Audio-gd Digital Interface
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #3,572 of 4,156
Can anyone help me out? I must have really bad luck. I bought the DI-DSP a while ago and sold it because it would not connect to my desktop properly. I thought that by the time the DI-V3 was out, that the drivers would be fixed. Just received it today and cannot get it running. My computer BSODs anytime I try to follow the instructions on the audio-gd website. 

I installed the driver (v1.22), and it didn't tell me that anything failed on the log. So I restarted the computer, and the computer does see the DI-V3, but I can't set up ASIO nor can I use WASAPI or any other output device. When I try to follow the instructions for ASIO, I get this error message when I select VIA DirectKS ASIO as the driver in foobar's ASIO Virtual Device Editor: "An error occured while querying "VIA DirectKS ASIO driver. Please stop ASIO playback and shut down any other software using ASIO. Additional info: Initializing ASIO driver failed." Nothing plays through WASAPI and KS. If I set it to Speaker, it crashes foobar or my computer. 

I'm on Win7 x64 plugged into a USB 3.0 port. My motherboard does not have USB2 ports. Thanks in advance.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3,574 of 4,156
An update to my situation:

After raging for about two hours trying to get it to work, having tested that it works on every computer I have except my desktop, I reformatted the desktop. When I installed it this time, everything went well, BUT it still could not play music. The only difference between my other computers and my desktop is that the USB ports were USB 2.0, so I had to get some USB 2.0 ports on my desktop. I didn't have a USB 2.0 hub or USB 2.0 header around, but I remembered that my Das keyboard had two USB ports, and luckily, it acted as a USB 2.0 hub. Plugged the DI-V3 into that and everything works perfectly now. Wasted sooo much time on this but I am so relieved that it's working now. Just a heads up if anyone else has issues installing the DI-V3.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #3,576 of 4,156
I'm really sorry to read about so much computer/software/usb troubles in connection with the DI V3. On a more positive note: I received my DI V3 last Monday, and it truly sings. It is going to stay. The V3 is my first DI. Setup:
SBT Touch + usb harddisk + upgraded PSU, Samsung PVR, Pioneer LX 55 (blu ray, DVD, sacd) --> Inday digital source selector --> DI V3 --> Audio GD Ref 7.
Connections/cables: usb harddisk to SBT; Blu ray: HDMI + 'de-embedder' to Toslink; DI to DAC: BNC, and for the rest: SPDIF coax or Toslink.
Improvements via all sources after insertion of DI in the chain: better transparency and detail, gentler treble, more precise stereo imaging and (cliché!) 'blacker' background. Don't worry about a possible negative contribution of the source selector: there isn't any (no audible difference with or without it). 
Thanks, King Wa.   

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3,578 of 4,156
guys, can you please say which firmware is green and which one is black? which is async and which is not?
i couldn't find any info on firmware numbers and their difference. seems like Kingwa removed it from the site.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #3,579 of 4,156
I don't know...
I just ordered a DI V3 (with TCXO) and hooked it up. I just use the coax input on the DI, no usb connection, so I thought the firmware version was irrelevant.
I repeat: this thing sounds fantastic! 

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #3,580 of 4,156
uhm. i think that if you're not using USB there was no need for upgraded TCXO
it's clocking the USB input only

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,581 of 4,156
Quote:
I don't know...
I just ordered a DI V3 (with TCXO) and hooked it up. I just use the coax input on the DI, no usb connection, so I thought the firmware version was irrelevant.
I repeat: this thing sounds fantastic! 

You might want to use the usb input, as that is what the TCXO upgrade helps. From my impressions from the DI-V3 built into my Ref 10: usb has better separation of instruments, better tone (although the sound becomes less relaxed and more crystalline) and more meat on the bones. This is all compared to the coax input. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3,582 of 4,156
I guess I can survive a US 20 mistake. But now I'll hook up my pc to the DI too, via usb, to enjoy full profit!
Still, I wonder how this thing works. On the Audio GD website the photo of the insides of the V3 shows just one clock (with the TCXO shown in a photo insert), and King Wa wrote next to it:  "In the DI-V3 had one clock can be upgrade, upgrade to TCXO price +USD20."
If this one clock helps to de-jitter the usb input, how then does this DI go about de-jittering the coax input? Removing jitter is the correction of timing errors. That is the main job of a digital interface. Can you do that without an accurate reference clock?

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,583 of 4,156
funny thing is that that clock is only for usb-protocol receiving.
it has nothing to do with the PCM audio-stream and its jitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back