Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,936 of 4,156

Quote:
Quick answer:  Yes , enabling the DI upsampling lowers the jitter... you can read more about other dropout fixes that worked for other Head-fier's at the Audio-GD NFB-11 thread , page 57 - post # 853 seems to confirm this.

Just an update,
 I did try the 96 upsampling option with the DI into the EE DAC but it collapsed the soundstage and lost a lot of detail. I then tried the USB directly into the EE DAC (by-passing the DI)  and while that worked well and had no drop-outs, it was not at all synergistic with my system, producing tremendous detail and soundstaging but way too bright on the highs to me. I have since discovered that the EE DAC works extremely well for some but that it needs a very-low jitter feed or it doesn't lock properly and walso works best with systems that are more-laid back. I put the DI back into my Linx-based system withthe MDHT Havana and it went back to being warmer and more musical albeit less detailed.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #1,937 of 4,156
Did you try it with just the "NO-C" jumper "ON" = 48K ?  I found that it too shrank the soundstage too, but 48K upsampling had more detail than 96K , but this is so subtle to me , not collapsed , some detail lost yes , but not a lot.  You have costlier equipment than I do , must have better listening skills too , (As knowing how to spot differences quickly).

I'm still breaking in the D.I. and TCXO upsampling in with a NFB-11 (non-usb) , I have about 80 hours on the TCXO , and 120 hours with the NFB-11. I don't like 192K at all , 96K is so-so , 48K better detail for me.  DI connected by BNC to NFB-11 , haven't tried it yet with Coaxial out, maybe in a week or two.

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,938 of 4,156

Quote:
Did you try it with just the "NO-C" jumper "ON" = 48K ?  I found that it too shrank the soundstage too, but 48K upsampling had more detail than 96K , but this is so subtle to me , not collapsed , some detail lost yes , but not a lot.  You have costlier equipment than I do , must have better listening skills too , (As knowing how to spot differences quickly).

I'm still breaking in the D.I. and TCXO upsampling in with a NFB-11 (non-usb) , I have about 80 hours on the TCXO , and 120 hours with the NFB-11. I don't like 192K at all , 96K is so-so , 48K better detail for me.  DI connected by BNC to NFB-11 , haven't tried it yet with Coaxial out, maybe in a week or two.

Thanks for the props but I wouldn't really consider myself to have really good 'listening skills" it was just that the difference was really quite stark...I didn't try the NO-C jumper setting as with both the upsampling and stock settings, the EE DAC still wouldn't lock properly and kept having frequent drop-outs. When I tried it with straight USB-in, it was still way too bright and dynamic for my liking and system, too "hard" on the highs...I'm back to the DI with my MHDT Havana and it does sound less dynamic but much sweeter.
nother question, I am very curious about the Audio-GD NFB-2, does it "play nice" with the DI? I am still interested in having a hi-rez option.....

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,939 of 4,156

Quote:
Thanks for the props but I wouldn't really consider myself to have really good 'listening skills" it was just that the difference was really quite stark...I didn't try the NO-C jumper setting as with both the upsampling and stock settings, the EE DAC still wouldn't lock properly and kept having frequent drop-outs. When I tried it with straight USB-in, it was still way too bright and dynamic for my liking and system, too "hard" on the highs...I'm back to the DI with my MHDT Havana and it does sound less dynamic but much sweeter.
nother question, I am very curious about the Audio-GD NFB-2, does it "play nice" with the DI? I am still interested in having a hi-rez option.....

Hi A -

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "dynamic"?  Are you talking about dynamic range?

E

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #1,940 of 4,156

Quote:

I do know the D.I. plays very good with my NFB-12 (I used it with No Upsamling for about 200 hrs. , never a dropout), and it has Dual  Wolfson WM8741 inside like the NFB-2. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #1,941 of 4,156

Quote:

no-upsampling on DI has the best detail. =)

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,943 of 4,156

Quote:
I agree, I just switched back to native sampling.

Edit: Strangely, I'm getting dropouts again with upsampling off...

Hmm maybe its the loose cable? I get that often whenever I play around with the jumper setting.

Apr 25, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #1,945 of 4,156
Quote:
hate to know that upsampling will remove some details or even reduce the soundstage. 

I think it really depends on the technique applied for upsampling, be it through hardware or software.

I love the software upsampling through one of the program on my Mac but I just dislike that of DI's even with the upgraded clock.

For me the best upsampling is one which will remain all the details and emotion in the music while at the same time remove all the sharp edges in the music =)

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,946 of 4,156
Heads up for those with version A DI (and external PSU)...

It seems that DI might be much better reclocker than USB to SPDIF converter. I do not know how had I missed this, most probably when I got my DI I've just checked SPDIF to SPDIF functionality and moved forward with DI modding. But after reading an interesting finding in NFB-11 thread (thanks vpsporb), I chained "old" Musiland Monitor 01 USD with DI and DacMagic (yah, my RE-1/7 is unfortunatelly not operational by my mistake). The results were quite interesting to say the least. Have to evaluate further for firmer verdict, but what I was hearing deserves at least a heads up in DI thread.

So guys, if you have the HW required for this test - do try it. Get a SPDIF transport, RCA coax it to DI SPDIF input, connect DI SPDIF output to your DAC; power the DI from external PSU. The SPDIF transport can be anything from cheap 'ol CD player to HiFace and the likes (Squeezebox Touch anyone?). Please report results.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,947 of 4,156
I did compare it with the (both electronically and audibly) poor output of my SACD player and it made for quite an improvement. I haven't tried again using the PSU as well though.

I've given into curiosity and bought an Audiophillio however, so once I've sorted out moving into a bigger apartment, I'll do some comparisons.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #1,948 of 4,156
I am really mad. really-really.
here's my story:

1)      On February 25 I’ve sent payment for NFB-11
2)      On March 16 when asked about shipping time Edwin responded that it will be “next week”
3)      On April 7 while my NFB-11 wasn't ready yet, I’ve decided to add more money in order to get a Digital Interface sent with NFB-11. So i've sent that money too the same day.
4)      On April 13, after almost 50 days of making my NFB-11, Edwin answered that finally (!!!) “The NFB-11 is ok this week, but the Digital Interface need ready and next week”
5)      On April 18 Edwin said that my package was already shipped (which was obviously a lie)
6)      On April 20 I wrote Edwin that “i've read some stories on Head-fi and russian forums about how you lie to people that you send equipment, but actually do it with a delay of 2 weeks” and….
7)      On April 21 I finally received DHL tracking number … it said that my item was shipped the same day (April 21)
8)      Today is April 26 I’ve finally received the package…but it only contained NFB-11. And the included invoice said only about it (i.e. "headphone amplifier")

I should say that I really respect Audio-gd’s work and the quality of their products – these guys do a great job.
But this kind of service…well, you know….

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #1,949 of 4,156

Quote:
I am really mad. really-really.
here's my story:

1)      On February 25 I’ve sent payment for NFB-11
2)      On March 16 when asked about shipping time Edwin responded that it will be “next week”
3)      On April 7 while my NFB-11 wasn't ready yet, I’ve decided to add more money in order to get a Digital Interface sent with NFB-11. So i've sent that money too the same day.
4)      On April 13, after almost 50 days of making my NFB-11, Edwin answered that finally (!!!) “The NFB-11 is ok this week, but the Digital Interface need ready and next week”
5)      On April 18 Edwin said that my package was already shipped (which was obviously a lie)
6)      On April 20 I wrote Edwin that “i've read some stories on Head-fi and russian forums about how you lie to people that you send equipment, but actually do it with a delay of 2 weeks” and….
7)      On April 21 I finally received DHL tracking number … it said that my item was shipped the same day (April 21)
8)      Today is April 26 I’ve finally received the package…but it only contained NFB-11. And the included invoice said only about it (i.e. "headphone amplifier")

I should say that I really respect Audio-gd’s work and the quality of their products – these guys do a great job.
But this kind of service…well, you know….

I empathize with you. Was really mad with how they treated my DI order too. I love the quality of their product as well as their value-for-money, but that is one of the reason why I am sticking with Meier Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back