Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #3,151 of 4,156
The matter is Tenor limit I send the driver to end customers.
So even my mates, only install the driver in their computers from a extra USB memory and they can't keep the driver files.
There is short tern from Tenor release the driver.

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #3,152 of 4,156
Quote:
did you try playing 192khz by i2s?

by the way the i2s jumper should be set on the farthest position if looking from DI's face? at least i2s works for me with that setting.

I don't have the DI right here to me, so I can't check for the jumper setting, however, I set them according to the pictures on audio-gd.com for I2S output.

However, 192khz does just not work. With the help of Kingwa, I did quite some troubleshooting, no success however. The files play on the computer, the driver window on windows shows everything right, but there is just no sound with 192khz-files. I had to set the oversampling-jumpers of the DI to 96khz. I suppose, this downsamples 192k - files to 96k. Then they work. It sounds great anyway, however, I don't like the idea of files being downsampled and re-upsampled in the DAC afterwards. The additional information gets obviousely lost that way. Maybe it sounds just as good, but I would like to be able to test that...

Do you have any experiencies with 192khz-files over I2S ?

Jul 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #3,154 of 4,156
Quote:
I don't have the DI right here to me, so I can't check for the jumper setting, however, I set them according to the pictures on audio-gd.com for I2S output.

However, 192khz does just not work. With the help of Kingwa, I did quite some troubleshooting, no success however. The files play on the computer, the driver window on windows shows everything right, but there is just no sound with 192khz-files. I had to set the oversampling-jumpers of the DI to 96khz. I suppose, this downsamples 192k - files to 96k. Then they work. It sounds great anyway, however, I don't like the idea of files being downsampled and re-upsampled in the DAC afterwards. The additional information gets obviousely lost that way. Maybe it sounds just as good, but I would like to be able to test that...

Do you have any experiencies with 192khz-files over I2S ?

my dac (Northstar 192 mk1) plays 96khz via i2s nicely
in case of 192khz files it locks on the signal and recognizes it as 192 (it shows that by appropriate lights)
but it doesn't play anything.
as i understand, if there would be a problem with the cable i would hear at least noises and distortion.
but there's just silence.

yes, the problem might be because the optimal voltage for my dac's i2s input is 5v and not 3.3v which DI outputs.
but having 96khz work perfectly and getting pure silence on 192khz is kinda strange.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #3,155 of 4,156
Quote:
For suitable DACs a direct connection by I2S gives great results too. Just be careful connecting and not moving around the equipment when connected.

Where did you get the I2S cable? I have a NFB-10 and it seems be suitable - "[size=10.0pt]The 24bit/192KHz USB interface outputs an I2S signal to the “Dual WM8741”."[/size]

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3,156 of 4,156
How do you guys feel about I2S vs S/PDIF when connecting the DI to your DACs? What kind of sonic improvements if any?

What cable are you using?

I received two I2S kits from Kingwa and intend to try it connecting my (new TE8802) DI-DSP to my NFB-8 DAC. I'm just wondering what kind of cable to use... The direct connection doesn't seem very practical...

Any feedback is much appreciated,

J

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #3,157 of 4,156
Actually, ursdiego's setup is not that bad at all... I'll connect my 2 jumper together going through the top vents of the NFB-8 and leave the DI open and upside down over the NFB-8 case. That way, it will be just like if the DI was part of the DAC. And issues with the interface are minimized by removing 2 connection and keeping cable run short.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #3,158 of 4,156
anyone tried DI-DSP Up-sampling?

I have the DI-DSP with both clocks upgraded and the PSU.

i have not tried to up-sampling yet. I am considering changing it to 96k to see how it sounds. for those of you who have tried the up-sampling how do you like it? is it really better than 44k? also have you noticed and negatives to the upsampling? perhaps with a specific genre of music?

Thanks.

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #3,159 of 4,156
i've used DI's upsampling for quite a long time.
in fact i've even bought a Tentlabs 24.576mhz clock, but currently i enjoy music without upsampling. it's a matter of my mood, i guess

pros: makes sound more focused, each instrument is localized much-much better, makes overall sound more precised, moves vocals a little forward.
cons: un-upsampled music sounds a little more natural with longer decays. also upsampling makes sound a little brighter.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3,160 of 4,156
Quote:
anyone tried DI-DSP Up-sampling?

I have the DI-DSP with both clocks upgraded and the PSU.

i have not tried to up-sampling yet. I am considering changing it to 96k to see how it sounds. for those of you who have tried the up-sampling how do you like it? is it really better than 44k? also have you noticed and negatives to the upsampling? perhaps with a specific genre of music?

Thanks.

I have mine set to 96khz but have not compared against 44.1.  I have some 96khz music so I just set it to the highest I had.  However everything I've heard sounds better with the DI-DSP then without, so for me, its not worth testing against 44.1.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #3,161 of 4,156
I am interested in the DI-DSP. Does anyone have or know where I can find jitter measurements for DI-DSP? However all that talk about problems with drivers on Windows platform does put me off and makes me wait a little longer.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #3,164 of 4,156
Quote:
I am interested in the DI-DSP. Does anyone have or know where I can find jitter measurements for DI-DSP? However all that talk about problems with drivers on Windows platform does put me off and makes me wait a little longer.

in fact there are no such comparable measurements about other converters.
those that exist are a marketing trick, made a in very special way.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3,165 of 4,156
good news to those who have Olimex usb isolator.

it works actually.
i was able to install drivers and use DI after i've connected a second power supply to the isolator. (Audio-gd's PSU on DI and a 7.5v PSU from my router on the Olimex isolator)
it was identified as a TE8022 device and i had to manually install the Audio-gd's drivers.
i guess that isolators didn't work without the PSU only because the te8802 chip + adum isolator eat more than the 500ma a usb port can provide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back