Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #978 of 4,156

Quote:
That's not what I meant, and not sure that is technically possible. I meant music sounds a touch more in focus/real. Emphasis on "a touch".

lol I know I am just "yanking your chain".

Supposedly the built in PSU is already stellar for what the product is. Interesting there still seems to be an improvement with the external psu. If i got one, I would get the external PSU simply because it could be used with my monster of a computer off...

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #979 of 4,156
The strength of DI is to make soundstage even larger and sonic focus more accurate.  With DI + Ref-1 + Phoenix + T1, I start to really enjoy the feeling of sitting in the music hall listening the real music (soundstage-wise).

But I do feel the Bypass mode is louder than the 96k upsampling mode.  Maybe it got some digital volume change?
Quote:
That's not what I meant, and not sure that is technically possible. I meant music sounds a touch more in focus/real. Emphasis on "a touch".

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #980 of 4,156

Quote:
I played a DVD movie through the DI and NFB-1 today. It's confirmed that the DI is incompatible with DTS.

Not that is important to use the DI for the 2 channel NFB-1.

The NFB-1 cannot process a DTS stream...you need to send that stream from one of the DI's outputs (that is not being used) and send that stream to a HT receiver/processor. If you do not have a HT receiver/processor then you need to install AC3filter and set it up to process the DTS stream before sending to the DI (it will translate the DTS stream into a pcm stream that the NFB-1 can handle).Very few outboard audio dacs if any can handle DD or DTS...I can think of none off hand.

Read about software processing of DD and DTS (as it relates to sending pcm to an audio dac). You'll be able to listen to movies using the NFB-1 but it will be in 2 channel only (or a 5.1 down mix). The best method however is to send that stream via the DI (which should pass the stream untouched) to a HT processor and then plug in your phones to that processor to get the full effect of whatever the movie has been encoded with.

Peete.

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #981 of 4,156

Quote:
Actually I don't buy into all that transformer vibration stuff...its all in the imagination.
wink_face.gif

LOL
dt880smile.png

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #982 of 4,156

Quote:
The strength of DI is to make soundstage even larger and sonic focus more accurate.  With DI + Ref-1 + Phoenix + T1, I start to really enjoy the feeling of sitting in the music hall listening the real music (soundstage-wise).

But I do feel the Bypass mode is louder than the 96k upsampling mode.  Maybe it got some digital volume change?

What's the purpose of the Bypass mode? How do you like it in comparison with the 96K upsampling mode?

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #983 of 4,156
I agree, when in bypass mode there seems to be more air and greater decay, which makes the music seems more lively.  While in 96k mode air and decay are slightly decreased and focus is slightly increased.  So the edges of the instruments etc. seem a bit more distinct but to me its a bit un-natural.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #986 of 4,156
Wondering if the SB Duet would benefit anything from the A-GD DI ? Are the any experience availably with this combo yet ?
'Search this thread' didn't reveal anything, but still - someone might have tested it?

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #988 of 4,156
My first post and I'm a little out of place here as I'm not a regular headphone user . . .
But I have recently purchased an audio-gd Digital Interface (with power supply) and the NFB-1 DAC.

I'm using this pair to play back FLAC files from the SSD of my mini-ITX based dedicated music server (Win XP SP2)
Foobar 1.1 is my media player of choice.

I had previously used an HRT MusicStreamer with no playback issues at all.

My current setup: Music server (USB) > audio-GD DI  (coax, BNC terminated) > NFB1 > integrated amp > speakers

I'm now having some playback problems with Foobar and any advice would be appreciated. Problems are:

1. When I press play in Foobar there is a delay of about a second before music is output from speakers. The spectrum meter in Foobar responds instantly though.

2. After listening for about 20-30 minutes with no problems I start to get dropouts. Once I get the first more follow in quick succession.

At this stage I shut down the PC and DAC and go back to my CD player.

I have tested my PC using the DPC latency checker [size=x-small]http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml[/size]

This indicates no obviously problems during playback, averaging round 50uS but with the odd peak of 200-something. Green bars all the way.

I have shut down un-needed services and bypassed windows mixer.

I had similar problems on a borrowed laptop with similar specs running Foobar via USB - startup delay and dropouts.

However: my 'office' PC (not suitable for music server, big & noisy) has an optical SPDIF output.
I tried playing files via SPDIF into the NFB-1 and had neither problem described above.

This suggests the DI may be the culprit (or the way it 'talks' to the NFB-1.

Any advice welcomed! Thanks.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #989 of 4,156
I'm not going to be a lot of help as computer audio is a 'new thing' for me. But process of elimination is the first thing you need to do. 
Try USB from computer to DAC, skipping the interface.
Try CDPlayer coax to DAC. 
If no problems then its the interface. If skipping on both then its the DAC. If only skipping USB then its the computer's output. If skipping CDP, again its the DAC.
Uriah

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #990 of 4,156
Uriah,

I could not test USB input to the NFB-1, the only inputs are SP-DIF.

CDplayer Toslink into the DAC was flawless (as was SPDIF from another PC, as per my first post).

The Interface was a 'known good' unit previously owned by the vendor (a very helpful guy), who had no such problems.

The gear appears well made and judging from comments on this thread should have a lot of potential. Here's hoping . . .

Stuart

Quote:
I'm not going to be a lot of help as computer audio is a 'new thing' for me. But process of elimination is the first thing you need to do. 
Try USB from computer to DAC, skipping the interface.
Try CDPlayer coax to DAC. 
If no problems then its the interface. If skipping on both then its the DAC. If only skipping USB then its the computer's output. If skipping CDP, again its the DAC.
Uriah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back