Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 28, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #1,786 of 4,156

It's adaptive and was just posted like a week ago. This discussion does not need to be repeated.

Ah, thanks. Well, you'll forgive me for not wanting to sift through 120 pages? As for the bit about 'This discussion does not need to be repeated.' we'll be the judge of that. If people keep asking it, maybe ADG should phrase it a bit better on their site. Having said that, Kingwa has replied to me saying it wasn't async as well :) but that it does do reclocking ... wonder how/at what stage that's done if adaptive drops extra or interpolates samples in. need to RTM more :D

>The USB isn't async as far as I know. The DSP3 is. It just isn't clearly worded on the web page that when he is talking about the "asynchronous process" that he is only talking about the DSP3.

I see, thanks Currawong.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #1,787 of 4,156
Damn this tentlabs clock is no small upgrade. Better imaging and the highs are very smooth, liquid like on tube gear in fact everything sounds very effortless. Just more musical in every sense and the clock still has to burnin so it should only get better.... enough typing the music demands my attention!

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,788 of 4,156
For those interested, I've emailed Audio-gd about upsampling parameters :

Hello,
I have received the upgrade clock for the DI, but I found confusing informations about upsampling values. There has been two pictures from Audio-gd to indicate what setting to choose on the jumpers, and both don't say the same thing.
This one, on the website says for 96KHz upsampling : NO-C jumper ON, MMD0 OFF, MMD1 ON.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/DSP3.JPG
This one says : NO-C jumper ON but MMD0 ON, MMD1 OFF.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/USB9.jpg

So which setting to choose for 96KHz upsampling? MMD0 ON and MMD1 OFF, or MMD0 OFF and MMD1 ON ?

Regards

Reply :

If you want to setting the DSP-3 96K umsampling,that you need to choice:NOC----On and MMD1----On that is OK
Edwin

Bottom line : previously here we were saying the 96KHz upsampling is ON with MMD0 and NO-C while it's MMD1 and NO-C.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #1,789 of 4,156

Quote:
For those interested, I've emailed Audio-gd about upsampling parameters :

Hello,
I have received the upgrade clock for the DI, but I found confusing informations about upsampling values. There has been two pictures from Audio-gd to indicate what setting to choose on the jumpers, and both don't say the same thing.
This one, on the website says for 96KHz upsampling : NO-C jumper ON, MMD0 OFF, MMD1 ON.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/DSP3.JPG
This one says : NO-C jumper ON but MMD0 ON, MMD1 OFF.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/USB9.jpg

So which setting to choose for 96KHz upsampling? MMD0 ON and MMD1 OFF, or MMD0 OFF and MMD1 ON ?

Regards

Reply :

If you want to setting the DSP-3 96K umsampling,that you need to choice:NOC----On and MMD1----On that is OK
Edwin

Bottom line : previously here we were saying the 96KHz upsampling is ON with MMD0 and NO-C while it's MMD1 and NO-C.

The first picture is using jumpers and the second is using DIP switches. Just use the one you have, the jumpers are what they use now so just ignore the other one if you don't have it.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #1,790 of 4,156
The DIP switches are equivalent to the jumpers, and they should work in the same way. Otherwise there's no logic and there's a problem here :

For example for NO-C :
jumper ON = DIP to 0

for 96KHz :
jumper OFF = MMD0 to 0

Otherwise, I have a weird "bzzz" in deep bass when upsampling at 96KHz (MMD1 + NO-C), on different kind of records and bass. I don't know if my clock is defective or something...?

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,791 of 4,156
It shouldn´t matter if you are using the jumper or switch version - the settings should be the same on both. If it weren´t why would Edwin answer like that? To me it is clear from Edwins answer that the http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/USB9.jpg picture is then wrong.

Pacha: thanks for posting, it looks like the majority of us are in fact using 64 upsampling when we think we are using 96!

edit: I´ll try the 96 mode and see if I get the same buzz you described...

edit: no buzz... 96 mode works with REF7.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,792 of 4,156

Quote:
The DIP switches are equivalent to the jumpers, and they should work in the same way. Otherwise there's no logic and there's a problem here :

For example for NO-C :
jumper ON = DIP to 0

for 96KHz :
jumper OFF = MMD0 to 0

Otherwise, I have a weird "bzzz" in deep bass when upsampling at 96KHz (MMD1 + NO-C), on different kind of records and bass. I don't know if my clock is defective or something...?

Ahh my bad, I just figured it was configured differently when they were still using the switches. Though I guess it wouldn't make sense that they would change it....

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #1,793 of 4,156

Quote:
I would be quite interested in a comparison between the tentlabs and the audio-gd clock. I'm somewhat skeptical when others with clock upgrades (including me) report subtle differences in the same areas.

Well i went from non oversampling to 96khz with the tentlabs and the difference is quite big. I wanted to go for a maximum contrast so to say, having done some A/B testing and i stand by my conclusion. Take that for what's it's worth i'll just enjoy the music.

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,794 of 4,156
Are you using the "XO" or the "VCXO" clock from Tentlabs? If it's the VCXO maybe it is that much better but it's also much more expensive. Could you provide some comparisons to the stock clock + 96khz vs Tentlabs + 96khz? The upsampling does cause quite a change in the "smoothness" of the sound by itself.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #1,795 of 4,156
Has anyone here that noticed big changes using upsampling noticed it with the USB connection ?  I don't notice any difference with upsampling on or off , I also noticed that 64K - NO-C=on , MMDO=on doesn't work at all , I just get silence with a click about every three seconds.  All other upsampling jumper settings give me sound , but no noticable change.

Anybody here get 64K setting to work with USB ?

I'm using DI ver.A , TCXO upgrade with no psu , USB cable , connected to NFB12 with AGD canare coaxial cable , winXP , foobar , asio4all.

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #1,796 of 4,156
Guys, do the base of your TCXO clock touch the top of the socket? Mine does not and I don't know if the feet are too long or if the red rectangular thing just beside the clock block it a bit. I pushed it in the socket as much as I could and it seems that the feet of the clock are too long to touch the top of the socket.

I'm trying to find an explanation for the buzz in the bass. I emailed audio-gd.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #1,797 of 4,156
Can you compare that digital interface to trends audio ud10 or its another league? Trends audio doesnt support high res files but is it worth changing comparing to rest? i havent found any comparision between these two converters. Is changing converters noticeable change in sound or its only slight change? rest of my system is dac on PCM1796-matrix m stage-beyers dt880pro. thanks for answer

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #1,798 of 4,156
Can you compare that digital interface to trends audio ud10 or its another league?

The UD10 is using PCM2704 off a SMPS wallwart: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/Trends-Audio-UD-10-1-USB-Audio-Converter-Review

The DI will most likely trounce it, especially in combination w/ the external PSU :wink:

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #1,799 of 4,156
I want to buy cheapest version with USB only. connected to PC by USB and to DAC by BNC most likely. PCM allows to listen high res files. Does that mean Ill be allowed to listen to it? Would it be improvement for listening also 44.1 music files? Many tests say that its much better than any other converter and similiar to jkeny mod hiface. I still dont know what to expect by changing Trends Audio to DI. Maybe someone listen both and can give helping hand:) i dont want to waste money too much:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back