Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 1, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #3,946 of 5,351
Am very interested in this one, only hesitating because i am -ideally- after a combo of an audio-gd DAC* and DDI that are both capable of being fed by an external clock.
i) i don't want "regen", am dead set against it as 40 years in this industry (am a pro, not only a consumer) i've yet to see one that doesn't mess with the sound in ways nothing should. Just my opinion here, i've read the thread, i know folks will disagree, they've "heard" it; i get that. Just me. Which personal opinion leads me to:
ii) for his dedicated, non regen R-1 and D-77 if i recall correctly? Clock 'IN' isn't an option. They're the ones i'm interested in, either one, due to space constraints.

And again, i'll probably buy the DI-20 alone, but.. ideally, you want the exact same clock feeding everything in the digital domain; everything.
I really like what i see in the pics (i can deduce enough just by looking at the PCB) and i love his prices.
So.. tempted, but not quite there. Yet :)
* there's always the option of buying them and modifying them, sure, but bit of money for nothing then, plus i have a certain.. aversion towards the digital domain and not as much experience as in the analog. In short, i can't be asked ^^
You would be very surprised how good the r2r 11 mkii sounds fed through rca spdif by an externally clocked di20/he. Even without a clock input.

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #3,947 of 5,351
@FredA appreciate the input Fred :)
Will almost certainly bite the bullet and call it a day, lol, but as i've got a couple of other purchases prioritised i'm.. mostly procrastinating? Pondering on it some more anyhow.

* The real funny part will be if it impresses me; that would be bad. 'Cause then i'd have to change my second system too, wouldn't i. Never ends this thing, never ^^

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #3,948 of 5,351
@FredA appreciate the input Fred :)
Will almost certainly bite the bullet and call it a day, lol, but as i've got a couple of other purchases prioritised i'm.. mostly procrastinating? Pondering on it some more anyhow.

* The real funny part will be if it impresses me; that would be bad. 'Cause then i'd have to change my second system too, wouldn't i. Never ends this thing, never ^^
Yeah, never ending it is. I just ordered and silver dc cable to possibly upgrade the streaming and have applied Stabilant 22 contact enhancer to my streamer psu's fuse. Took a day to show benefits. i don't know if it is a coincidence but the staging has acquired another dimension it seems.

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #3,950 of 5,351
Sep 2, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #3,951 of 5,351
Yes the DI-20HE i2s works with the Gustard X26.
I don't listen to DSD, or have any DSD tracks to test with.
Thanks!

So I still do not know whether DSD via I2S would work in this setup. Kingwa writes about this: "If the DAC need DSD flag for work, that can't work well with the DI20HE , maybe no sound on the PCM or no sound on the DSD, depend on the DAC flag require design."

Not sure whether "that can't work well" means "there is a chance this will not work well" or "it will not work well" :wink:

I wonder whether it would be possible to tweak the DAC to always receive the required signal on pin 15, even if this would mean that I could no longer play PCM via I2S (which would be no problem for me).

I have also asked Gustard.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #3,952 of 5,351
Thanks!

So I still do not know whether DSD via I2S would work in this setup. Kingwa writes about this: "If the DAC need DSD flag for work, that can't work well with the DI20HE , maybe no sound on the PCM or no sound on the DSD, depend on the DAC flag require design."

Not sure whether "that can't work well" means "there is a chance this will not work well" or "it will not work well" :wink:

I wonder whether it would be possible to tweak the DAC to always receive the required signal on pin 15, even if this would mean that I could no longer play PCM via I2S (which would be no problem for me).

I have also asked Gustard.
A definitive answer is whether a DAC really need this flag or can also use auto-detection method in a case pin is not connected. This question Gustard must answer. For your SMSL DAC it is clear that DSD datastream is not detected. You can ask SMSL support centre about firmware upgrade that use autodetection. If they don't answer, it means that they don't have such plans.

Not sure whether my English is good enough to give a tip, but, let try. If you can force a DSD Flag pin to a level high, it will tell a DAC to interpret a datastream as DSD. Level 'high' is achieved by connecting a pin to the 5V power source by a resistor. It require DIY skills and may invalidate warranty.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #3,953 of 5,351
A definitive answer is whether a DAC really need this flag or can also use auto-detection method in a case pin is not connected. This question Gustard must answer. For your SMSL DAC it is clear that DSD datastream is not detected. You can ask SMSL support centre about firmware upgrade that use autodetection. If they don't answer, it means that they don't have such plans.

Not sure whether my English is good enough to give a tip, but, let try. If you can force a DSD Flag pin to a level high, it will tell a DAC to interpret a datastream as DSD. Level 'high' is achieved by connecting a pin to the 5V power source by a resistor. It require DIY skills and may invalidate warranty.
Thanks! I was secretly hoping that you would give your 2(?) cents :) This is useful information for my quest... I have contacted SMSL as well as Gustard and will post the results here.

Sep 2, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #3,955 of 5,351
If the question has been asked before, I apologize in advance.
What exactly are the differences between the DI-20 and DI-20HE?
Regenerative power supply, I've figured that out myself so far, but otherwise?

Background:
I've been the owner of an Audio-GD R28 for a month now, and I love the unit.
Today I got a Gustard U18 for testing, and am very happy with the difference I2s / USB.

So now I will order a DDC from Audio-GD in any case, the only question now is: better equal to the DI-20HE?

Sep 2, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #3,957 of 5,351
That's it. Only difference.

Thanks for the answer.
What would be your recommendation in my case?

Chain: Roon Rock -> Asus TinkerBord -> DietPi -> Audio GD R28 (2020 Model)

Since the normal DI-20 should be perfectly sufficient for me?

Sep 2, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,958 of 5,351
Thanks for the answer.
What would be your recommendation in my case?

Chain: Roon Rock -> Asus TinkerBord -> DietPi -> Audio GD R28 (2020 Model)

Since the normal DI-20 should be perfectly sufficient for me?
I think the di20he is recommended if you have no power conditioning or if you want the best.

Regenerative power is very expensive and although the di20he is a bit pricey, it's a bargain for a device with regenerative power.

I went with the HE because i didn't want to wonder what could have been.

Sep 2, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #3,960 of 5,351
If you can force a DSD Flag pin to a level high, it will tell a DAC to interpret a datastream as DSD. Level 'high' is achieved by connecting a pin to the 5V power source by a resistor. It require DIY skills and may invalidate warranty.

If you say "the 5V power source", do you mean that this is already available somewhere in the DAC? If yes, where to look for it?
And about the resistor: what value and where would you put it?
Not that I will try anytime soon, just trying to understand...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back