Audio-gd Digital Interface
Dec 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #1,096 of 4,156
Got my DI yesterday. Using a REF5 DSP1. Figures why not try the DSP3. I also bought the ClassA power supply for the DI. Definitely a noticeable and appreciated difference going from USB power to the power supply. Overall I dont hear a real big difference from just the DAC without the DI but the bass is better and the bass is much better with the power supply than with just USB power. Have not listened enough to comment more than that. 
Uriah

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #1,097 of 4,156

Quote:
I don't have Teralink-X anymore so I can only answer from memory.

I have quickly compared DLIII onboard USB input and Teralink-X USB input, but did not find significant change of SQ.  But switch from DLIII USB to DI, there was quite dramatic change to me.  The main change was the removal of sonic mist and much clean and clear imaging.  The notes are also more solid and denser.

On the other hand, when I mated Ref-1 with Teralink-X or DI.  The improvement is again more on the better imaging and solidified notes and impact.  However, Ref-1 sound clean with no mist at all with either Teralink-X or DI.  It seems that Ref-1's DSP (V3) already provides some immunity to certain detrimental effect at upper stream.

So I speculated that DI might help even more with lesser DAC.

Are both your dacs upsampling DACs?

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,098 of 4,156
If you use the coaxial input of the DI from a sound card, does this mean it would use the drivers from your sound card and not have any need for the DI's drivers? Does using coaxial input still provide galvanic isolation but not asyncronous usb since its not using the USB input? Anyone using this setup? sound card -> DI coaxial intput only + external PSU -> DAC -> headphone amp -> headphone?

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #1,099 of 4,156
Quote:
Just to comment on DI not properly recognized by OS issue.

If you are using Ref-1/7 with DSP-1, then this problem may be more complex.

My experience seems to sort out an unfailing procedure (yet):

Initial state (always the case when I switch from office to home):
* DI unplug to computer, everything OFF

1. turn on DI, and then Ref-1/7 (since DSP-1 does not like no digital input)
2. wait a few seconds (<10s) for DSP-1 and DI to "align" their signal (my guess)
3. plug in DI to computer's USB

If I don't follow this process, sometimes DI was not recognized by OS properly.

Also, if I change the jumper setting, my Win 7 tends to go "crazy" and change the Audio Device setting (or maybe DI did so, such as change volume to zero or only turn down one channel.  But things will settle down after I manually correct a few times.  Hence, I am not too fond of changing jumpers. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Quote:
I have found that if you leave the DI on and boot your computer up (powering the DI), it's hit and miss as to whether the DI will allow sound, even if it's seen in your Control Panel.
You must power the DI on after boot-up for it to work 100% of the time. This is Vista 32 bit.

Mine is quite often not recognized any more if I shut external PSU down then power on again with 7 x64 (understand no device found in audio control panel). I need several on/off cycles sometimes letting the things rest for around 10 seconds before powering on again. But that's only an issue when switching it on/off for tests purposes, otherwise I let it on all the time as well as the rest of my rig, computer included so no trouble here.

My workaround is even easier : when everything stops responding or when you loose DI in the control panel : shut down DI's external PSU (well ok, if you have one), wait 10s, power it back on, wait another 10s, and you're done. While you still have unrecognized device, proceed the same way and you end up having it fixed by 3/4 shutdowns at the max.

Other issue now for me : after getting sorted of this kind of problem or having crashed WASAPI plugin, I have channel imbalance or channels get reversed. Above method fix the problem though, but it's sometimes pretty annoying.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #1,101 of 4,156
Does everyone use the DI on the front USB of their motherboard? I found using my mouse and keyboard on the front USB makes them less glitchy compared to the back panel usb ports. Not sure if the front USB is 2.0 compliant. I guess if the DI is already powered on and the computer isn't then when it does power on it won't recognize it so you may have to unplug it from the usb port then back in.

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #1,102 of 4,156

Quote:
If you use the coaxial input of the DI from a sound card, does this mean it would use the drivers from your sound card and not have any need for the DI's drivers? Does using coaxial input still provide galvanic isolation but not asyncronous usb since its not using the USB input? Anyone using this setup? sound card -> DI coaxial intput only + external PSU -> DAC -> headphone amp -> headphone?

USB devices require drivers. A regular digital connection, which coax and optical are, have nothing to do with drivers as they are carrying the raw digital signal only.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #1,106 of 4,156
Recieved my DI about a week ago. A couple of questions and concerns. I'm using this between a Macbook Pro and an Audio-GD Dac19. I've read this thread trying to find answers, but did not see anything that applied to my situation. I've been waiting for 4 days for a reply from Audio-GD.

SQ seems to drop considerably when using the DI. Highs become brash, drums lose body, etc. My $3 Monoprice optical cable sounds much better than the DI. I opened it up to play with DIP switches, to maybe find a setting that worked only to find my unit does not have them.

Also, I've found that the laptop's volume slider is not bypassed when using the DI, but it is when I connect the DAC19 by USB or optical. I have the settings in Audio/MIDI panel at 24/48. This is the only setting that produces sound.

Is there something I'm overlooking here? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,107 of 4,156
Kingwa replace the dip switches with jumpers (see all those pins to the right where the dip switch used to be), hence why he shipped it to you with a bad of little black jumper connectors. see here for the settings

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/USB9.jpg

BUT I admit its confusing, since there are no jumpers it seems the default is to not upsample but I don't know for sure

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #1,108 of 4,156
OK, I've messed with jumpers a little bit. Verdict is still out on SQ improvements with different configurations.

I've discovered I can only get the DI to output sound when Audio/MIDI control panel is set to 16/96 or 24/48. Why can't I set 24/96?

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #1,109 of 4,156
Can someone pls update on the first page the best driver with the download links to use with the DI and jumper settings for upsampling? It will make life easier for many DI users.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #1,110 of 4,156

I was told by KingWa that there are some discussion about how to set up upsampling in the Audio-gd DI. But just go through this thread very quickly, did not find anything.

Can some one point me out the exact place where the tutorial is ?

Great thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back