Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #1,021 of 4,156
According to Kingwa, the USB cable doesn't have that much of an impact on the sound. However, the S/PDIF cable will have a greater impact.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #1,022 of 4,156

Quote:
You'd want a DI over anything else unless you'd want to spend a crap load of money.
If you're after great imaging and a neutral sound then this is what you need. It blows away in terms of SQ any soundcard that I used, the hiface and the hiface jkeny mod.
I don't need Dolby or any other phony gizmo feature so this is good for me.

DI is better than Hiface? Can it be powered using an ADuM4160 USB Isolator?

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #1,023 of 4,156

Quote:
I'll try if you tell me where to look.  I cannot find any data from device manager.
Quote:
I wonder if you could take a look at your Device manager and see how much power the DI draws.

FYI:   my computer > properties > hardware > device manager > universal serial bus controllers >  USB Root Hub (open each one to see where it is) > power

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,024 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
just wondering:

is there any reason someone who owns a high end soundcard, with proper coaxial out would want a DI?

I mean I can do oversampling, pass-through, up to 24/192, add digital effects like dolby...

Or is this only an alternative to a proper soundcard?

You'd want a DI over anything else unless you'd want to spend a crap load of money.
If you're after great imaging and a neutral sound then this is what you need. It blows away in terms of SQ any soundcard that I used, the hiface and the hiface jkeny mod.

I don't need dolby either, but it is just another "+"

also, I was referring to REAL soundcards, not hiface or any of those other usb to spdif converters. My soundcard is an Asus STX

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,025 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
just wondering:

is there any reason someone who owns a high end soundcard, with proper coaxial out would want a DI?

I mean I can do oversampling, pass-through, up to 24/192, add digital effects like dolby...

It blows away in terms of SQ any soundcard that I used, the hiface and the hiface jkeny mod.

I wish you were right, I've ordered my DI + PSU since 9th of november, and still no DI 20 days after. The parcel is lost in transit between China and France, tracking stop at leaving Guangzhou, and no parcel arrive to France though.
Who has hijacked my DI?
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #1,027 of 4,156

Quote:
just wondering:

It depends on your computer, but highend sound cards in a proper setup can be very good transports and even DACs. If you go to the extreme of configuring/modding your computer just for audio duties, you might be able to surpass the performance of any "exotic" USB converter. Checkout cPlay and cMP threads on Audio Asylum (thread: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=31286). On the other hand, using a USB converter is much easier to do.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #1,028 of 4,156
Quote:
Have you tried tracking through your local carrier vs. the Chinese site? In the US, our carrier tracking provides more info after it leaves China.

Yes I did, and there was no tracking available in France, it was said to be in China. I've called the local carrier yesterday and they told me they had no more info about that, except that there's a lot of problems with parcels coming from China at the moment.
Hopefully it finally arrived today to French international airport.

Now I have Furutech plugs coming from USA which experience the same problem. I called USPS for further info but they asked me to call the sender so that he calls USPS, in order they open an investigation. What a mess, I'm totally doomed.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #1,029 of 4,156

Quote:

Quote:

DI is better than Hiface? Can it be powered using an ADuM4160 USB Isolator?

I also found the DI (slightly) better than battery powered Hiface (jkeny's Hiface) which is already a big step up from the stock Hiface.

I was able to use the Digital Interface with USB2ISO (ADUM) isolator but the improvement was small (baurely noticeable) in comparison with what the USB2ISO isolator brought to the Musiland Monitor and Teralink X2.

On the other hand, upgrading the stock clock with a 1ps Tentlabs XO provide a noticeable improvement (more natural sound and better flow of the music amongst other things).
According to Kingwa, the clock works only when the upsampling is engaged (which I use). I have chatted a little bit with Kingwa regarding the upsampling and we share similar findings (i.e upsampling makes an improvement). I know that some "purists" look down at upsampling but the same could be said for oversampling used in most DACs. Once we depart from NOS (non oversampling), I personally don't care about what kind of processing is done as long as it sounds good.
I have also compared a few (same) tracks at 16/44 and 24/96 bought from HD Tracks and Linn Records and the upsampling on the DI is the one that gets the 16/44 files sound closer to the 24/96 native files. I tried different software upsampler (SoX, Secret Rabitt cods, PPHS...) and none of them comes close to the upsampling on the DI which is rather surprising since in theory the software upsamplers have the advantage of dealing with stored data while the DI has to deal with real time (jittery) data. It has perhaps to do something with the clocking being better at 96K than it is at 44.1K.
BTW, using a good clock such the Tentlabs should yield better results especially for those who don't use any power filtration (better clocks usually buy you better power supply noise rejection and better clock phase noise).

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,030 of 4,156
Yesterday my Digital Interface with external power supply arrived, replacing a hiFace BNC. Time between order and delivery was exactly 6 weeks.
Using the XP build in driver did not work using WinAMP and Kernel Streaming. After installing the TeraLink-X drivers, 16/44 and Kernel Streaming worked, but for 24/96 I have to use TeraLink ASIO (16/44 sounds awkward using ASIO).

I did not expect a dramatic improvement, but WOW this is huge.
The most important improvement are the highs. These are much more precise, not "rough" or sharp anymore. This really was the only complaint in my setup.
Also imaging is a lot better.

That's it, I'm finished now, audio Nirvana at last. 
atsmile.gif

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #1,032 of 4,156

Quote:
Yesterday my Digital Interface with external power supply arrived, replacing a hiFace BNC. Time between order and delivery was exactly 6 weeks.
Using the XP build in driver did not work using WinAMP and Kernel Streaming. After installing the TeraLink-X drivers, 16/44 and Kernel Streaming worked, but for 24/96 I have to use TeraLink ASIO (16/44 sounds awkward using ASIO).

The most important improvement are the highs. These are much more precise, not "rough" or sharp anymore. This really was the only complaint in my setup.

I wasnt expecting much of a difference when i first got it as one of the beta testers.  It was heaps better than my old Hiface BNC. Like you, i noticed improvements to the soundstage, much wider, highs were more textured with lots of decay. Bass was much tighter and had better definition. On my setup, the Hiface exibited more lower mid bass bloat, which i didnt like.  But with the DI + class A PSU, that midbass bloat dissapeared.  I'm also using it with my disc spinner (OPPO 83SE) via coax out, and i'm hearing the above improvements routing the digital signal via the DI.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #1,033 of 4,156
Nov 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,034 of 4,156

Quote:

That's it, I'm finished now, audio Nirvana at last. 
atsmile.gif

That's a long wait. They don't have them in stock?

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,035 of 4,156
Kingwa told me they are made "by batch". Maybe when you order now, there is stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back