Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #782 of 5,353
With r2r7 I can flash the Altera and Xilinx FPGAs. I presume neither of those are the Amanero? Does the R7 2020 version let you flash the Amanero?

The Amanero is reflashed over USB with special software.

It is more difficult on the R7 internal Amanero board as you have to short circuit two PCB pins to put the board in download mode. Kingwa makes it easier on the DI20 as you just press the red button on the back of the unit to place the Amanero circuit in programming mode. Never done it but have a look here to get you started... http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/Amanero/AmaneroEN.htm

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #784 of 5,353
When using the Amanero ConfigTool.exe s/w what are the target Amanero CPLD and CPU firmwares? "CPLD_for_1080" and "DSD512x48x44" ?

On my Windows 10 machine I have to use 'oem tool 117' from the link below. It looks different from the "howto" link directly above. The "howto" link's version is not digitally signed properly for Windows 10. The current Windows playback driver worked OK with config tool 117 (if previously installed). I could not load the other config tool Windows driver as Windows 10 said it was already up-to-date..

Also the CPLD and CPU firmwares are built into the tool (no separate files). You only have options to select versions with the config tool's pulldown menus.

Had to also deviate from the written procedure. After erasing the Amanero device(s) a power cycle was required for the DI20 to sync up with the 117 tool. It did not work just unplugging and replugging the USB cable as documented. DI20 power cycle was also required between CPLD and CPU programming.

Have to remember to not touch the red button on back of the DI20! It will erase the Amanero and require reloading.

https://www.amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #785 of 5,353
I think I loaded the older Amanero files. Suppose to be 'CPLD_for_1081' and '2006be'. 2006be10 and 2006be11 were listed so I chose 2006be11.

And I did not have to reboot the DI20 between the CPLD and CPU version the 2nd go around. After erasing just program the CPLD first and CPU 2nd. Afterward I power cycled when reconnecting my audio USB source.

The DI20 works after I fiddled with it. So didn't brick the box.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #786 of 5,353
I know about this cybershaft bnc cables. But I dont know how good are they? May be they not much better then 8$ cables from amazon?

Hi, the Cybershaft cables comes with an individual protocol of its measurement. The semi rigids has very good reputation in the crazy high end community. They are true 50 Ohm cables. And that is important, especially when You want to transfer square wave. Sine is less critical but You should always be careful of cables of choice with impedance matching. If You buy a 5800 Euro Master clock...You don't want to ruin its performance with sneaky cables.
/Jan

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #787 of 5,353
I am new to audio-gd.

I bought the DI-20HE, the R7-HE and The HE-9 (I'm a headphone listener).

These components sound incredible; certainly the most transparent equipment I ever heard.

I do have one issue however: All these firmware upgrades and USB refreshes drive me crazy. I am a MAC user and know nothing about windows computers, which are needed for these updates. In addition- the instructions to update are not clear AT ALL. It often takes multiple communications with Kingwa over several days to get to the point where I understand how to do an update. This seems unnecessary and cumbersome for both the user and for Kingwa.

Can anyone write up clear and exact step-by-step instructions (for a type of person who is computer and technology illiterate) for updating all the audio-gd components in good English and send them to audio-gd for them to post on their web-site. It would be an enormous favor.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #788 of 5,353
By the way- maybe Youtube videos would be an easier and more exact way for a more experienced audio-gd user to show us beginners how to update all our components.

After all- a picture is worth a thousand words.

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #789 of 5,353
Jan 23, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #790 of 5,353
At this point the R7-HE and HE-9 sound better with direct USB from my computer when using a reference USB cable than by way of the DI-20HE with a cheap USB cable (the one that came with the DI-20HE). If the the DI-20HE is fed by an equivalently good USB cable it does surpass the HE-7 fed directly by a good USB cable- even if the HDMI cable is not so good (I currently have a cheapo $2 HDMI cable only). I do not know the results of using a good HDMI cable in addition to a good USB cable on the DI-20HE because I am still waiting for a few I ordered.

At this point (without access to a better HDMI cable), I do not feel that the sonic improvement using the DI-20HE is gigantic vs. going direct from computer to DAC. I would call the improvement moderate.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #791 of 5,353
At this point the R7-HE and HE-9 sound better with direct USB from my computer when using a reference USB cable than by way of the DI-20HE with a cheap USB cable (the one that came with the DI-20HE). If the the DI-20HE is fed by an equivalently good USB cable it does surpass the HE-7 fed directly by a good USB cable- even if the HDMI cable is not so good (I currently have a cheapo $2 HDMI cable only). I do not know the results of using a good HDMI cable in addition to a good USB cable on the DI-20HE because I am still waiting for a few I ordered.

At this point (without access to a better HDMI cable), I do not feel that the sonic improvement using the DI-20HE is gigantic vs. going direct from computer to DAC. I would call the improvement moderate.
The biggest improvements are with resolution, balance and soundstaging. Of course you need headpbones that can reveal the differences. With my setup, using the same silent computer (usbridge) to feed both through a silver usb cable, the difference is 4 notches, which means big. I use revealing silver litz IC between dac and pre and pre and amp, and a revealing set of loudspeaker. The difference is really obvious and welcome.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #792 of 5,353
The biggest improvements are with resolution, balance and soundstaging. Of course you need headpbones that can reveal the differences. With my setup, using the same silent computer (usbridge) to feed both through a silver usb cable, the difference is 4 notches, which means big. I use revealing silver litz IC between dac and pre and pre and amp, and a revealing set of loudspeaker. The difference is really obvious and welcome.

I'm looking forward to more improvements when I get some of the HDMI cables you recommended which have still not arrived.

Regarding cabling- I have pure litz silver and pure litz copper IC cables; both close to equally revealing, with the major difference being tonality. I also have Susvara and TC headphones- so I think I'm pretty well set up.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #793 of 5,353
If the the DI-20HE is fed by an equivalently good USB cable it does surpass the HE-7 fed directly by a good USB cable- even if the HDMI cable is not so good (I currently have a cheapo $2 HDMI cable only).
I ordered Oyaide Continental 5S V2 3.0m 5N silver from PC to Sotm UsbUltra for amazing 220$ new
But still need second short usb from UsbUltra to Di-20HE
Judging by the reviews the best usb cable is AudioQuest Diamond

I still not decided about HDMI cable(
I'm afraid to miss the choice
Kingwa said he likes wire world chroma

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #794 of 5,353
Could someone tell me how the ACSS IC cables from Kingwa compare to pure silver litz IC's in their system???

In mine- the ACSS seem to be a bit more detailed- but also a bit thinner sounding. Don't know which I like better....

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #795 of 5,353
I'm looking forward to more improvements when I get some of the HDMI cables you recommended which have still not arrived.

Regarding cabling- I have pure litz silver and pure litz copper IC cables; both close to equally revealing, with the major difference being tonality. I also have Susvara and TC headphones- so I think I'm pretty well set up.
You seem well setup. Your usb and hdmi cables could be bottlenecks, other than that, maybe there is a lack of burn-in overall. You need close to a thousand hours on each gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back