Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #3,901 of 5,348
He did not alter inputs, but will check & report back.
Slight issue we had when I first updated the firmware & went through the procedure which was 100% successful.....but could not get a sound out of the Di20.
Re-did the procedure, and second time it worked, & everytime after that as we sampled the different FW's.
Yes, flashing may pass, while some locations produce unstable result. This is a hardware fault, if it happened more than once, it indicate that there are weak cells and reprogramming in future should be avoided. Upload the best firmware, and stick to that version.

It can be also non-volatile memory chip losing configuration, it is worth to try first what @gimmeheadroom says. Also try to power off, disconnect all other devices and leave it for few hours. It will discharge internal static electricity that device could be exposed to.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #3,902 of 5,348
Got the c2 clock cable two hours ago.

Right from the start, clarity has improved, cymbal are better. Also, there is a better depiction of depth and the sound is more relaxed. So far, it's a winner. Very glad with my purchase.

The cable, although it looks like an rg402, cannot be bent permanently, it seems. So different construction.

It came well packed in a nice box featuring a magnetic lid. A bit fancy.

IMG_20220815_162630.jpg
Thanks Fred, interesting! Did you buy just one cable? If yes, did you connect the dac or the DI-20? And again...did you have experience with RG402 in the past? I think I'll buy a couple of those...Just need to see where, coz from China directly I would pay a lot of duties...

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #3,903 of 5,348
Thanks Fred, interesting! Did you buy just one cable? If yes, did you connect the dac or the DI-20? And again...did you have experience with RG402 in the past? I think I'll buy a couple of those...Just need to see where, coz from China directly I would pay a lot of duties...
Only one, on the dac. I think a second one would make very little difference if any, could be wrong. It beats all my other cables so far, including the red one from Afterdark and my ebay rg402s. While listening , i realized i had put the di20he on a 75-ohm out by mistake, and had my setup like this for a few months. I put it back on a 50-ohm out and perceived little difference if any.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #3,904 of 5,348
Is it possible for FW to become corrupted and stop the DI-20 from working?
My friends unit was working fine via Zen Streamer/USB + Quobuz. He then tried to cast YouTubeMusic via Bubble/ZS which caused white noise then silence.
He has not been able to get DDC to work again, altho streaming direct to DAC is fine.
The FW at the time was 3.933.
Hot swapping hdmi can cause issues if not lucky. Pushing the red button behind (close to the update port) will erase the amanero fw. I would bet this is what happened. You would not see the amanero though on the computer.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #3,905 of 5,348
Yes, flashing may pass, while some locations produce unstable result. This is a hardware fault, if it happened more than once, it indicate that there are weak cells and reprogramming in future should be avoided. Upload the best firmware, and stick to that version.

It can be also non-volatile memory chip losing configuration, it is worth to try first what @gimmeheadroom says. Also try to power off, disconnect all other devices and leave it for few hours. It will discharge internal static electricity that device could be exposed to.
It is worthwhile to check the verify option in the Altera programmer. . Could be a programming problem (bad transmission caused by a bad contact or something else causing an error).

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #3,906 of 5,348
Hot swapping hdmi can cause issues if not lucky. Pushing the red button behind (close to the update port) will erase the amanero fw. I would bet this is what happened. You would not see the amanero though on the computer.
Pressing red button is one thing. Is such case only USB port would stop working. The other is a very common case that hot swapping cause permanent damage HDMI ports in TV sets, set-top boxes, etc., a DAC/DDC is not an exception.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #3,907 of 5,348
Only one, on the dac. I think a second one would make very little difference if any, could be wrong. It beats all my other cables so far, including the red one from Afterdark and my ebay rg402s. While listening , i realized i had put the di20he on a 75-ohm out by mistake, and had my setup like this for a few months. I put it back on a 50-ohm out and perceived little difference if any.
I had a similar situation, I was using the DI-20 WCLK out into a 75 ohm input on a DAC. It worked fine, the DAC had no problem locking to the WCLK signal. Probably a short cable just doesn't make enough loss or reflection.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #3,908 of 5,348

Thanks....will get him to give this a go....

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #3,911 of 5,348
Got it, thanks.
I cannot be sure, but I tend to think that clock cable can have identical influence on both gears, no hierarchy have logical sense...I experienced this changing cables of inferior quality like rg416 or rg402. Mixing them in various combination produced noticeable differences, being always better the use of same cable in both connections.

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #3,914 of 5,348
Interestingly, the DI-20 keeps AES/EBU active even when it should not work i.e. the sample rate is higher than 192 KHz. I can get DXD to play mostly ok over AES/EBU to my Brooklyn.

Aug 17, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #3,915 of 5,348
I had a similar situation, I was using the DI-20 WCLK out into a 75 ohm input on a DAC. It worked fine, the DAC had no problem locking to the WCLK signal. Probably a short cable just doesn't make enough loss or reflection.
The dac clocks the signal as well in my case. As long as there a lock and as long as it does not make the i2s aignal noisier, it is ok. Using the external clock on the di20he vs the internal makes little difference since i got the latest r7he fw.

Having a mismatch will raise jitter of course. But won't cause a locking issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back