Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 31, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,931 of 5,351
Today I received an SMSL VMV D2 DAC that I want to use as follows:
DSD files --> DI-20HE --> I2S --> D2
Both devices have settings to adjust the I2S pin layouts and I believe I tried all permutations. However I get no music, just distorted noise.
The DI-20HE shows 64, 128 or 256 (whatever applies), but the D2 keeps showing 44, 88 or 176.
Are these devices incompatible? Could it be that the D2 expects a 'DSD flag' or 'Mode' signal on pin 14 or 15 and that the DI-20HE does not send that?

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #3,932 of 5,351
Both devices have settings to adjust the I2S pin layouts and I believe I tried all permutations. However I get no music, just distorted noise.
The DI-20HE shows 64, 128 or 256 (whatever applies), but the D2 keeps showing 44, 88 or 176.
Are these devices incompatible? Could it be that the D2 expects a 'DSD flag' or 'Mode' signal on pin 14 or 15 and that the DI-20HE does not send that?
Something like this. Could also be related to the hdmi cable you use. If you use a regular cable including all lines, it'a not the cable. PCM works ?

Aug 31, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #3,933 of 5,351
For troubleshooting, try CD file, try to bypass DI20he, try other output from DI20he.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #3,934 of 5,351
Audio GD only supports native DSD and no flags (I believe). You probably just have to find compatible I2S output mode on the DI-20,and match that up ro an appropriate input mode on the D2 DAC. See section 10 (pg 12) in the D2 DAC manual. Then find a comparible pinout for DI-20 (1 of 4). See links below…

https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/VMVD2Manual.pdf
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DI20HE/DI20HEEN_Use.htm

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #3,935 of 5,351
Am very interested in this one, only hesitating because i am -ideally- after a combo of an audio-gd DAC* and DDI that are both capable of being fed by an external clock.
i) i don't want "regen", am dead set against it as 40 years in this industry (am a pro, not only a consumer) i've yet to see one that doesn't mess with the sound in ways nothing should. Just my opinion here, i've read the thread, i know folks will disagree, they've "heard" it; i get that. Just me. Which personal opinion leads me to:
ii) for his dedicated, non regen R-1 and D-77 if i recall correctly? Clock 'IN' isn't an option. They're the ones i'm interested in, either one, due to space constraints.

And again, i'll probably buy the DI-20 alone, but.. ideally, you want the exact same clock feeding everything in the digital domain; everything.
I really like what i see in the pics (i can deduce enough just by looking at the PCB) and i love his prices.
So.. tempted, but not quite there. Yet :)
* there's always the option of buying them and modifying them, sure, but bit of money for nothing then, plus i have a certain.. aversion towards the digital domain and not as much experience as in the analog. In short, i can't be asked ^^

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #3,936 of 5,351
Am very interested in this one, only hesitating because i am -ideally- after a combo of an audio-gd DAC* and DDI that are both capable of being fed by an external clock.
i) i don't want "regen", am dead set against it as 40 years in this industry (am a pro, not only a consumer) i've yet to see one that doesn't mess with the sound in ways nothing should. Just my opinion here, i've read the thread, i know folks will disagree, they've "heard" it; i get that. Just me. Which personal opinion leads me to:
ii) for his dedicated, non regen R-1 and D-77 if i recall correctly? Clock 'IN' isn't an option. They're the ones i'm interested in, either one, due to space constraints.

And again, i'll probably buy the DI-20 alone, but.. ideally, you want the exact same clock feeding everything in the digital domain; everything.
I really like what i see in the pics (i can deduce enough just by looking at the PCB) and i love his prices.
* there's always the option of buying them and modifying them, sure, but bit of money for nothing then, plus i have a certain.. aversion towards the digital domain and not as much experience as in the analog. In short, i can't be asked ^^
You could always ask him for an option thats not listed. He may be willing to accomodate.

Just curious what would you modify?

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #3,937 of 5,351
Audio GD only supports native DSD and no flags (I believe). You probably just have to find compatible I2S output mode on the DI-20,and match that up ro an appropriate input mode on the D2 DAC. See section 10 (pg 12) in the D2 DAC manual. Then find a comparible pinout for DI-20 (1 of 4). See links below…

https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/VMVD2Manual.pdf
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DI20HE/DI20HEEN_Use.htm
Thanks all for your suggestions.
PCM works well from the DI-20HE over the same cable. Also, DSD works well directly into the D2 with a USB cable.
Trying another output than I2S does not make sense as only I2S does higher resolution DSD.
I did see all the I2S pin layout settings for both devices. The invert (D2) and swap (DI) settings are not so interesting as the just swap left and right. So 2x2 (D2) x2 (DI) = 8 permutations remain. I tried them all, but in all cases just static noise out of one channel. I give up on this one.

This is what Kingwa wrote to me:
"Since 2016, a lot DAC designs had not require the DSD flag , they can switch between DSD and PCM auto .
And the DSD flag has not the worldwide standard , the level and pin definition may different between different products so the Di20HE has not output the DSD flag."

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #3,938 of 5,351

Not sure I fully understood your post but for the DDC look at DI-20HE which supports 10 MHz external clock and one of the R8 or better (lower numbers are higher tier products) R2R DACs, the latest revision also support external clock input.

Even without a master clock (which I have but it doesn't do 10 MHz) this is the most analog setup I have heard. To be more accurate, I no longer hear the gear, just the music.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #3,939 of 5,351
Not sure I fully understood your post

No worries, English is my second language so probably on my end :)
As mentioned above, i have space constraints so the R8 isn't a consideration unfortunately. This is all for a mini-system to listen from while i'm working.

As to how good or not a DAC is, any DAC, i can assure you it's even better if fed correctly by the same exact clock that feeds your digital interface. Guaranteed, bankable.
* that is of course assuming you have or need a digital interface in the first place, sure; i do, because said mini-sytem won't have a dedicated transport; will be 'fed' straight from the PC, so some form of isolation/reclocking is a must. Again, it's just for myworkbench. Limitations.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #3,940 of 5,351
No worries, English is my second language so probably on my end :)
As mentioned above, i have space constraints so the R8 isn't a consideration unfortunately. This is all for a mini-system to listen from while i'm working.

I see. There is a new R-27HE all in one and the R-27 all in one, but I don't remember if they accept external clock input.

As to how good or not a DAC is, any DAC, i can assure you it's even better if fed correctly by the same exact clock that feeds your digital interface. Guaranteed, bankable.

Yes, I agree with that, it is a known principle from pro audio.

* that is of course assuming you have or need a digital interface in the first place, sure; i do, because said mini-sytem won't have a dedicated transport; will be 'fed' straight from the PC, so some form of isolation/reclocking is a must. Again, it's just for myworkbench. Limitations.

Most of us in the Audio-gd threads have a DI-20HE and one or more pieces of Audio-gd gear :)

Right now at this moment I'm recording off my DI-20HE -> AES -> Mutec MC-3+ USB -> AES -> TASCAM DA-3000

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #3,941 of 5,351
There is a new R-27HE all in one and the R-27 all in one

I thought about replying to this, then decided i shouldn't waste people's time; then i thought maybe i gave the wrong impression, so.. :)

- I don't want an all-in-one, as i've only electrostatic headphones, it would be a waste of both space and money.
- I mentioned the two particular models (R-1 or D-77) as primarily my issue is with width, not height; got this tiiiny shelf i intend to cram everything on top of one another, think a mini-stack?

Again though, i appreciate the help :)

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #3,942 of 5,351
I thought about replying to this, then decided i shouldn't waste people's time; then i thought maybe i gave the wrong impression, so.. :)

- I don't want an all-in-one, as i've only electrostatic headphones, it would be a waste of both space and money.
- I mentioned the two particular models (R-1 or D-77) as primarily my issue is with width, not height; got this tiiiny shelf i intend to cram everything on top of one another, think a mini-stack?

Again though, i appreciate the help :)
I see, sorry for the misunderstanding. When you wrote "mini system" my thoughts headed toward all-in-one.

In that case I would recommend contacting Kingwa to see if he is willing to rig up a clock input for the R-1. I'm sure his chipdacs are excellent, but most of the guys here are fans of his R2R DACs.

Sep 1, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #3,943 of 5,351
In that case I would recommend contacting Kingwa to see if he is willing to rig up a clock input for the R-1.
Unfortunately, R-1 board is not capable to accept 10 MHz external clock. Only Mk2 versions have on-board clock synthesiser, R-1 is still at Mk1 level. But speak, maybe this fall...

It would be great, as Mk2 board is also better optimised for jitter, there is a significant improvement is SQ. If upgraded to Mk2, it would be a killer.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #3,945 of 5,351
curious what would you modify?

I think i missed your post earlier today, only just saw it; apologies.
Been mentioned in a previous post of mine, would just add a clock input somewhere (on the DAC obviously); the hussle is the backplate believe it or not, not the PCB modifications :)
I'd need to first take it all apart, do my mod, calculate where i need the extra socket, unscrew backplate, mark it, drill it, enlarge hole bit by bit (never drill a hole straight to the diameter you're after if you want a good job), reassemble, resolder.. it's a minor thing technically speaking, but in practice.. can't be asked, i claim age!

But i'll ask him, yeah.
I really like how you always get a response with him, fast too; no robots, no nothing. All these questions must take up a lot of his time, i know what that can be like; so he has my respect, i'll say that ^^

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back