Audio-gd FUN
Feb 10, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #151 of 208
I haven't got to the DAC modules yet, but there are Jumpers. I hadn't seen them and the settings needs to be on the website.

DA1852.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #152 of 208
Agreed Les. Hopefully Kingwa will ad a note on the FUN web page regarding the jumper settings.

I have the Wolfson DAC module and the JFET modules currently installed which means it's tweak time in tweak town for the AD1852 module
biggrin.gif

I have some STD series Black Gates en route (100uf 16V) from Partconexion which should work very well with these 860pf T-1 Teflon bypass caps I have laying about. Might as well use the best stuff (that I can afford) for this tweak.

Peete.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #153 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed Les. Hopefully Kingwa will ad a note on the FUN web page regarding the jumper settings.

I have the Wolfson DAC module and the JFET modules currently installed which means it's tweak time in tweak town for the AD1852 module
biggrin.gif

I have some STD series Black Gates en route (100uf 16V) from Partconexion which should work very well with these 860pf T-1 Teflon bypass caps I have laying about. Might as well use the best stuff (that I can afford) for this tweak.

Peete.

Ya little CAP freak!

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #154 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it will work as you asked.

What you want to know is can you take a Digital DAC signal IN and send it out "DAC OUT" after conversion to Analog.

At the same time take an Analog Signal as a "Line IN" signal and listen to it through the head phones or send out as a "Line-OUT" signal.

Basically separating the DAC and the Head-AMP. You could do this with the Compass and it looks like how the FUN was designed as well. I have not done this exactly like you are describing though.

Did I get that right? Was that what you were asking?

Hmm, i'm confused. LOL

Okay here's the thing, the dac i'm using now doesn't have a preamp, so i can't control the volume of my new active monitors. It might sound strange, but my new monitors don't have a vol control knob, so if the preamp works together with the dac section, i can dump my old dac, get a fun/compass and have it work as both the dac and preamp. Does that make more sense? lol

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #155 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, i'm confused. LOL

Okay here's the thing, the dac i'm using now doesn't have a preamp, so i can't control the volume of my new active monitors. It might sound strange, but my new monitors don't have a vol control knob, so if the preamp works together with the dac section, i can dump my old dac, get a fun/compass and have it work as both the dac and preamp. Does that make more sense? lol

You can either :
1. continue to use your current dac and use the FUN (with its line inputs) to control the volume of your active monitors
2. use the FUN as a DAC/preamp (choosing the line out instead of dac out) to control the volume of your active monitors

Depending on the quality of your DAC, you might prefer either the solution number 1 or number 2. My guess is that unless you have some high end dac and interconnects, using the FUN as a dac/preamp would be probably a good solution.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #156 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curra and slim.a were talking about the jumper settings on the AD1852 module in one of these threads around here somewhere...unless I'm mistaken the DAC can be set for 2 or 4X OS by moving (or removing) said jumper.

Impressions about the jumper settings are here : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post6365804

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #157 of 208
Well just got through working on the AD1852 module, the Diamond output stages and the DIR9001 module. The digital modules had their stock caps swapped for Elna cerafine 100uf 10V and then bypassed with WIMA MKP-10 1uf 63V, MKP-5 .1uf 63V for the DIR module caps. The Diamond buffer I swapped out the NoVers for Elna cerafine 100uf 25V then bypassed them with WIMA MKP10 1.0uf 63V film caps once again.

Currently testing the work, everything is working as it should, sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no idea at this point if it's any better than stock but that is what this experiment is all about... given sufficient time and some reference discs these changes should yield an improvement. At any rate I had all these parts sitting here beforehand having salvaged all the WIMA's off the one half (the good half) of the blown up FBI-500 amp's output board. Figured I might as well do it while waiting on the parts for the FBI-500 to ship.

This project took me longer than I thought it would, then again it always seems to work out that way. All that is left to do is the ACSS stages which I will use STD series black gates to replace the 4 NoVers and T-1 Teflons to bypass them with. This sure is FUN
biggrin.gif

Thanks slim.a for the thread link WRT the jumper settings.

Peete.

EDIT: So far the biggest change I can discern without question is more detail surfacing (low level attributes have improved which translates into an improved SNR, blacker background). Dynamics seem to have more speed without overhang or compression. It all seems to be more relaxed and yet effortless when the source material gets complex/ demanding. I have decided I'm going to pull the main board for extensive upgrades/tweaks. For now though (until the latest parts order arrives) I'll leave it as is and give the FUN a week or so evaluation/burn in.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #160 of 208
I'm a little noob about amps and dacs... little question: could i use the fun as a DAC and an AMP at the same time? I mean, straight from the D2+ to the fun and then from the headphone out to the (future) ad2000?

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #162 of 208

[size=10.0pt]Hi :wink:

I'm about to get my first DAC and I think the GD Fun is a very good option (I don’t have a decent amp either)

I would  appreciate your advice on which version should I get.

Right now this is what I have quoted:

FUN Version A+ OPA MOON Dual + Shipping to Mexico using DHL = 431

FUN Version B + Upgrade WM8741 + OPA MOON Dual + TE7022 module + Shipping to Mexico using DHL = 341

Since I will be using it with my SR225i Grados, I think that the OPA MOON warmness will be a great addition to the sound.

Are the 90 extra bucks worth getting the version A?

I see that the only differences are: Headphone and RCA sockets and supposedly better components

Do I need to specify 24Bit/192KHz support? It is not very clear to me. "Both version default supports up to 96KHz/24Bit SPDIF input. If customers want to support up to 192KHz/24Bit, tell us replace the WM8805 modules by free while place the order please.”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Thanks for your advice![/size]

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #163 of 208
I don't think you can go wrong with either one sound wise.  You probably won't be able to tell them apart.

However, the headphone jacks will be a considerable difference and that will also relate to longevity.  The Neutrik "may" sound better in the short run, may not.  But the cheap one will sound bad in the long run and may be a constant irritation if it starts messing with you.  Also, the "upgraded" RCAs he uses are very nice as well.  Then there's the components.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #164 of 208
So I just got a Maverick D1 and I'm really happy with it, except that there's no way to mute the pre-out to my active speakers when you have headphones plugged in. 

On the FUN, is it possible to mute the output to active speakers via the "line-out" button? I want to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and headphones without havingto power off my speakers

Also, what is the difference between the Line-out and the DAC-out, are they both controlled with the volume knob or is one of them direct? My planned setup could be computer>>USB>>FUN>>active speakers. Would I use the DAC-out or Line-out?

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #165 of 208
I would say that there are 3 types of Outputs out of devices like this.

DAC Out
Pre-Amp out
Line out

DAC-OUT with not be controlled by the volume control.  It is basically a "Line-Out" that is straight out of the DAC.

If I were going to Active speakers with their own Vol Control, that's what I would use.

PRE-outs will be controlled by the Volume Control and amplified by the Pre amp/Head amp circuit and subject to it's distortion products and coloration's.

I don't know for sure if the FUN's Line out is actually a Pre-out or a Line out.  It is not a loop out, that seems clear from the A-GD site. 

To determine, hook up your active speakers and see if the Vol control on the FUN changes the Volume.  That would determine if it's fixed level or variable level.

If you speakers have Vol Control, I would be all over the DAC Out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back