Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,801 of 4,156
This is a nice little marketing write up, with just enough truth in it. Their overall argument is a bit flawed though, as they compare adaptive transfer+jitter cleaning to asynchronous transfer, throwing words around to hide the fact that jitter cleaning has to be added to the adaptive transfer while it's pretty much intrinsic to the asynchronous mode.

In an asynchronous transfer, your data is fed from the First In, First Out (FIFO) buffer into the DAC by a local clock. The level of jitter of that clock is all the jitter you'll ever get at the DAC. The irregularities in USB transfer do not matter since the packets are stored in the buffer and only get out when asked to by a derivative of the local clock. Obviously, you want to keep the buffer small for budgetary reasons so there is a feedback mechanism provided for by the USB specifications, which allows the sink to adjust the source's sending frequency.

In an adaptive USB transfer, you have no possibility to control the source's sending frequency. So you must find another system to keep your small FIFO buffer neither empty nor full while feeding the DAC with a constant clock. In practice, you must generate the clock that will empty the buffer in relation with (and thus on the basis of) the timing of the incoming packets. The problem is to generate a perfectly clean clock out of a jittery flow of packets.

Actually, there are indeed very good ways to clean up jitter and to generate such clean clock, it's been done for a while for spdif. I don't feel bad using adaptive receivers and a good adaptive implementation could beat a bad asynchronous one. But, conceptually, the asynchronous method is still arguably superior as it doesn't require an extra layer of jitter cleaning.

Quote:

Just came across this little write-up while i was doing some research on this awesome product i bought a while ago as my portable solution for now and thought it might be interesting especially to those who are somewhat disappointed that asynchronous USB transfer isn't implemented in the Audio-GD range.

The product in question is the DACport and information is extracted directly from www.centrance.com. The makers of the DACPort are credible members of the hifi community and have licensed their USB implementations know-how to many prominent high-end audio manufacturers. 

So in the same fashion as people are only/more concerned with the actual DAC chip used and not actual onboard implementation of the DAC as a whole, people who feel they might be missing out just because their DACs are implemented with asynchronous USB transfer should rethink their stand.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #1,802 of 4,156
Very nice post 00940. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm trying to decide the DI, the Evo, and Mk2. Not crazy about having to pay a large premium for the latter two and still having to upgrade to nicer psu's later. At the same time, I don't want to skimp on a long-term solution :xf_eek:.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #1,804 of 4,156
Reading this shootout review helped convince me to buy the Audio-gd DI , the original HiFace has slightly fallen from grace around here when they changed to small clocks and it changed the sound flavor.

http://www.tweak-fi.com/apps/blog/show/5029064-the-usb-to-spdif-shoot-out-review-part-2-teralink-x2-vs-jkeny-s-modified-hiface-vs-audio-gd-digital-interface

Quote:
Does anyone own both the original HiFace and Audio-gd DI? What are the differences in SQ? Is the DI a move forward or sideways from the HiFace?
Thank you.

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,805 of 4,156
Quote:
Reading this shootout review helped convince me to buy the Audio-gd DI , the original HiFace has slightly fallen from grace around here when they changed to small clocks and it changed the sound flavor

And then they went back to the original clocks and raised the price of the Hiface... dirty bait-and-switch move on their part. I have said a few times that I much, much prefer the digital interface to the hiface; there was pretty much zero improvement with the hiface.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,806 of 4,156
Im waiting for DI with PSU - had luck to buy from guy in my country. You said that theres option of upgrading clock. What kind of clock is in it as standard? Does that clock would be an improvement?:

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Valab-1PPM-24-5760-MHz-Low-Jitter-Precision-TCXO-/270715123067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f07e0f57b

is it correct one?

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,808 of 4,156
so what is original clock that it needs to be upgraded?
on audio gd site they say working volateg is 3.3V and on valab site is 5V. no worries about that?
on ebay there are also some vanguard golden clock with ppm at 0.3 but not at exact frequency. What is most importnat for clock to DI then? im newbie in such things:)

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,809 of 4,156

Quote:
so what is original clock that it needs to be upgraded?
on audio gd site they say working volateg is 3.3V and on valab site is 5V. no worries about that?
on ebay there are also some vanguard golden clock with ppm at 0.3 but not at exact frequency. What is most importnat for clock to DI then? im newbie in such things:)

Oh oops my bad, you need 24.5760MHz and 3.3V for it to work, unless you email Kingwa and he says otherwise. Some people are using the Tentlabs XO (?) as an alternative to the audio-gd one. The audio-gd one is also 0.3ppm like the vanguard golden clock so buying it straight from Audio-GD may be your best bet.

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #1,811 of 4,156
Super helpful review, thanks for posting! He seemed fair and unbiased. Very positive review to compare it so favorably to the higher priced options.

Quote:
Reading this shootout review helped convince me to buy the Audio-gd DI , the original HiFace has slightly fallen from grace around here when they changed to small clocks and it changed the sound flavor.

http://www.tweak-fi.com/apps/blog/show/5029064-the-usb-to-spdif-shoot-out-review-part-2-teralink-x2-vs-jkeny-s-modified-hiface-vs-audio-gd-digital-interface

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #1,812 of 4,156
Hello knowledgable headfiers,

Short Version:
My DI has a lot of electical buzz coming though, anyone else found this?

Long Version:
I've had the DI for around 2 weeks now, probably has 20 hours of use so far, it has relpaced a Musiland Monitor 01 USB. I'm finding the DI passes through a lot of electical noise from my PC. With Headphones on and between tracks playing I get screechy noises when I move the mouse, hard drive transfers and just background hum. The amp is set at a reasonable volume, but not blowing my ears out. When I swap back to the Musiland it is dead quiet (same cables, usb port etc).

I've checked the following:
USB port is not sharing hub controller with anything else.
Different USB ports,
Different USB cable.
Sending system sounds to muted onboard speaker.
Unfortunatly I can't find a separate electrical circuit to plug it in (well, tried some different points anyway)
I'm going to find someone elses system to test with.
I've yet to contact Audio-gd, I just want to make sure its not me or my setup first.

My setup:
HP SFF PC / Windows 7 / J.River -> MHDT USB Cable -> Audio-gd DI -> Rose Voix DG-1 Coax -> MHDT Havana -> Cord Crimson IC's -> Cyrus 8vs2 Amp

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,813 of 4,156
Hello knowledgable headfiers,

Short Version:
My DI has a lot of electical buzz coming though, anyone else found this?

Long Version:
I've had the DI for around 2 weeks now, probably has 20 hours of use so far, it has relpaced a Musiland Monitor 01 USB. I'm finding the DI passes through a lot of electical noise from my PC. With Headphones on and between tracks playing I get screechy noises when I move the mouse, hard drive transfers and just background hum. The amp is set at a reasonable volume, but not blowing my ears out. When I swap back to the Musiland it is dead quiet (same cables, usb port etc).

I've checked the following:
USB port is not sharing hub controller with anything else.
Different USB ports,
Different USB cable.
Sending system sounds to muted onboard speaker.
Unfortunatly I can't find a separate electrical circuit to plug it in (well, tried some different points anyway)
I'm going to find someone elses system to test with.
I've yet to contact Audio-gd, I just want to make sure its not me or my setup first.

My setup:
HP SFF PC / Windows 7 / J.River -> MHDT USB Cable -> Audio-gd DI -> Rose Voix DG-1 Coax -> MHDT Havana -> Cord Crimson IC's -> Cyrus 8vs2 Amp

Any thoughts appreciated.

pretty sure you have a ground loop problem. Try it with another pc, and try it on batter if it's a laptop.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,814 of 4,156
Yeah, probably a ground loop is causing the background hum. However, the fact that it's making sounds when you move your mouse and such around though sounds like some other problem, try on another computer as suggested above to see if it still happens. I would contact Kingwa if the other computer also has the problem, otherwise it could be something wrong with your computer (maybe a noisy laptop power supply?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back