Audio-gd FUN
Jan 5, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #31 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be testing the Audio-gd FUN in a few days. I will be able to make comparisons with the dac-100 (Compass DAC), dac-19mK3 and C2C that I already have.

Cool slim.a we can compare our notes if you want
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll have the 19MKIII/Compass DAC side of it and I'll give her a go against my recently DIY upgraded CD7/RE1/Phoenix combo.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do plan on upgrading the C-2C using the same stuff I used on the ref rig. Might as well see where that takes my Compass if I have any left over from the C-2C job.

I'm curious to test the A version of the FUN using the Wolfson DAC module, DIR9001 receiver module and the diamond buffer output stage. (ACSS gain stage). The B version variables should be a really FUN discovery process. I have suggested a possible third DAC module variant if it can be done (dual chip PCM1704UK's). I hope that option is possible as it may really give the FUN a leg up but short of the DAC19 MKIII's resolution (because of the 19's superior PSU section).

Peete.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #32 of 208
Dual PCM1704 would not be fun.

It would, IMO, take all the DAC modular fun out of the FUN...
wink.gif

This coming from a guy who rarely listens to Wolfsons in his DacMagic (or any other DAC chips for that matter) anymore, after discovering PCM1704.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #33 of 208
Kingwa has said he's going to send me a FUN to experiment with. I guess because he isn't confident with his English he'd rather send a couple of them to us so we can figure things out and explain them.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #34 of 208
Ahhhh man, I want to order the uDac so bad, but I want to know if this is better as a DAC alone.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa has said he's going to send me a FUN to experiment with. I guess because he isn't confident with his English he'd rather send a couple of them to us so we can figure things out and explain them.

Wow, that's cool Curra
smily_headphones1.gif
...looks like there will be fairly broad pool of opinions to draw from...compare notes etc...I certainly look forward to chatting with you and slim.a about this amp/dac.

Peete.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #36 of 208
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's cool Curra
smily_headphones1.gif
...looks like there will be fairly broad pool of opinions to draw from...compare notes etc...I certainly look forward to chatting with you and slim.a about this amp/dac.

Peete.

With at least 3 testers, we should be able to get a decent idea about the peformance of the FUN dac/headphone amp. I am also looking forward to comparing my findings with you.

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #37 of 208
Crank up the hype and FOTM machines. I got sucked into the Compass frenzy, but will not make that mistake again with this. It is however, a solid looking piece of gear as was the Compass, but looks certainly aren't everything.

And, the idea of swappable modules is not a new concept (or even an interesting one) as some folks have posted. I have a little Chinese DAC/AMP made by HA INFO that allows me to swap DAC boards. The older Zhaolu's used to allow swapping as well.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #38 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crank up the hype and FOTM machines. I got sucked into the Compass frenzy, but will not make that mistake again with this. It is however, a solid looking piece of gear as was the Compass, but looks certainly aren't everything.

And, the idea of swappable modules is not a new concept (or even an interesting one) as some folks have posted. I have a little Chinese DAC/AMP made by HA INFO that allows me to swap DAC boards. The older Zhaolu's used to allow swapping as well.

ecclesand,

I understand that you might have been disappointed by the Compass. It is an all purpose entry level product that packs a lot of feature : DAC+Preamp+Headphone amp in one enclosure. I never had the chance to listen to the Compass, but I own the DAC-100 which is the DAC section of the Compass. I bought it because I liked the sound of the Zero DAC before it started having problems. I was looking at that time for a unit that had the same sound signature and that was perhaps better sounding.
When I received it I was quite happy with it because it was better than the Zero DAC and different from the EMU 0404 usb. Because my expectations were not too high, I was quite happy with my purchase.

That is to say, that people shouldn't expect that their Compass should outperform a top tier dac or headphone amp. Audio-gd has many other products in their line up and they are all better than the Compass. What everyone can agree on is that the build quality and the components used in the Compass were of a very high quality for the price (Vishay resistors, discrete output stage, ...). Whether that is good for the sound or not is for every listener to decide.

As for the FUN, I personally think it is a genius idea to have that many modular pieces. You can swap : the usb module, the Digital input module, the DAC module, the opamp module, the gain module and the buffer module ...
These are a lot combinations to play with.
Maybe by using those modules instead of one single board, it will decrease the quality. But I think it is a very good thing because I have always wondered what are the benefits of Current gain vs Voltage or Diamaond output vs. Fet ... So at least this product will let me know what each section of dac/headamp can bring to the table and I will be able to choose more easily gear I haven't listened to when looking at the internals.
I don't believe for one second that it will outperform my current system (dac-19mk3 + C2C) but it will be nice to try and see what an entry level product can bring to the table.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #39 of 208
Quote:

Because my expectations were not too high, I was quite happy with my purchase.

That is to say, that people shouldn't expect that their Compass should outperform a top tier dac or headphone amp. Audio-gd has many other products in their line up and they are all better than the Compass. What everyone can agree on is that the build quality and the components used in the Compass were of a very high quality for the price (Vishay resistors, discrete output stage, ...). Whether that is good for the sound or not is for every listener to decide.

I really didn't have high expectations for the Compass. And I too agree that it is very well built. However, I was very disappointed when a StyleAudio Carat-Peridot running on usb power sounded much better than the Compass with any HDAM. For the investment and the hype, the Compass should have been a better performer than the Peridot. The Compass also sounded much worse than a stock Lite DAC-AH to my ears but the Lite is a DAC only and doesn't have USB input. The Compass is definitely a versatile piece of gear with the pre-amp and ability to bypass the amp and use the DAC only.

I'm happy for the folks that bought the Compass and really enjoy it. However, there are several people who bought one and were disappointed with it based on pms I have received. I just hope the Fun doesn't get overhyped like the Compass did.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #40 of 208
Quote:

Hey, I want one toooooo.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #41 of 208
Quote:

With at least 3 testers, we should be able to get a decent idea about the peformance of the FUN dac/headphone amp. I am also looking forward to comparing my findings with you.

slim.a, Curra, PP: About when do you think you will be able to post your findings? I am really curious, thanks
popcorn.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #42 of 208
Quote:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I will be testing the Audio-gd FUN in a few days. I will be able to make comparisons with the dac-100 (Compass DAC), dac-19mK3 and C2C that I already have.

Awesome, hoping to read it soon. I am considering buying one.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #43 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by vilasn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
slim.a, Curra, PP: About when do you think you will be able to post your findings? I am really curious, thanks
popcorn.gif

No idea. Patience is advised. See the picture in my profile for the reason.
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #44 of 208
looking forward to your review
smily_headphones1.gif
might splurge abit and update my zero to a FUN.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #45 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's the giant killers giant killer.

The entity called "Kingwa" sure is a good (some may use a different description) marketer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back