Audio-GD DI-20
Sep 2, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #3,961 of 5,351
If you say "the 5V power source", do you mean that this is already available somewhere in the DAC? If yes, where to look for it?
And about the resistor: what value and where would you put it?
Not that I will try anytime soon, just trying to understand...
5V can be found inside DAC. The best is to take from the power supply of the interface chip converting from LVDS (HDMI I2S signal lines) to the internal logic levels. It might be 3.3V, not 5V.

Resistor value is not critical, 1k to 10k will do. If wires go outside the case (to the external switch), 10nF film cap can be added in parallel to the ground, it will prevent triggering false detection of a noise.

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #3,962 of 5,351
5V can be found inside DAC. The best is to take from the power supply of the interface chip converting from LVDS (HDMI I2S signal lines) to the internal logic levels. It might be 3.3V, not 5V.

Resistor value is not critical, 1k to 10k will do. If wires go outside the case (to the external switch), 10nF film cap can be added in parallel to the ground, it will prevent triggering false detection of a noise.
Do you mean also to add a switch to force the dsd mode manually? Not very convenient. :)

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #3,963 of 5,351

Thanks! A bit daunting for me now -- without looking the the actual device -- but this info may come in handy in future.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #3,964 of 5,351
Do you mean also to add a switch to force the dsd mode manually? Not very convenient. :)
Not that inconvenient if everything is converted to DSD on the PC. Many Delta-Sigma users use this trick, as in some cases it allows to bypass couple stages of internal processing, giving better sound in result.

I even got a spark about suggesting Kingwa such option for DI-20, but I am R2R NOS user and play original source as it is, so it escaped my memory.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #3,965 of 5,351
Not that inconvenient if everything is converted to DSD on the PC. Many Delta-Sigma users use this trick, as in some cases it allows to bypass couple stages of internal processing, giving better sound in result.

I even got a spark about suggesting Kingwa such option for DI-20, but I am R2R NOS user and play original source as it is, so it escaped my memory.
Same here. I listen to old stuff (PCM). R2R is the best solution for me.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #3,966 of 5,351
Same here. I listen to old stuff (PCM). R2R is the best solution for me.

Here even jazz from 1928 is upsampled to DSD. Amazing how good some of these recordings are, f.i. those on the Okeh label.
I am sure it is setup dependent, but DSD here is more open, pristine, aristocratic, a bit cooler. I understand that many prefer PCM which to my ears is a tad warmer, but also more closed in. Of course the words we use already show our bias... Will it be champagne (DSD) or chocolate (PCM)? Both delicious.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #3,967 of 5,351
I am sure it is setup dependent, but DSD here is more open, pristine, aristocratic, a bit cooler.
Absolut!
With my Pro iDSD i prefer DSD, upsampling with HQPlayer, with my R28, i prefer PCM.
R2R with DSD sounds lifeless, in my opinion.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #3,968 of 5,351
Absolut!
With my Pro iDSD i prefer DSD, upsampling with HQPlayer, with my R28, i prefer PCM.
The same. DSD sounds better on Delta-Sigma DACs, but a key difference gives R2R DAC, then an advantage of DSD is blown away.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #3,969 of 5,351
The same. DSD sounds better on Delta-Sigma DACs, but a key difference gives R2R DAC, then an advantage of DSD is blown away.

I forgot to say that I am now using a Merging Hapi DAC with Ravenna and DSD256. Very D/S indeed! Best DSD I have experienced so far.
And I also preferred DSD with Lampizator and Holo Audio Spring 3 L2. WIth Denafrips Terminator and Musician Pegasus, however, I found it difficult to decide between PCM and DSD.

I will soon add an R2R DAC to stay sane. Likely one with a 10 MHz clock input :) Ogling a Gustard R26 -- hoping that it will work with the DI-20HE (research ongoing).

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #3,970 of 5,351
I will soon add an R2R DAC to stay sane. Likely one with a 10 MHz clock input :) Ogling a Gustard R26 -- hoping that it will work with the DI-20HE (research ongoing).

Skip the Gustard, and go to Audio-GD R28, or better, R27 :)

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #3,972 of 5,351
Can you elaborate a bit? Indeed I have been looking at these also, and even at the R7HE. Have you compared Gustard with the Audio-gd ones?

I haven't compared the units side by side yet, but have had a few units from Gustard in the past.
The build quality of the Audio-GD units is outstanding, and the sound is just stunning - no other manufacturer has convinced me like this in the past, and I have tried many, including various units from Denafrips, but none have lasted long.

My ifi stack (Pro iDSD & Pro iCAN ) has been collecting dust since I got the R28 :)

I want the 2nd DAC to excel at R2R and DSD.
I think R2R and DSD do not fit together technically.
As written above, I love DSD upsampling with my Pro iDSD, but with the R28 I don't like it at all.
As far as I read here in the forum, actually also almost all Holo Audio DAC owners use PCM exclusively.

But at the end of the day, it's all a matter of taste. :)

With me and Audio-GD it was love at first sight - or rather, at first sound. :D

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3,973 of 5,351
With me and Audio-GD it was love at first sight - or rather, at first sound. :D

I am a great Audio-gd fan also! The DI-20HE and Vacuum HE-1 XLR are center pieces in my setup.
Perhaps I will end up with an Audio-gd DAC also, but I must admit I am intrigued by the ethernet input of the Gustard R26.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #3,974 of 5,351
I am a great Audio-gd fan also! The DI-20HE and Vacuum HE-1 XLR are center pieces in my setup.
Perhaps I will end up with an Audio-gd DAC also, but I must admit I am intrigued by the ethernet input of the Gustard R26.
It is great feature, but you already have DI-20. Therefore adding dedicated RPi 4 based network streamer is better option.

BTW, From the Audio GD DAC range, the lowest model with 10MHz external clock support is R-8Mk2. Affordable. :)

Sep 3, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,975 of 5,351
Absolut!

I listen to a fair amount of DSD, usually SACD ISO via foobar2000 over my R8 MK2. It sounds great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back