Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Aug 20, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #316 of 2,556
So you're saying that the fact that it overheated and started stuttering has nothing to do with the volume/output level?  If so, that's actually much more worrying.

Not really. Kingwa told me that it should be run 24x5 and not all day or 24x7
It needs cooling. So I choose to use a fan. Always have til last night.
It likely is fine if your house is airconditioned.
My house got over 80ish last night, maybe 85 even.
So within 1min of using that little fan, it worked perfectly again.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #317 of 2,556
I think it's quite special case for bimmer100 as he runs a very inefficient set of headphone, thus drawing more power and generating more heat than most other M11 users will do with other headphones.

Maybe the heat generated got so much that it caused the DSP or some other chip go into "thermal throttle" mode to prevent itself from frying up.

@bimmer100

Maybe you should consider getting some kind of isolation feet so as to elevate the M11 chassis higher up from the bamboo block to increase bottom chassis air flow.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #318 of 2,556
  I think it's quite special case for bimmer100 as he runs a very inefficient set of headphone, thus drawing more power and generating more heat than most other M11 users will do with other headphones.

Maybe the heat generated got so much that it caused the DSP or some other chip go into "thermal throttle" mode to prevent itself from frying up.

@bimmer100

Maybe you should consider getting some kind of isolation feet so as to elevate the M11 chassis higher up from the bamboo block to increase bottom chassis air flow.

I have the HE-560 too and it's not that bad.  And the HE-560 is pretty ubiquitous at this point, I don't know that I'd call it a special case...

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #319 of 2,556

@bimmer100

I have the HE-560 too and it's not that bad.  And the HE-560 is pretty ubiquitous at this point, I don't know that I'd call it a special case...

You also have to factor that Bimmer has modded his M11 with the 3m EMI asborber. Not sure if how much it would have affected the heat dissipation of the DSP chip in hot ambient temps.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #320 of 2,556

Look at my above post.............
About volume curves.
You don't have a 2015 nfb-28

I have never had heat issues with the nfb28

The m11 is a much larger amp and runs full on at all times like solude says. That's pure class a for yah!

But I believe my home being so darn hot and it ran for 2 days without a fan, it got hot with the days we have been having here. 90 ish.

So whatever. Not going to go through this whole thing again with you. Read the graphs and you will see, or just borrow someone's nfb28 to see how loud ya need to crank it to get to your comfortable levels with your 2014 model.
We went over this. It was a combination of the extremely different curve and me using foobar with replay gain on by accident. It affected my gain significantly. Do you not recall this conversation? I thought we cleared all that up. And if you look at the m11 volume curve you will find that it's even more aggressive in the volume curve Being nearly the same all the way to 45-50 and then bouncing a little at 60. I listen about 65 most the time and 80 sometimes with certain classical. So whatever , don't care at this point. You can try my m11 if we ever meet at some event. I would be happy to show you my ears are in order and I'm not blowing them up. I do listen about 4-6 Db louder than some people. At least that is the case with my fiancé. She prefers less volume. I listen at most one or two tracks at levels around 95-98db and mostly around 80-85db for most listening. The loudest I've ever listened to one track was just over 100db at 102db. That was uncomfortable yet awesome at the same time for that particular track.

What's my problem, I should listen to stuff with less volume? :)

Jriver still is quieter than all other apps. Replay gain isn't enabled and no filters.
It's odd.. I have YouTube videos at 20% and they are loud. I have to crank the amp down to 50 for YouTube videos to be 100%

I'm rambling and done talking about this. :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #321 of 2,556
I haven't gone past volume 45 and mine is with default gain. I usually listen around 20-30. Going up to 45 with music that's not compressed to hell. Like Pink Floyd The Wall.

According to the volume chart 50 is just 2.5% output. uh.

Master 11 surely gets hot. Considerably hotter than Master 7.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #322 of 2,556
I haven't gone past volume 45 and mine is with default gain. I usually listen around 20-30. Going up to 45 with music that's not compressed to hell. Like Pink Floyd The Wall.

What are the specs of your headphones ?
That's very relevant

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #323 of 2,556
Can you disable the amp on m11? and use DAC only? to reduce power consumption and heat problem.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #324 of 2,556

My headphones are 90db per 1mw
Yours are 101db per 1mw

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #326 of 2,556
I listen to classical music at higher levels.
Normally I'm around 65 on the volume with the m11 and close to 80-90% on jriver.
With some of my classical recordings, or pipe organ music I prefer it fairly loud but requires a rediculous amount of gain to get it up there to typical recordings like with Pop and electronic music. Those are LOUD as is...

So my amp works harder I suppose.
I actually almost returned my he560's thinking something was wrong with them. They claimed 40 ohm or something like that and later changed to 50ohm. Anyhow, not that it makes much diff. They actually seem to sound more like he6's to be honest and requires lot more gain.
My fiances oppo pm3's require an attenuator to listen at the same volume as my he560's they are -12db and -12db for each attenuation adapter I have. So that's pretty significant. Her headphones are down around 30-34 on the volume scale. And the volume is not linear, it's exponential so it's not until about 60 that average headphones get to be loud.
Super efficient Iems and headphones like pm3 are about 25-35 range.
My fidue a83's also are great with the m11 and around same levels as pm3.

But with some of my classical recordings I need to add anywhere from 12-20 more on the volume to achieve the desired volume.

I advise you to set the Jriver to max (100 %). 

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #327 of 2,556
LCD2F. Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.18 mW

If that is true, your headphones are insanely efficient!!!
My he560's sound like absolute doggy crap on my iPhone. Terrible in fact!

I bet your lcd2fazors sound good on an iPhone even.
That's great!
But my headphones are energy suckers.
My fiances oppo pm3's are super efficient and I love those!
I also have a pair of sennheiser game zero and they are efficient too. Low low levels for those

Anyhow, your headphones get about 11db louder than mine when at mw. Significant? I think so. I'm at 60 you are at 45, so probably. I didn't notice the curve changing with the +6db mod til I got to 75 it was super loud! Before it had to be 85 to be super loud!
That's with classical.... Pop music would pop my eardrums.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #328 of 2,556
If that is true, your headphones are insanely efficient!!!
My he560's sound like absolute doggy crap on my iPhone. Terrible in fact!

I bet your lcd2fazors sound good on an iPhone even.
That's great!
But my headphones are energy suckers.
My fiances oppo pm3's are super efficient and I love those!
I also have a pair of sennheiser game zero and they are efficient too. Low low levels for those

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #329 of 2,556

Look at my above post.............
About volume curves.
You don't have a 2015 nfb-28

I have never had heat issues with the nfb28

The m11 is a much larger amp and runs full on at all times like solude says. That's pure class a for yah!

But I believe my home being so darn hot and it ran for 2 days without a fan, it got hot with the days we have been having here. 90 ish.

So whatever. Not going to go through this whole thing again with you. Read the graphs and you will see, or just borrow someone's nfb28 to see how loud ya need to crank it to get to your comfortable levels with your 2014 model.
We went over this. It was a combination of the extremely different curve and me using foobar with replay gain on by accident. It affected my gain significantly. Do you not recall this conversation? I thought we cleared all that up. And if you look at the m11 volume curve you will find that it's even more aggressive in the volume curve Being nearly the same all the way to 45-50 and then bouncing a little at 60. I listen about 65 most the time and 80 sometimes with certain classical. So whatever , don't care at this point. You can try my m11 if we ever meet at some event. I would be happy to show you my ears are in order and I'm not blowing them up. I do listen about 4-6 Db louder than some people. At least that is the case with my fiancé. She prefers less volume. I listen at most one or two tracks at levels around 95-98db and mostly around 80-85db for most listening. The loudest I've ever listened to one track was just over 100db at 102db. That was uncomfortable yet awesome at the same time for that particular track.

What's my problem, I should listen to stuff with less volume?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jriver still is quieter than all other apps. Replay gain isn't enabled and no filters.
It's odd.. I have YouTube videos at 20% and they are loud. I have to crank the amp down to 50 for YouTube videos to be 100%

I'm rambling and done talking about this.
smily_headphones1.gif

The information I'm trying to glean here is whether I can expect to have to run the M-11 at full volume or not.  The information I gleaned instead is that it always draws maximum power, which is expensive if you want to leave it on to keep the DAC warm, and it can potentially overheat the system.  I find that extremely worrying.  It makes me question whether the M11 is right for me.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to take everything I say as a personal attack.  It's getting old.

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #330 of 2,556
oh wait. That can't be right. Must be error in the innerfidelity graphs. Even LCD-X is higher. "Power Needed for 90d BSPL 0.34 mW"

HE-560 Power Needed for 90d BSPL 2.53 mW

Not sure what is going on.

That makes a lot of sense if that's true.

Weird though.
I know my he560's are insanely inefficient.
More so than the specs they advertise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back