Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 13, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,891 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
Well all of this "signal degradation" sounds great to me and many others. I really think you ought to try the DI at a meet or something rather than being so cynical about it.

this sure reminds me of the 160D thread and blind faith/almost devotion to it from the people
biggrin.gif
who own a unit.

I think the question for DI is: would it sound better if it was really async USB and galvanically isolated .

as for DI I find it interesting that ADG managed to phrase the description in such a way that some people thought it was both async transfer mode USB and galvanically isolated USB input
biggrin.gif

>I don't think being 'new' to a forum means I should be less outspoken about my opinions

Don't worry, he's equally rude to everyone, regardless of post-count
biggrin.gif

Yeah he seems to be getting defensive for all the wrong reasons.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #1,892 of 4,156

Quote:
Don't misunderstand, I'm not being cynical.

If anything, I'm all for Audio-GD products. I use one of their sabre dacs along with their preamp and power amp. I'm about to purchase a DI also.

All I'm trying to do is determine whether or not the USB implementation on their Wolfson Dacs are a better option and if not, why isn't it since it uses a better path.

i wouldn't recommend this thread as a source for any useful technical knowledge. if you're lucky, you might get a prickly attitude. most likely though, it'll be accompanied with some manner of pretentious misinformation.

welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your rude welcome.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,893 of 4,156
The DI improves sound from USB- it seems to have a preference over the modded Hiface and I like it better than my old Bel Canto USBlink. It's not that terribly expensive and if you're worried about spending $150-200, then use the standard usb input of whatever device you own.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,894 of 4,156

Quote:
The DI improves sound from USB- it seems to have a preference over the modded Hiface and I like it better than my old Bel Canto USBlink. It's not that terribly expensive and if you're worried about spending $150-200, then use the standard usb input of whatever device you own.

This amount of money is not a 'worry' to me. I merely raised these questions to determine if my money would be better spent on a DI or one of Audio-GD's wolfson DACs with the usb i2s input (considering I already have one of their sabre DACs)

Quote:
i wouldn't recommend this thread as a source for any useful technical knowledge. if you're lucky, you might get a prickly attitude. most likely though, it'll be accompanied with some manner of pretentious misinformation.

welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your rude welcome.

Thanks for the welcome. It certainly does look this way. Is it just this thread or does this apply to the entire forum?

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #1,897 of 4,156
Kingwa fixed the USB implementation on the NFB-10 and NFB-11.  I know because he sent my NFB-11 back and it works perfectly. The problem he is having at the moment has to do with parts supply issues and he is working on improving the workflow in his business.

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #1,898 of 4,156
Kingwa fixed the USB implementation on the NFB-10 and NFB-11.  I know because he sent my NFB-11 back and it works perfectly. The problem he is having at the moment has to do with parts supply issues and he is working on improving the workflow in his business.

is the fix upgrading the clock to stabilize the USBtoI2S->DAC?

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #1,899 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

is the fix upgrading the clock to stabilize the USBtoI2S->DAC?

I may be assuming things without confirming with Kingwa but I don't think he fixed the USBtoI2S>DAC for the sabre dacs.
My belief is he resorted to the standard USB implementation most other dac manufacturers use which is to convert usb signal to spdif then to i2s.

Reasoning? Because he does not list usbtoi2s in his sabre dacs but do for all his wolfson dacs.

Listing USB to I2s gives him marketing advantage and he would've listed it if the DAC indeed had the feature.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #1,900 of 4,156
I may be assuming things without confirming with Kingwa but I don't think he fixed the USBtoI2S>DAC for the sabre dacs.
My belief is he resorted to the standard USB implementation most other dac manufacturers use which is to convert usb signal to spdif then to i2s.

Reasoning? Because he does not list usbtoi2s in his sabre dacs but do for all his wolfson dacs.

Listing USB to I2s gives him marketing advantage and he would've listed it if the DAC indeed had the feature.

sounds reasonable. Email him and ask plz?

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #1,901 of 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see you have the starlight usb cable, I just bought one too. How do you find it with the DI?

Hey I have reply you through PM. Don't wanna get flamed, accused by people here.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,902 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

sounds reasonable. Email him and ask plz?

Do you have his direct email? Whenever I email the audio-gd email, Edwin replies and he doesn't really understand the questions I ask.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #1,903 of 4,156

Quote:
Do you have his direct email? Whenever I email the audio-gd email, Edwin replies and he doesn't really understand the questions I ask.

His email is listed at audio-gd website too. I have emailed Kingwa before but at times he doesn't get what I was asking too.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #1,904 of 4,156

just use the normal one, but ask Edwin to ask Kingwa. That's what I usually do. Whether that gets to Kingwa, or Edwin 'impersonates' Kingwa :D ... who knows :D.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #1,905 of 4,156
Flame suit on as well, but I'm also curious about your impressions of the WW starlight usb cable with the DI. I have the WW ultraviolet usb cable in my chain. I got the DI and ultraviolet around same time, and initially ran them separately to assess their individual impact. It's hard to believe but I was initially more wowed by the improvements from the usb cable than DI, both to my nfb-12. Perhaps the USB cable I was using before was of poor quality.

Quote:
Hey I have reply you through PM. Don't wanna get flamed, accused by people here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back