Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #1,036 of 4,156

Quote:
I also found the DI (slightly) better than battery powered Hiface (jkeny's Hiface) which is already a big step up from the stock Hiface.

I was able to use the Digital Interface with USB2ISO (ADUM) isolator but the improvement was small (baurely noticeable) in comparison with what the USB2ISO isolator brought to the Musiland Monitor and Teralink X2.

On the other hand, upgrading the stock clock with a 1ps Tentlabs XO provide a noticeable improvement (more natural sound and better flow of the music amongst other things).
According to Kingwa, the clock works only when the upsampling is engaged (which I use). I have chatted a little bit with Kingwa regarding the upsampling and we share similar findings (i.e upsampling makes an improvement). I know that some "purists" look down at upsampling but the same could be said for oversampling used in most DACs. Once we depart from NOS (non oversampling), I personally don't care about what kind of processing is done as long as it sounds good.
I have also compared a few (same) tracks at 16/44 and 24/96 bought from HD Tracks and Linn Records and the upsampling on the DI is the one that gets the 16/44 files sound closer to the 24/96 native files. I tried different software upsampler (SoX, Secret Rabitt cods, PPHS...) and none of them comes close to the upsampling on the DI which is rather surprising since in theory the software upsamplers have the advantage of dealing with stored data while the DI has to deal with real time (jittery) data. It has perhaps to do something with the clocking being better at 96K than it is at 44.1K.
BTW, using a good clock such the Tentlabs should yield better results especially for those who don't use any power filtration (better clocks usually buy you better power supply noise rejection and better clock phase noise).

Power wise, is the external PSU better than ADuM power?

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #1,037 of 4,156
Dec 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #1,038 of 4,156
I've just received my DI with PSU, but cannot play mp3 files nor 24 bits files in Winamp with KS. 16 bits Flac files play normally though.

I've installed Teralink X2 drivers and ASIO and everything works, I cannot change volume with Winamp but I can play files in 88.2KHz and also I can hear other apps and internet sounds so I'm not in bitperfect exclusive mode!

What could I do??

EDIT : I've installed ASIO4ALL and everything is fine, I can play any file except 88.2 which is normal as the Tenor chip doesn't handle it.

Now time to let the DI burn-in, and see after what does the PSU bring to the party.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,039 of 4,156

Quote:

Quote:
I also found the DI (slightly) better than battery powered Hiface (jkeny's Hiface) which is already a big step up from the stock Hiface.

I was able to use the Digital Interface with USB2ISO (ADUM) isolator but the improvement was small (baurely noticeable) in comparison with what the USB2ISO isolator brought to the Musiland Monitor and Teralink X2.

On the other hand, upgrading the stock clock with a 1ps Tentlabs XO provide a noticeable improvement (more natural sound and better flow of the music amongst other things).
According to Kingwa, the clock works only when the upsampling is engaged (which I use). I have chatted a little bit with Kingwa regarding the upsampling and we share similar findings (i.e upsampling makes an improvement). I know that some "purists" look down at upsampling but the same could be said for oversampling used in most DACs. Once we depart from NOS (non oversampling), I personally don't care about what kind of processing is done as long as it sounds good.
I have also compared a few (same) tracks at 16/44 and 24/96 bought from HD Tracks and Linn Records and the upsampling on the DI is the one that gets the 16/44 files sound closer to the 24/96 native files. I tried different software upsampler (SoX, Secret Rabitt cods, PPHS...) and none of them comes close to the upsampling on the DI which is rather surprising since in theory the software upsamplers have the advantage of dealing with stored data while the DI has to deal with real time (jittery) data. It has perhaps to do something with the clocking being better at 96K than it is at 44.1K.
BTW, using a good clock such the Tentlabs should yield better results especially for those who don't use any power filtration (better clocks usually buy you better power supply noise rejection and better clock phase noise).

Power wise, is the external PSU better than ADuM power?

In my system the external PSU (plugged to a BADA power filter) provided a bigger improvement than the use of the ADUM. But it all comes down to how noisy the ground of the computer is vs. whatever you are supplying to the DI: it is very hard to make grand generalizations IMO.
BTW, I went into what devices benefited more from the ADUM in my review here.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #1,040 of 4,156

Quote:
I've just received my DI with PSU, but cannot play mp3 files nor 24 bits files in Winamp with KS. 16 bits Flac files play normally though.

I've installed Teralink X2 drivers and ASIO and everything works, I cannot change volume with Winamp but I can play files in 88.2KHz and also I can hear other apps and internet sounds so I'm not in bitperfect exclusive mode!

What could I do??

EDIT : I've installed ASIO4ALL and everything is fine, I can play any file except 88.2 which is normal as the Tenor chip doesn't handle it.

Now time to let the DI burn-in, and see after what does the PSU bring to the party.

BTW, whenever 88.2 files seem to be playing with a Tenor base usb converter (Teralink X2, DI...), it just means that there is software upsampling going on, and it is usually converted to 96.
I personally found that by using SoX upsampling on 88.2 files, I get better results than letting the "stock" upsampling doing its work.

I really hope that at some points there will be a chip that allows for 88.2K. So far, it is my biggest complaint about the DI.

Regarding burn-in, I would allow the DI to burn-in for around a week. It improves considerably during that period. Also, even after weeks of use, I find that the Digital Interface benefits from being always left on.
I know that some people don't like/recommend leaving equipment always on but I have found that both the Digital Interface and the dac19dsp sounds considerably better after being left continuously on for 1 to 2 days. I don't hear the same improvement with warm up with the headphone amps and the FUN. So I am suspecting it might have something to do with the DSP boards.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #1,041 of 4,156
Quote:
Quote:

What could I do??

BTW, whenever 88.2 files seem to be playing with a Tenor base usb converter (Teralink X2, DI...), it just means that there is software upsampling going on, and it is usually converted to 96.
I personally found that by using SoX upsampling on 88.2 files, I get better results than letting the "stock" upsampling doing its work.

I really hope that at some points there will be a chip that allows for 88.2K. So far, it is my biggest complaint about the DI.

Regarding burn-in, I would allow the DI to burn-in for around a week. It improves considerably during that period. Also, even after weeks of use, I find that the Digital Interface benefits from being always left on.
I know that some people don't like/recommend leaving equipment always on but I have found that both the Digital Interface and the dac19dsp sounds considerably better after being left continuously on for 1 to 2 days. I don't hear the same improvement with warm up with the headphone amps and the FUN. So I am suspecting it might have something to do with the DSP boards.

I personally let the DAC-19 and the C2 always on, and I will let the DI always on also.
My setup is now a bit weird looking because of the use of the RCA adapter between DI and DAC-19. The jkeny HiFace wasn't that big and fitted behind the DAC quite well but now the bigger DI plugged in reverse side leaning over the ACSS cable just beneath and PSU next to it makes the whole thing to look a bit oddly tweaked but it doesn't matter.
I will let it enough time to burn-in but so far I've already found the soundstage to be bigger than the HiFace, and PSU to bring an obvious difference even if currently not plugged to a power filter (it will be within the next few days).
I've directly set the upsampling to 96K with jumper on the 3rd position on MMD0 (I hope I was correct with the placement).
I'll see how does it compare to stock settings after the DI gets more settled in.

Do you use SoX upsampling only to play the 88.2 files or also all other files?

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #1,042 of 4,156

Quote:
In my system the external PSU (plugged to a BADA power filter) provided a bigger improvement than the use of the ADUM. But it all comes down to how noisy the ground of the computer is vs. whatever you are supplying to the DI: it is very hard to make grand generalizations IMO.
BTW, I went into what devices benefited more from the ADUM in my review here.

Thanks for that link and a thorough review.

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #1,043 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

I personally let the DAC-19 and the C2 always on, and I will let the DI always on also.
My setup is now a bit weird looking because of the use of the RCA adapter between DI and DAC-19. The jkeny HiFace wasn't that big and fitted behind the DAC quite well but now the bigger DI plugged in reverse side leaning over the ACSS cable just beneath and PSU next to it makes the whole thing to look a bit oddly tweaked but it doesn't matter.
I will let it enough time to burn-in but so far I've already found the soundstage to be bigger than the HiFace, and PSU to bring an obvious difference even if currently not plugged to a power filter (it will be within the next few days).
I've directly set the upsampling to 96K with jumper on the 3rd position on MMD0 (I hope I was correct with the placement).
I'll see how does it compare to stock settings after the DI gets more settled in.

In order to get upsampling to 96K, I believe that you also need to have jumper number 6 (NO-C) set to 0.

Regarding SoX, I only use it for 88.2 files (thankfully most of my high rez files are 96). I don't use it for other files as I find that the DI upsampler is better, or that the files are better left at their native sample rate (when using jkeny's hiface) than using SoX.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #1,045 of 4,156
slim.a,

Which clock on the DI did you replace with the tentlabs XO? This seems like an interesting tweak. Is there any specific frequency to use for the replacement?

I was also going to rewire the internal wires from the BNC to the DI board with the Illuminati hookup cables.

Quote:

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #1,046 of 4,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..... I find that the Digital Interface benefits from being always left on.

But it should be noted that the Audio-gd power supply is meant to be turned off when not in use.

From the Audio-gd site:    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/Digital1EN.htm

[size=small]
jiantou.gif
[/size][size=small]  Digital Interface external power supply:

[/size][size=x-small]1, Connect the DC power cable between Digital Interface and the External power box.
     2, Push the power selector to "DC IN".
     3, Power on the power box.
     4, Because the External power box is work on Class A, so if it don't power supply for the Digital Interface, please shut down it.[/size]

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #1,047 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..... I find that the Digital Interface benefits from being always left on.

But it should be noted that the Audio-gd power supply is meant to be turned off when not in use.

From the Audio-gd site:    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USBface/Digital1EN.htm

[size=small]
jiantou.gif
[/size][size=small]  Digital Interface external power supply:

[/size][size=x-small]1, Connect the DC power cable between Digital Interface and the External power box.
     2, Push the power selector to "DC IN".
     3, Power on the power box.
     4, Because the External power box is work on Class A, so if it don't power supply for the Digital Interface, please shut down it.[/size]

Yes but it's if you power the DI through USB and connect the PSU I guess, you don't want the PSU to be left on if you use USB power. But I may be wrong.
Or maybe he forgot "need" in his sentence. If you don't need power for the DI, then shut everything off. That's maybe what he meant.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #1,048 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In order to get upsampling to 96K, I believe that you also need to have jumper number 6 (NO-C) set to 0.

Regarding SoX, I only use it for 88.2 files (thankfully most of my high rez files are 96). I don't use it for other files as I find that the DI upsampler is better, or that the files are better left at their native sample rate (when using jkeny's hiface) than using SoX.

Oh you're right, I totally missed that on the settings pic on the website, I'll try the setting today, thanks.

I'll also take a look at SoX to be able to read my 88.2 files, though not a big deal for me neither as I only have few of them.

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #1,049 of 4,156
Could anyone tell me what can I do to have bitperfect exclusive mode, really gapless, with the DI and Winamp?

- Winamp KS plugin with the DI only reads FLAC files in 16/44 (everything was fine with the HiFace).

- there are gaps between tracks with ASIO plugin and ASIO4ALL
- WASAPI plugin for Winamp : no gaps between tracks, exclusive mode is working (no sound with other apps or on web pages), and I can play any kind of file (even 88.2) with the DI, but that means the plugin is resampling.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #1,050 of 4,156
So far as some others here I prefer the bypass mode over 96KHz upsampling (MMD0 and NO-C jumpers on the pins).

I find the 96KHz to push everything backwards, creating a "hall" effect, pleasant on some recordings, but for the rest I find it to have less impact, less contrast, and possibly less focus. Details are still the same though in each mode.
In "Get Behind the Mule" on head-fi hdtracks 24/96 cd, I found the bypass mode to reveal the tone of the shoe taping the ground at the beginning better than the upsampling mode which rather let hear the impact but not easily the different strengths of impact and placement of the foot as in bypass mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back