Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 27, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #1,771 of 4,156

Quote:
you'd probably have to go and 'complain' on a forum the main contributors to the repo hang out (if any). Generally it's either convincing them that it's good to put the changes on the TODO or FIXME list, or DIY
biggrin.gif

Hahah i will do nothing of the sort those software mixer's be damned! 
atsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #1,772 of 4,156
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546092/confirming-whether-your-dac-is-asynchronous-as-claimed-or-not#post_7366070 in light of that I'm doubly as curious for someone to follow the procedure in the top post there and post the DI log. If DI uses TE7022L like 160D and NFB-10WM then it quite likely can't be asynchronous despite being claimed to be. Someone, please post the log from it.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #1,773 of 4,156
I just placed an order for version A to pair with my NFB-10ES. I presume the USB power (i.e., my computer) needs to be ON when using the coax-in. Is the USB sufficient to power for coax-in use, or is external supply recommended for version A's? 

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #1,777 of 4,156
Picked up my DI + PSU earlier today and came here to agree with the hype.
Since I don't have my own dac ready (Buffalo-II) I went to my friend's who owns a V800 dac>BCL>beyer T1
We compared the usb input of the V800 to the DI.
The result favored heavily towards the DI, but that most can deduce from this thread.

More interesting for you is the benefit of the PSU and I can strengthen those claims.
With the PSU the sound is clearer, less harsh. There is an added sense of depth to the soundstage. In addition minute details are better obtained by ear.
Definitely worth the 75$.

Mar 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,778 of 4,156
One more report... Got my PSU and clock upgrade for my DI last week. I agree with the general opinion on the PSU upgrade: it´s worth it. Very nice boost for 75 dollars. Right now I´m testing the clock upgrade with 96kHz upsampling mode being fed into a REF7. It seems to move the sound a bit further from the listener, I´d compare it to applying a small amount of anti-aliasing to an image. It´s clearly smoother and less "strict", but beautifully natural and organic. The bass and vocals in particular sound even more effortless than before, with absolutely zero fatigue. For now I´m keeping the upsampling mode enabled, I like the effect it has. For 20 dollars definately worth a try at least. 

It´s awesome the DI has modular parts like the clock! Oh and I also own the M2 HiFace and I felt the Digital Interface was superior without the PSU and clock upgrade already. But the difference wasn´t huge, now it is.

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,782 of 4,156
Why not just use a 6v SLA battery?  Far better than any PSU!

Provided the battery has enough current capability (and a lead-acid battery certainly should), it should be able to handle dynamic power demands as well as something that can draw on the AC mains supply, or a USB 500-ma. 5-vdc power line. But I don't know if the battery's lack of regulation might make a difference. The Jaemeco-distributed linear regulated supplies have an IC chip to keep the voltage constant whatever momentary load the DI circuit may present to the power supply.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,783 of 4,156

Quote:
Darn it, guys. I wasn't going to order the PSU, but it appears that there's enough consensus that the improvement is worth the price, so why not 
dt880smile.png

As I said a long while back in this thread, if you wanted to build a linear supply for the DI you couldn't get the parts (just the traffo and stuffed psu board) for less than $75, let alone the finished product. It's a screaming bargain at 75.00 USD IMO. I usually order my linear supply kits from Hand Made Electronics in the US...none of the kits they have are under 100USD (unfortunately)...looking on line at various suppliers the lowest I could find cost wise for the whole package came to somewhere in the 200USD range (which includes the chassis / IEC / DC jack and internal wiring, power switch assembly etc) and that doesn't include labor assembly cost (if you weren't planning a DIY build). I have also used Kingwa's older PSU DIY part in the KHA Amp build (The Jaycar amp) to great effect. His latest DIY PSU is a upgrade of his older design (less tricky to setup).

A quality linear PSU should always better the end result (as long as the PSU is a quality built well proven design). Kingy's PSU designs are superb IMO. Even this little device for the DI although basic is well thought out  and well built using HQ parts. It's as close to a no brainer as you can get IMO.

Peete.

PS: Kingwa suggests 7V DC min IIRC for the DI.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,784 of 4,156

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546092/confirming-whether-your-dac-is-asynchronous-as-claimed-or-not#post_7366070 in light of that I'm doubly as curious for someone to follow the procedure in the top post there and post the DI log. If DI uses TE7022L like 160D and NFB-10WM then it quite likely can't be asynchronous despite being claimed to be. Someone, please post the log from it.

The USB isn't async as far as I know. The DSP3 is. It just isn't clearly worded on the web page that when he is talking about the "asynchronous process" that he is only talking about the DSP3.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #1,785 of 4,156

Quote: I just want to note that the DI PSU is class A as well, even more of a bargain.

Quote:
The USB isn't async as far as I know. The DSP3 is. It just isn't clearly worded on the web page that when he is talking about the "asynchronous process" that he is only talking about the DSP3.

It's adaptive and was just posted like a week ago. This discussion does not need to be repeated.
Edit: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/500369/audio-gd-digital-interface/1710#post_7348463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back