Audio-gd Digital Interface
May 30, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2,056 of 4,156
hmm seems dropouts don't coincide with latency spikes.  Might just be dirty power or RFI from other USB?

May 30, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #2,057 of 4,156
guys, what exactly do you call "dropouts" in DI's case?

May 30, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #2,059 of 4,156
if talking about cracking it is usually fixed by connecting DI to a USB-controller which is not occupied by any other device (that can be checked in the Devices menu of My computer). also, there are cases when setting low playback latency (50-100 ms) helps.

talking about dirty PC power - i had this issue (which was pretty unexpected because i thought that my Chieftec 750w PSU is pretty good). switching to a separate power supply made those noises quieter, switching to Audio-gd's PSU for DI made them even more quiet. but anyway when not playing music and turning volume on my amp to the max i can hear noises coming from USB.
never had any dropout issues due to dirty power. i guess it isn't the reason for those.

May 31, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #2,062 of 4,156
Has anyone experienced ''clicks'' from the psu affected by room electricity, like air conditioning?

Is there something to worry about?

Yes we have.

Yes you have: the PSU of your transport/source is not that good.

With my gear: listen to DacMagic, turn on the old CRT TV in the room - music drops out (clicks) for a split second. Do the same while listening to RE-1 - nothing happens, music just continue to play unaffected.

For non PSU sag related dropouts with Win PC you might try Fidelizer.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #2,064 of 4,156
it means that it operates in class A - heats a lot, eats more than produces, but gives out really stable voltage, etc.

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #2,067 of 4,156

Quote:
I'm a bit worried after reading through the last couple of pages. How come people report such significant differences when rolling components such as the hex inverter and such? Honestly it's a bit absurd for me.

Totally agree.
This DI is so well implemented that even upgrading the power supply is barely evident on very resolving systems/headphones.

Obviously upsampling is one way of testing sonic differences.

I have been using an AD1865 dac with the original mode of the DI, and then with the upsampling turned on - this is definitely a noticeable difference.  The upsampling is highly preferable.  I suppose to some (and me, a few days ago!) it seems absurd to put a upsampled audio streams into a non-oversampling DAC, but at 96khz, the AD1865 seems to have a much better treble!

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,068 of 4,156
well...i myself don't know how people report significant differences when talking about DACs in under $500 range :)

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #2,069 of 4,156
dunno about upsampling
at first i liked it a lot, but since getting the PSU i feel that i no longer have the previously experienced harshness in sound, so i switched to non-upsampled mode. it sounds more natural to me now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back