Audio-GD DI-20
Aug 18, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #3,917 of 5,351
Hi. I've noticed this shop too, the cheapest offer. I'll take the LHY OCK-1 here. I'll also be getting a BNC cable to go with it https://aliexpress.ru/item/10050026...781027712.1640613639&sku_id=12000021653642404 and WireWorld Stratus 7 2.0m power cable. I have the entire WireWorld Electra 7 power harness, I like them a lot, but I'll get a cheaper one for the clock.
looking forward to your experience with the LHY OCK-1 and DI20. I'll probably be picking up the DI-20HE within the next few days and am considering the OCK-1 or C16. I prefer the price of the OCK-1 :)

Aug 18, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #3,918 of 5,351
looking forward to your experience with the LHY OCK-1 and DI20. I'll probably be picking up the DI-20HE within the next few days and am considering the OCK-1 or C16. I prefer the price of the OCK-1 :)
OK, I will. DI20HE I'm very happy with, it's definitely worth the money, I've been warming it up for about 300 hours, the system sound is very mature, a worthwhile purchase. I ordered my LHY OCK-1 and BNC Gustard cable from ali expresse. WireWorld Stratus 7 2.0m power cable already purchased.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #3,920 of 5,351
Got mine over 2y ago. It is just great. Kingwa's best product ever perhaps. Hard to say, he made so many great ones.

It sounds full and it stages outstandingly. It is very stable with the usbridge sig.

The c2 clock cable is improving, even though it easily beat my other cables from the start. Things can't get much better from here. It is very hard to perceive it's a digital source playing (di20he along with the r7he mkii, both clocked by the afterdark eva) . The level of detail is amazing. The definition in the extreme low range has improved too. A layer of air has been added as well.

Aug 18, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #3,921 of 5,351
OK, I will. DI20HE I'm very happy with, it's definitely worth the money, I've been warming it up for about 300 hours, the system sound is very mature, a worthwhile purchase. I ordered my LHY OCK-1 and BNC Gustard cable from ali expresse. WireWorld Stratus 7 2.0m power cable already purchased.
I have about 350 hours burn in time, its still fluctuating a bit but not as much now. Really sucked for the first 200 hours or so, bass was going in and out.

If you are looking for some good cables on the cheap, check out this thread. I directly compared the audioquest carbon coax vs the odin 2 knockoff coax and it outperformed the carbon.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aliexpress-cables.963919/page-36#post-17103379

Really interested your assessment once you receive the ock-1, I may follow your route. Which dac do you have?

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #3,923 of 5,351
The previously mentioned issue about my DI20 exhibiting awful static, and R/L channel mismatch on the majority of power-up cycles has currently been resolved, and astonishingly - it seemed to be all down to DAC pairings!!

Just last week I got the new Chord Mojo 2 portable DAC (which includes a modest internal amp) and paired it with the DI20, and. 'WALA' - the first startup worked just fine. Assuming it was just a normal random chance that the DI20 worked right, I carried on and enjoyed the FANTASTIC sound, that IMO comes darn close to the Chord Qutest... it took me a while to notice that in fact the pairing is actually trouble free in the long run. Each startup works perfectly and quickly, including with sample rate changes.

This is literally the 4th DAC I have paired with the DI20, all previous of which have exhibited the above static and channel reversal issue, which I had been used to troubleshooting on a daily basis by power cycling on / off the unit between 2 and 10 times until the audio comes out right. The first DAC being Schiit Modi 2 multibit (for this one I can't quite recall if it happened less frequent or not at all), then was Chord Qutest, then iFi Micro iDSD Black Label as a DAC. All of these connected with RCA coax cables, with the exception of the Qutest which had to use a custom BNC to RCA cable to be compatible with its input. And now for some reason even though my new DAC is also from Chord Electronics and also using a RCA digital coax cable, the problem is solved. I have a hunch it may have had to have something to do with a digital handshake between the DDC and the DAC. Probably not significant, but the difference now being with the new DAC is that the digital coax cable is RCA on the DI20 side and 2-pin 3.5mm on the DAC side, for compatibility.
THIS THIS THIS...I still have it happening to me from time to time. Sometimes I wondered if my issue was that I have everything fired up in my chain before it goto the DI-20 thus complicating the handshake. I do notice that the more, that when I have the DI-20 on before the rest of the signal chain (and whatever app I am using) that things work out better.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #3,924 of 5,351
I realized there may have been more to the issue with DI20 injecting static into the DAC randomly after some of the power-on cycles. It must have something to do with the (ridiculous) proprietary ACSS version of S/PDIF used by Audio-GD and it's compatibility with DACs of other brands via RCA coax. Especially when I was having to use a special cable that had BNC on one end and RCA on the other end, this was probably a lot of the fault with handshake or random compatibility rejection. At least with Chord Mojo 2 it's compatible, and hopefully my next DAC will like it too.

Aug 22, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #3,925 of 5,351
The RCA coax input is normal S/PDIF and there are two coax outputs, one normal S/PDIF and one ACSS.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #3,926 of 5,351
My DI-20 base model is no longer seen by my newish PC. It works over coax so it's not dead.

I have removed and reinstalled the Windows drivers and rebooted a few times, nothing.

I can't find the info in this thread about reflashing amanero on the DI-20. Can somebody please remind me what to do? Thanks.

updated: big thanks to @DACLadder, info is here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/post-15427632

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,927 of 5,351
My DI-20 base model is no longer seen by my newish PC. It works over coax so it's not dead.

I have removed and reinstalled the Windows drivers and rebooted a few times, nothing.

I can't find the info in this thread about reflashing amanero on the DI-20. Can somebody please remind me what to do? Thanks.
If you just change PC, you likely need to install the amanero driver. Link there to download it:

http://www.audio-gd.com/pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,928 of 5,351
If you just change PC, you likely need to install the amanero driver. Link there to download it:

http://www.audio-gd.com/pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm
Thank you @FredA

When I brought the PC up last week or so, I had already installed the latest drivers and was using the DI-20 over USB.

I don't know what happened, but the PC started giving errors that the USB device was not recognized. I did reinstall but it didn't fix it.

I found @DACLadder post from June 2020 where there was enough info to make me remember what to do. And he's right, something weird happens with the amanero firmware tool oemtool117u that you have to turn the DI-20 off between flashing CPLD and CPU. It says to erase the device so if you don't pay attention you could get yourself in a loop having it half installed :frowning2:

Anyway, all ok now, thank you!

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #3,929 of 5,351
Thank you @FredA

When I brought the PC up last week or so, I had already installed the latest drivers and was using the DI-20 over USB.

I don't know what happened, but the PC started giving errors that the USB device was not recognized. I did reinstall but it didn't fix it.

I found @DACLadder post from June 2020 where there was enough info to make me remember what to do. And he's right, something weird happens with the amanero firmware tool oemtool117u that you have to turn the DI-20 off between flashing CPLD and CPU. It says to erase the device so if you don't pay attention you could get yourself in a loop having it half installed :frowning2:

Anyway, all ok now, thank you!
I can hardly stand down times with my setup. I erased the Amanero on my di20he 8 months ago or so, by accident. I was in panic mode! LOL!

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #3,930 of 5,351
I can hardly stand down times with my setup. I erased the Amanero on my di20he 8 months ago or so, by accident. I was in panic mode! LOL!

Yeah, I can definitely relate. I had the PC on its side to try to block the light coming out of the ethernet jack and I thought I might have pulled a cable loose. I checked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. 5 series of uninstalling Windows drivers, rebooting, reinstalling, nothing worked. Really annoying and I have no explanation. When it worked over RCA I knew the DI-20 itself must be ok. Big sigh of relief :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back