to make things simpler. I really find this to be about as neutral as I have heard and it certainly doesn´t favouritize any of these all quite different sounding headphones. I still haven´t grasped which headphone it has best synergy with thus. They all tend to stay on the head when they are put in place. I do agree with Currawong that they is if anything on the smooth side. This a bit less then the C-2.1 perhaps or it´s just that there is lower distortion in this one. Hard to tell since they certainly share the same house sound.  SPL Auditor, Violectric V200, GHP, Audio GD C-2.1 among those I enjoyed the most earlier. I have no trouble putting this in the same group SE which mean it´s certainly quite a bargain in my book seeing that the DAC isn´t embarrassed by the Ref9 at all :) 

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #2,151 of 2,860

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, based on some of the posts in this thread I was looking into the DI.  One thing that does not seem to be discussed much as it relates to USB jitter is the relative quality of the source's USB implementation.  It seems that the reviews of the DI range from minimal improvement (if any) to enourmous improvements and it surprises me that there is no discussion of source USB implementation (which seems to be mostly pc/mac/linux devices).

That being said, what do you guys use as a source when testing DI / Audiophellio?

This is a very good point.  Makes you wonder how much influence the USB port is having in the equation- be it from a laptop, desktop PC or Mac. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #2,152 of 2,860
USB controller, bus, drivers, IRQ assignment, power supply, RFI, everything you can poke a stick at could affect USB, not to mention playback software, OS, other computer hardware choices.

I will do a comparison (Di vs inbuilt) this weekend and let you know what i hear.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2,153 of 2,860

Quote:
USB controller, bus, drivers, IRQ assignment, power supply, RFI, everything you can poke a stick at could affect USB, not to mention playback software, OS, other computer hardware choices.

I will do a comparison (Di vs inbuilt) this weekend and let you know what i hear.

Thanks drez, much appreciated!

On another note, I just got back in town last night and will head to work to pick my nfb-10se sometime today.  Assuming everything is in working order, I will start burning in today and post some impressions this weekend.

Timeliness seems to have been a problem for some in this thread, so I will share my experience through the ordering process: requested a quote 12/12, receieved a quote form back within an hour, made payment 12/12, received email confirming payment 12/13, received am email 12/16 letting me know my package had been sent 12/15, my office notified me my package was delivered 12/21.

So basically from payment to delivery was approximately 7 business days to Texas.  Overall I was very satisfied with communication and was pretty surprised by how fast the whole process went.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #2,154 of 2,860

Quote:

Hate to say this but doesn't this make you think?   Of the usb audiophile high quality firmware, Rankin's UAC 1.0 asynch code has the longest history,  its only redbook but it doesn't seem as touchy as the newer stuff an it works with M$'s native drivers (zero software installation) in true asynch mode with the computer slaved. 

I think and I hope that a better means to get audio off the computer is on the horizon,  until then I would stick with the SE10's USB input (this isn't an ultra low distortion unit anyway),   I think most are better off waiting .  Something that isn't so touchy as to the port configuration, rfi, and other things a robost solution should be transperant to.  Even windows 8 isn't including a UAC Audio class 2 driver,  and Intel hasn't exactly welcomed USB3.0 with open arms,  that tells me something better is near and spending a lot of money on USB right now is a lot like buying a 23" CRT monitor was in 2004.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2,156 of 2,860
My initial impressions:

- Packaged very well
- Solidly built
- USB doesn't seat very well, but this does not appear to impact the connection (no dropouts yet, even when i wiggle the USB cable)
- I am listening to FLACs of various quality from my desktop connected via USB on my HD600s single ended, high gain, filter 9.  Compared to my previous setup (realtek 889 onboard or audigy 2 through a total airhead primarily) this is an astronomical leap in sound quality right out of the box.

-Without anything playing the nfb-10se is dead quiet in comparison.

-Separation is greatly enhanced; previously certain songs / sections of songs sounded muddled and unclear.  I am hearing different components of many songs much more clearly distinguished from one another.

-Fine level details are much more apparent and audible.

-Soundstage is much fuller.  Previously the soundstage I heard projected was slight variations of left, right, or center.  Now sound is being realized across a much broader, even stage.

-Bass / midbass in particular are much tighter, controlled, and powerful.  Bass notes really have their own tone now, whereas before before often times I could hear that a bass note was being played but the tone was not clearly apparent.  Much more musical.

This is my first quality DAC / HP amp and I am very happy with the results initially.  I am excited that it should only get better with proper burn-in.  More to come with balanced cables, HD595, and SE530's.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #2,157 of 2,860
Guys can anyone answer this - going with the notion that more power into headphones is better so u can drive them properly; i thought about turning down the equalizer by 10 Decibels and turning the volume up on the amp. Before on the nfb-10SE i used 15 volume, now im using 35 volume on high gain. Does anyone know if this brings better sound quality as im feeding more power into the headphone? or am i not feeding more power?

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2,158 of 2,860
If it's just as loud as before, then by definition, you are feeding the headphones the same amount of power. All you have done is change where in the signal chain the total gain (volume) is getting defined.

Depending on the components this can provide small benefits in system noise, but can't change power delivered to the phones, as you have ended up with exactly the same power level.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2,159 of 2,860

Quote:
If it's just as loud as before, then by definition, you are feeding the headphones the same amount of power. All you have done is change where in the signal chain the total gain (volume) is getting defined.

Depending on the components this can provide small benefits in system noise, but can't change power delivered to the phones, as you have ended up with exactly the same power level.

so do you think upping the volume in the amp is better or in the eq?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back