Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #136 of 4,156

Quote:
I guess I will check with Kingwa about the I2s connection with the DAC-19 and how it can be done as I am hoping to test the Digital Interface with the FUN and DAC-19/C-2 soon.

Here is the picture on how to set the DSP3 to input/output an I2s or S/PDIF signal:

From what I understand, all Audio-GD DACs that have DSP1 can accept an I2s signal.
This is what Kingwa told me regarding the teh Reference one DAC (RE1) which has DSP1 accepting an I2s signal.
Quote:
The RE1 without switch so if you want I2S input you must cancel the coaxial input,
The DSP3   MCK----DSP1  MCK
DSP3  WCK-------DSP1 LRCK
DSP3 BCK--------DSP1 BCK
DSP3 DOR--------DSP1 DATA
DSP3 GND---------DSP1 GND

Jul 16, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #138 of 4,156

Quote:
Would you be saying we have to remove the red rectangles,could you please explain.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #139 of 4,156
I don't think so.  The I2S outputs are at the ends of the red lines, so that would be the solder joins you see at the end of the brow resistors at the bottom of the picture.  The other instructions are the settings for the block of DIP switches on the right.  You can see the labels for them printed for each switch in white on the circuit board to the left of the red DIP switch block.

Jul 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #140 of 4,156

Quote:
I don't think so.  The I2S outputs are at the ends of the red lines, so that would be the solder joins you see at the end of the brow resistors at the bottom of the picture.  The other instructions are the settings for the block of DIP switches on the right.  You can see the labels for them printed for each switch in white on the circuit board to the left of the red DIP switch block.

You also need to have a ground wire running along side or in a twisted pair with each I2S line - I presume the interleaved solder points are grounds?

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #141 of 4,156
Yup, GND would be ground.  With a bit of case work, I could probably build one of these into my Ref 1 and connect it up using I2S. Not sure it'd be worth it though.

Jul 17, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #142 of 4,156
I did ask Kingwa about the external power suppy,he said

The external power supply slight improve on SQ, but the Digital Interface already built in a lot Class A power supply, so the improve not very much. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #145 of 4,156
I am starting to have my doubts with this...

No asynchronous USB mode
No custom driver
No 75 Ohm BNC (only 50 Ohm)

I think the modded Jkeny hiFace or EVO is probably the better choice.

Also, if we use the optional class A external power supply, how does the USB cable stop supplying power??

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #147 of 4,156
Kingwa has been very open about his product the digital interface right from the start, there is no need for the external power.If the manufacturer says that I feel it would be foolish on our end to get one.

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #148 of 4,156

Quote:
I am starting to have my doubts with this...

No asynchronous USB mode
No custom driver
No 75 Ohm BNC (only 50 Ohm)

I think the modded Jkeny hiFace or EVO is probably the better choice.

Also, if we use the optional class A external power supply, how does the USB cable stop supplying power??

Hey, go with the 'tested by a handful' product that needs software support vs established audio designer and get back to us with the results. And explain to us how 50ohm is worse please.

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #149 of 4,156
I didnt mean to dis Kingwa in any way. He has awesome gear and customer service (in fact, I have been a customer and plan to buy more). I was just pointing out issues coming from the M2Tech hiFace side of things when it comes to digital interfaces. I have been reading several hiFace threads and the three issues I pointed out would be red flags to the hiFace crowd in my opinion. I am definitely excited to read reviews on this new Audio-gd kit though.  :)

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #150 of 4,156
I hear you Zorlac.

In my correspondence with him and with his products that I've bought in last year he earned respect and trust from me. So if he is confident that Digital Interface (DI) can complement RE-1 and that it can compete with hiFace - that is enough for me to experiment $140 and see for myself how it stacks up with modded/attenuated hiFace.

Further, I'm planing to use his DI in my I2S experiments and I'm trying to persuade him to put a nice socket for I2S connection on it instead of RCA SPDIF input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back