Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,816 of 4,156

Quote:
Guys, do the base of your TCXO clock touch the top of the socket? Mine does not and I don't know if the feet are too long or if the red rectangular thing just beside the clock block it a bit. I pushed it in the socket as much as I could and it seems that the feet of the clock are too long to touch the top of the socket.

I'm trying to find an explanation for the buzz in the bass. I emailed audio-gd.

Seems to be an audio-gd thing since on my NFB-2 my DIR9001 is in the same boat on one side but I dont have any problems with the connection audibly.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #1,817 of 4,156
Quote:
Of course, a ground loop... I grabbed a laptop today and sure enough, quiet as a mouse, even with the AC adaptor plugged in. I obviously have an issue with my music PC. Thanks guy's.

What sort of CPU and motherboard are you using (Do you know?). You may try going into the BIOS and disabling Hyperthreading and Speedstep if it's an Intel CPU, and turn off Cool 'n' Quiet if it's an AMD CPU. To get into the BIOS you usually have to press a key like Del or F10 while it is booting up but before it reaches the windows loading screen.

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #1,818 of 4,156

Quote:
What sort of CPU and motherboard are you using (Do you know?). You may try going into the BIOS and disabling Hyperthreading and Speedstep if it's an Intel CPU, and turn off Cool 'n' Quiet if it's an AMD CPU. To get into the BIOS you usually have to press a key like Del or F10 while it is booting up but before it reaches the windows loading screen.

It's an HP Small Form Factor Corporate PC with Intel Dual Core 2 - no Hyperthreading or Speedstep. Its small and quiet. I've been in the BIOS before, it's basic, but I'll have a poke around. I guess what confused me and I found it strange that the Musiland had no noise problems.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,819 of 4,156
I dunno, I have a fairly powerful machine(not going to bother, its in my profile) and although they are generally all high powered components I don't get any noise or any of those kinds of issues through my transport.  This is with the power being alotted to USB coming from my PSU.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #1,820 of 4,156
I dunno, I have a fairly powerful machine(not going to bother, its in my profile) and although they are generally all high powered components I don't get any noise or any of those kinds of issues through my transport.  This is with the power being alotted to USB coming from my PSU.

Yeah, that's a "robust" computing rig you have in your profile. I am still using the year-old Sony laptop with self-installed 80-gb. Intel SSD, but I can't complain. For music or BluRay movies, my audio chain is dead-quiet other than the signal. I can turn the gain all the way up on my esoteric preamp (see my profile) and there is no noise, but when I feed any signal to the NFB-3 (through the Teralink X2 via coax input), my Hafler 220 rattles the walls, principally of my speaker enclosures. Need to damp them more. I am seriously thinking about e-mailing Edwin and getting a USB-only Digital Interface with the clock upgrade and seeing how much improvement I can detect over the Teralink, which I can probably get $50 of the $77 I spent to get it back. Might hold off on the DI PSU depending on how much it would cost to ship it separately and individually later.

Being an audiophile on a tightly constrained budget leads to a lot of DIY projects and "turning over your old inventory." I'm about to put my Maverick A1 up for sale now that I've rigged something to connect to my Hafler to serve as a headphone amp. That's why the DI now has my attention more than a C-2.1, although maybe someday.... The ACSS circuit topology end-to-end is really nice.

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #1,821 of 4,156
Well most people say the more robust the rig, the more noise.  Which doesn't seem to be my specific case.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, that's a "robust" computing rig you have in your profile. I am still using the year-old Sony laptop with self-installed 80-gb. Intel SSD, but I can't complain. For music or BluRay movies, my audio chain is dead-quiet other than the signal. I can turn the gain all the way up on my esoteric preamp (see my profile) and there is no noise, but when I feed any signal to the NFB-3 (through the Teralink X2 via coax input), my Hafler 220 rattles the walls, principally of my speaker enclosures. Need to damp them more. I am seriously thinking about e-mailing Edwin and getting a USB-only Digital Interface with the clock upgrade and seeing how much improvement I can detect over the Teralink, which I can probably get $50 of the $77 I spent to get it back. Might hold off on the DI PSU depending on how much it would cost to ship it separately and individually later.

Being an audiophile on a tightly constrained budget leads to a lot of DIY projects and "turning over your old inventory." I'm about to put my Maverick A1 up for sale now that I've rigged something to connect to my Hafler to serve as a headphone amp. That's why the DI now has my attention more than a C-2.1, although maybe someday.... The ACSS circuit topology end-to-end is really nice.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,822 of 4,156
RF Attenuator on the DI

I read the Modified Hiface thread and saw how a RF Attenuator could reduce signal reflection/jitters. I felt for a small amount of money it may worth a try as it is cheaper than many coaxle cable upgrade anyway.

So I bought this 10db attenuator from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110663564870&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123 and try it on the DI

I tried looking for a 75ohm impedance version but couldn't get anything cheap. Then I did some research on wiki and they were suggesting the 50ohm/75ohm difference is negligible under 1MHz. So I bought the 50ohm version.

I put it between the DI, Audio-gd BNC cable and the NFB-1. The playback seems just a little, little bit more focus and "softer". I can't tell if it is placebo effect. But one thing I can confirm is the RF attenuator seems to eliminate the occasional drop out completely, even when I rock my notebook during playback, there is still no dropout.

I think for the small amount of money, it's worth a try.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,823 of 4,156
Was it so that DI doesn't support 24bit 88,2khz files? I just now noticed that I can't play these files. I have like five albums on this format.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,824 of 4,156

Quote:
Was it so that DI doesn't support 24bit 88,2khz files? I just now noticed that I can't play these files. I have like five albums on this format.

The Tenor TE7022 usb converter products do not support 88.2KHz files , as far as I know from reading reviews and googling.  I believe the M2Tech HiFace in your signature does though.

Cheers,

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #1,825 of 4,156
I've forgot to change my signature, DI + PSU is my primary source now. It just sounds better. Too bad that it doesn't support 88,2khz though. By the way has anyone compared this to the Audiophileo 1 or 2?

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #1,826 of 4,156
DI can certainly support 24bit 88.2khz files if you change the output of Foobar2k to be ASIO. Just in case, if you don't have an ASIO driver, you can use the following one.

http://cid-1eb7027489224a7d.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Teralink-X2%20ASIO%20driver%20%5E50.9%20beta%5E6

I have quite a few albums of Linn Records in 24bit 88.2khz format. DI plays them very well.

Quote:
I've forgot to change my signature, DI + PSU is my primary source now. It just sounds better. Too bad that it doesn't support 88,2khz though. By the way has anyone compared this to the Audiophileo 1 or 2?

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #1,827 of 4,156

Quote:
DI can certainly support 24bit 88.2khz files if you change the output of Foobar2k to be ASIO. Just in case, if you don't have an ASIO driver, you can use the following one.

http://cid-1eb7027489224a7d.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Teralink-X2%20ASIO%20driver%20%5E50.9%20beta%5E6

I have quite a few albums of Linn Records in 24bit 88.2khz format. DI plays them very well.

Quote:

Well there you go then...  I don't have any 88.2 files to even try anyway, I don't even know how to aquire them.  I did try those drivers for the Teralink X2 you linked too , they caused my video screen to go completely black when I tried to play a MP3 in foobar, had to push reset button and unistall them.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #1,828 of 4,156

Quote:
Because if you set it to 24/96 and you're not bypassing the windows mixer with something like WASAPI, it will upsample everything to 24/96 before being output.

Not to beat a dead horse here but my question is- if my on-board audio devices are all disabled (in device manager), how can the computer upsample? Don't the sound cards do that?

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #1,829 of 4,156
I just went to Linn Records and downloaded 24/88.2 test file , with asio4all I get:
Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (88200Hz); please configure resampler appropriately

I can't duplicate your claim since I haven't figured out a way yet to get the Teralink-X2 drivers to work , but since Teralink-X2 reviewers say it doesn't support 88.2KHz files either , I'm curious to know how you got it working.  Are you possibly re-sampling the 88.2MHz file before sending it to DI?  Is that possible with the X2-ASIO drivers?
Quote:

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back