Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
post-11857248
Post #346 of 2,542

defbear

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was thinking of the wa22 balanced but nope. I own or have owned all the buzzword tube guitar amps. And you can tube roll until you need a loan to pay for them all. And ya gotta have a 300b and a.....and they are right. Solid state amps are generally reviled in the guitar world and only bought because they are cheep with a zillion features. Quilter amps are the first solid state amp that sounds and feels like a tube amp. I think the audiophile world solid state designs have surpassed anything ive seen before. I get that for edm and 800s you need tubes. But perhaps not. You have to have high quality source material and a great dac to interpret it. The next thing is superb phones. Every single amp i read about is Neutral. Chant with me neu-tral neu-tral, so the amp mattèrs less, hmmm. I believe in synergy between all the components is what matters most.

Nope my 800's are stock.

post-11858340
Post #347 of 2,542

mojolo

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Got mine earlier this week but didn't have a chance to try it out until last night.

I'll avoid saying too much until I've had a chance to settle into the M11 sound and compare a bit to my DA8. First impressions though are that this is the most musical system I've had to date. Bimmer referred to the sound being euphonic and I think that's an appropriate description. I feel drawn into the music more than I've ever been.

I also don't think I've had a system I'd describe as "analog" before but I think analog sounding is another appropriate description. The upper mids and highs are there but it never gets shrill or shouty. The music is nicely detailed but relaxing and enjoyable at the same time. I've had many set ups where I felt the need to turn the volume down because of the way the sound would pierce my ears - not with the M11.

So far, I'd say this is certainly an upgrade. It's not one of those upgrades where I'd use such overused terms as blacker background, tighter bass, clearer highs, yada yada yada. This is actually a different sound, more musical and enjoyable. I think refined too. On first impressions, I don't think I'd go as far as to say the M11 is perfect though... but I'll hold off on any critiques until I've had more time to flesh out the sound.

Mine doesn't seem to be getting too hot but I've also have had my windows open lately so I think with a bit of proper ventilation, the M11 will be fine heat-wise. Bimmer - definitely try removing the 3m EMI asborber and let us know if that helps, we wish you luck.

post-11858399
Post #348 of 2,542

mojolo

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello thecrow. So I have had a couple of 5-6 hour listening sessions and I have only plugged in my Sennheiser HD800 headphones. In balanced mode using the 4 prong xlr. I have not even tried anything else yet. I guess that says it right there. I could not do that with my Bifrost Uber Lyr2 stack (with gold lion 6922's). I have found my Schitt Stack to have the 800 too bright curse. Can you believe I like my Emotiva Stealth Dac-1 into the Lyr2 better than the bifrost uber. I have a Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp. The 800'S sound so good through it. No reason to look elsewhere. Again I like the Emotiva Dac 1 better than the built in dac. I could have stopped there. But I got an if-dsd. I love the 800's with it. I could have stopped there. I wanted an end game type setup and a R2R dac at that. So like I said, it seems I can listen to the Master 11 with my 800's all day long. So how does it sound? Around here it sometimes depends upon your Belief System. Ha! What does he listen to? Ive been a Blues, British Blues, early Blues Rock fan just about forever. And a gigantic The Who fan. There is also Loreena McKennitt and Enya and you have got to hear Julee Cruise. Her two CD's are very well recorded and show off a system nicely. She is the singer from Twin Peaks. And about 2009 I got hooked on Lady Gaga. Dont laugh. I grew up in LA during The Era and saw everybody. Hendrix, Zep, Yardbirds with Page. Punk Floyd 15 times including with Syd Barrett. Ive seen Gaga 6 times and she is Hands Down the best live performer I have ever seen. So I dig her and Robyn and there is even a Kesha playlist. Any jazz with guitar or Classical guitar. The big leftout is Orchestral Classical. So like evryone else here I run the gamut but just in more detail tonight. Trust me, at times I want my headphones to get slammin. Even 800's. So when I first plugged in I was a bit underwhelmed in the Bass. Sort of like 800's usually are. But it had wonderful detail, a big soundstage in every direction. It was smooth. I could get it up to 60 on the display and the sound was huge. The next evening I came home and turned on Master 11. I came back an hour later and listened again to the same tracks as before. Master 11 perhaps sounded a bit fuller louder? Meh. I was using a Macbook pro and usb. I put on Gaga's Artpop album in a loop and put the level to loud listening at 58. I went and had dinner and came back. Master 11 is on a table in a house about 78F. The box does get Hot. So does my Lyr2. I came back to a different Master 11. The bass got bigger and well defined. The mids were fuller and rich. The treble was not dark, but can there be a soothing treble. The schreeciest thing I could come up with was 'Tribal' from Jeff Becks new Live+ album. Its mixed Loud. It is very noisy. But I never had the occasion to pull in my eardrums from the treble yet I could delve into the noisiest part, right in that section over there, with a microscope. Wow, I think I can stop here for a while. But, there is still fun to be had with the jumpers. Gotta try the filter cutoffs and then NOS mode.
I think the unit likes to heat up a while to sound its best. I dont think I have fully explored that to its fullest. I think some stuff burns in over time but not the 800's. Im lucky I get the chance to find out. I think Master 11 will get better with age though.

Hey up there, dont wanna read all schitt above. I'M THRILLED WITH THE MASTER 11 HD800 BALANCED SETUP. There ya go.

Congrats defbear. I haven't had a chance to listen to the HD800s but have read many impressions and I can imagine the sound of the M11 being a good match for them.

... oh man, listening to Apparat's 'Candil De La Calle' right now and as cheesy as it sounds, I felt so inspired by the sound that I just smacked the table with excitement, lol.

post-11862173
Post #349 of 2,542

defbear

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was concerned about the heat generated by Master 11. So to test I took it out to my 90 degree F garage and put it on a table among some boxes. I attached an ipad 3 and a set of Lcd2f headphones. I had itunes run various music for 12 hours. I would check it during the day. Listen a bit etc. The long story short is, If I put my hand flatp on top, the unit was Hot. But not to where my hand was burning, just hot. The sound here at the end is pretty well Euphonic. I heard someone else use that term and it seems to fit. About 6 hours into it, I swapped a set of hd800's. There's just oodles of Bass this evening. I have a Lyr2. After it warms up, there is no way I could lay my hand on it and leave it there without being burned. With the Master 11 I can. No doubt Master 11 generates heat. But I (carefully) abused mine in a hostile environment for 12 hours without problems (thank goodness).
Oh and check it out. My old ipad3 playing music for 12 hours straight still has 46% battery left

Reactions: Quinto
post-11865828
Post #350 of 2,542

Quinto

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Bin two weeks since my order, I want my M11! 

post-11865963
Post #351 of 2,542

defbear

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Bin two weeks since my order, I want my M11!  :D
it will be here faster than you can say Liquid Carbon :)

I feel I am most fortunate. Grace quoted me ten days build time. It indeed only took ten business days before I received an email stating it was ready to ship. A day later I got DHL tracking from Hong Kong and 72 hours later it ws in my lap. I am grateful to Kingwa not only for the quick build time but also for the swift communication.
For anyone thinking of an Audio-gd purchase, their system works. Its not like Amazon with a slick shopping cart. But it is painless and reliable. Just email what you want, they email back a quote. You send them Paypal payment for Goods or Services. They send back an acknowledgement of payment and an build time estimate. So the Audio-gd website seemed a little daunting at first. Its not. So Go get yur Audio-gd!

post-11866109
Post #352 of 2,542

DesiGuy79

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Can anyone pls post pic of there m11 with hdmi options. I just got mine but it has empty slot there instead hdmi. Unless I am missing something
Thank you in advance

post-11866153
Post #354 of 2,542

defbear

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Can anyone pls post pic of there m11 with hdmi options. I just got mine but it has empty slot there instead hdmi. Unless I am missing something
Thank you in advance[/quote
I cant do a pic right now but it should be there. Mine is covered by a small grey cap. But it does not look like a cap at first. Mines grey. Find it and gently pull. Please let us know if that was it. Of course im not sure what to attach to the hdmi :xf_eek:

post-11866218
Post #355 of 2,542

DesiGuy79

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I cant do a pic right now but it should be there. Mine is covered by a small grey cap. But it does not look like a cap at first. Mines grey. Find it and gently pull. Please let us know if that was it. Of course im not sure what to attach to the hdmi :xf_eek:
I will look in to it tonight. I know I won't connect anything either but i wanna make sure it's there lol
Thank you

post-11866227
Post #356 of 2,542

DesiGuy79

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Bin two weeks since my order, I want my M11!  :D
I think you will get it soon. I didn't got email confirmation about Shipping either. It just showed up today.

post-11866230
Post #357 of 2,542

Audiolic

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
could it be possible to mod for an additional ouput for pro stax can and koss esp-950.!!! :wink:

or for kingwa to make something of the sort hehe

post-11868520
Post #358 of 2,542

Khragon

Previously known as KMSV.
Reaction score
My Master-11 has shipped.  Order on 8/5.  Was given a 15-20 work days estimate.

post-11869040
Post #359 of 2,542

Audiodandy

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I placed a review on my website about the Master 7 Amanero Combo 384 upgrade
http://www.maartenvandruten.com

post-11869252
Post #360 of 2,542

zeissiez

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I placed a review on my website about the Master 7 Amanero Combo 384 upgrade
http://www.maartenvandruten.com

Great informative review! I love the Master 7 too, it has a thick, weighty and analog sound. Did the Amanero module improved the soundstage depth and transparency?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)