Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #1,951 of 4,156
If you are thinking of getting an Audiophilleo I think tis best to just do it. Ive heard the AP2 and have the DI A with its PSU but no TXCO yet. AP2 was better and was very sweet and coherent. Audiophilleo give you 30 days to try at home. Thats the only way to find out if it will work for you. Be warned that despite the big expense it might be very hard to return it.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #1,952 of 4,156
Concerning SPDIF-in or USB-in on the DI (version A with PSU):

Last night I tried MacBook Pro (Flac)—>M2Tech HiFace—>via coax—>DI (no oversampling)—>NFB-3; and then MacBook Pro—>Via USB (Locus Design)—DI (no oversampling)—>NFB-3.

Preliminary results, after about an hour of listening to two songs from k.d. lang’s Ingenue:

With HiFace (Coax) there was a small amount of raspiness to the sound. Acoustic guitars, in particular, sounded unnatural. I initially perceived a somewhat larger soundstage but on further listening concluded that it felt artificial. The USB out was ultimately more realistic-sounding and satisfying, with truer instrumental timbres and lacking the (slight) artifacts that I heard from the Coax connection.

Please take into consideration—those that believe that cables make a difference—that my Coax cable was NOT in the same price bracket (although a solid performer [Blue Jeans RCA/RCA]) as the Locus Design USB cable. I will try it again later with a different Coax cable and using only classical music.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #1,954 of 4,156
Very interesting impressions. Thanks for sharing and linking the post in question. Does anyone have a few ideas of a few good value sound cards that include coaxial out? I'm wondering how much it would run to get one that would bring out the improvements vpsporb described. I only have optical out of my mobo or straight USB using a WyreWorld Ultraviolet cable.

Quote:
Heads up for those with version A DI (and external PSU)...

It seems that DI might be much better reclocker than USB to SPDIF converter. I do not know how had I missed this, most probably when I got my DI I've just checked SPDIF to SPDIF functionality and moved forward with DI modding. But after reading an interesting finding in NFB-11 thread (thanks vpsporb), I chained "old" Musiland Monitor 01 USD with DI and DacMagic (yah, my RE-1/7 is unfortunatelly not operational by my mistake). The results were quite interesting to say the least. Have to evaluate further for firmer verdict, but what I was hearing deserves at least a heads up in DI thread.

So guys, if you have the HW required for this test - do try it. Get a SPDIF transport, RCA coax it to DI SPDIF input, connect DI SPDIF output to your DAC; power the DI from external PSU. The SPDIF transport can be anything from cheap 'ol CD player to HiFace and the likes (Squeezebox Touch anyone?). Please report results.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #1,955 of 4,156
What FauDrei describes reminds me of the Monarchy Audio device (DIP classic) sold a few years back (which is still popluar to some degree AFAIK) and the newer DIP Combo. Refining the timing of the stream is always a good tweak worth persuing (provided it's relative to the cost of the gear you are trying to improve upon).

Peete.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #1,956 of 4,156

Quote:
What FauDrei describes reminds me of the Monarchy Audio device (DIP classic) sold a few years back (which is still popluar to some degree AFAIK) and the newer DIP Combo. Refining the timing of the stream is always a good tweak worth persuing (provided it's relative to the cost of the gear you are trying to improve upon).

Peete.

OffTopic: The Monarchy DIP Combo made an immediate, noticeable impact on my $1000 10 year old CD player that been converted to a transport going into a Monarchy Audio DAC. Bass was tightened up and all instruments had more air behind it. Highly recommended.

OnTopic: I have a DI (B model with upgraded PSU) coming next week and will be testing it with the same Monarchy Audio DIP and NM24 DAC. For laughs and giggles, I also have an older Audio Alchemy DTI 1.0 jitter reducer in the closet that I'll be swapping into the chain. Should be fun. I'll let you guys know the results.

Apr 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #1,957 of 4,156
Nice, I look forward to your impressions. I actually came really close to ordering a DIP a year or two ago and had forgotten about it. I'm actually leaning now twards picking up an Audiophilleo2 instead of the DI and PSU combo. If anyone has compared both, I would definitely appreciate a PM to not derail this thread.

Quote:

OffTopic: The Monarchy DIP Combo made an immediate, noticeable impact on my $1000 10 year old CD player that been converted to a transport going into a Monarchy Audio DAC. Bass was tightened up and all instruments had more air behind it. Highly recommended.

OnTopic: I have a DI (B model with upgraded PSU) coming next week and will be testing it with the same Monarchy Audio DIP and NM24 DAC. For laughs and giggles, I also have an older Audio Alchemy DTI 1.0 jitter reducer in the closet that I'll be swapping into the chain. Should be fun. I'll let you guys know the results.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,958 of 4,156
I started a new thread for the Audiophilleo as I couldn't find a suitable one: 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551716/audiophilleo-1-and-2-usb-to-s-pdif-transport

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,959 of 4,156
Awesome, I can't wait to hear your impressions as I am thinking about ordering an Audiophilleo2 this weekend. :)

Quote:
I started a new thread for the Audiophilleo as I couldn't find a suitable one: 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/551716/audiophilleo-1-and-2-usb-to-s-pdif-transport

May 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #1,960 of 4,156
I decided to go the Audiophilleo2 route instead of the DI & PSU combo. I ordered it tonight and will try and post impressions over on the new thread that Currawong started if anyone is interested. FYI.

May 2, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #1,961 of 4,156
Hello I am a newbe,
can anyone suggest as me intenssion is to use AUDIO GD DSP3 with CMP .
So is DSP3 ASIO compatible ?
If that so can I use THUNEAU ALLOCATOR over DSP3 instead of my ESI JULIA soundcard.
Thanks the membrs in advance for any kind of useful answer
Zoran

May 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,962 of 4,156
May 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,964 of 4,156
A quick (and definitely noob) question: I have a Black Cat Veloce SPDIF cable to run from my DI to the DAC. It is actually a BNC-terminated cable that comes with 2 BNC-RCA adapters attached. Can I run the BNC out from the DI to the SPDIF input on my MHDT Havana (which has no BNC input)  without any problems?  The adapters are easy to  remove and I'm asking because the Black Cat cable is a bit too loose for my liking using both the DI and Havana RCA inputs and I'd like to remedy at least one  of these terminations.
thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back