Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 1, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #1,832 of 4,156
I set my DI for upsampling to 96khz. I also have my Windows sound setup as 2ch 16bit 44.1khz by default. Hope you can replicate what I do and get same result. My DI is playing one of my 24bit-88khz albums now.

Quote:
I just went to Linn Records and downloaded 24/88.2 test file , with asio4all I get:
Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (88200Hz); please configure resampler appropriately

I can't duplicate your claim since I haven't figured out a way yet to get the Teralink-X2 drivers to work , but since Teralink-X2 reviewers say it doesn't support 88.2KHz files either , I'm curious to know how you got it working.  Are you possibly re-sampling the 88.2MHz file before sending it to DI?  Is that possible with the X2-ASIO drivers?

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,833 of 4,156
Thanks erjifan , you must have something better than WinXP, I haven't found that kind of control in WinXP , time to upgrade I believe, just need to start looking for a real good laptop I can load my music files on.  Your the 1st person I've heard to get 88.2 work , nice job!

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #1,834 of 4,156
I'm using Win 7 sp1 64bit. I heard sp1 even has better USB audio driver though I couldn't tell. I guess it worths an upgrade.

Quote:
Thanks erjifan , you must have something better than WinXP, I haven't found that kind of control in WinXP , time to upgrade I believe, just need to start looking for a real good laptop I can load my music files on.  Your the 1st person I've heard to get 88.2 work , nice job!

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,835 of 4,156
As far as playing 88.2 files via the DI there are two ways that I think will work:

1. USB only DI version - the TE USB recieving chip in the DI dosent recognise 88.2k so you will need ,to send it a freq it recognises eg 96k.
Set your player eg with Windows use Foobar to upsample to 96k. Upsampling can decrease jitter if the internal clock is good enough which is problematic on most machines. In Foobar use the SOX DSP and set it up with very high quality and phase at 50% and set Foobar to have high priority via the Task Manager

2. If you have the DI version with SPDIF in, send it 88.2 from SPDIF out of an internal sound card set up to output 88.2

Hope that helps some one.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,837 of 4,156

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse here but my question is- if my on-board audio devices are all disabled (in device manager), how can the computer upsample? Don't the sound cards do that?

The CPU is doing the upsampling work for the USB audio interface. Even with integrated audio, your CPU is doing most of the work. If you had a full fledged sound card and were outputting spdif directly from the card, then the card would theoretically control all of the upsampling or lack thereof.

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #1,839 of 4,156
Do I need to open DI and change something for theoretically better sound? I have it connected via USB. I opened it because saw that picture:\\

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/DSP3.JPG

I dont have any jumper fdor pins right now. But does that upsampling is better at on mode? What is MMD0 and MMD1 - when jumpers pushed into it agoers to 192K always? i dont understand it well. Can someone please explain it?

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,840 of 4,156
Do I need to open DI and change something for theoretically better sound? I have it connected via USB. I opened it because saw that picture:\\

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/DSP3.JPG

I dont have any jumper fdor pins right now. But does that upsampling is better at on mode? What is MMD0 and MMD1 - when jumpers pushed into it agoers to 192K always? i dont understand it well. Can someone please explain it?

upsampling doesn't necessarily make the sound better. a lot of ppl including myself prefer the default setting (no jumper installed). i feel that upsampling makes the sound unnatural, and the best way really is to obtain high resolution music files like the ones from HDtracks. You should test it by inserting jumpers as Audio-GD showed in that picture, and see which one sounds better to you. everyone's ears are different. :)

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,841 of 4,156
All I had to do to play a 88.2 file was to go into foobar's DSP Manager and activate the resampler (PPHS) , then configure it to 44.1 or 96 , it's just resampled , but works.  Kudo's for foobar , Knuckle-head rub for me.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,842 of 4,156

Yeah, that seemed like the obvious answer to me as well. Was wondering why more people don't do this, guess they want native 88.2 without resampling. doubt taking it to 96 does much harm to the audio.
Quote:
All I had to do to play a 88.2 file was to go into foobar's DSP Manager and activate the resampler (PPHS) , then configure it to 44.1 or 96 , it's just resampled , but works.  Kudo's for foobar , Knuckle-head rub for me.

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,843 of 4,156
Yeah, that seemed like the obvious answer to me as well. Was wondering why more people don't do this, guess they want native 88.2 without resampling. doubt taking it to 96 does much harm to the audio.

That's what I've always done with my 88.2 files, sending them to my Teralink X2 which is configured as a 96/24 output device in Windows 7. (Hoping to replace the Teralink X2 with a DI soon.)

The Foobar PPHS resampler works great, but you wonder why the "ultra" mode is still included, when everybody (including the author, apparently) recommends against using it.

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #1,845 of 4,156
Does that external PSU can be used with other DACs like V-DAC or others? Is it universal? I see absolutely no difference with or without PSU changing DCIN-USB. Maybe because good PSU and mobo in PC - I dont know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back