Audio-GD DI-20
Nov 30, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #168 of 5,343
A board admin of Kingwa's web forum, "尘事" compared I2S and ACSS coaxial output of DI-20(DI-20HE? He haven't mentioned this in the post)
http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&id=31359&page=1&star=2

Based on google translate, a little bit modification to fit the original Chinese meaning.

The difference between I2S and ACSS :
1. When having I2S output, the sound is delicate and soft.
2. When having ACSS output, the sound is like the sunlight, and more powerful, but it is not rough and noisy.
3. ACSS is relatively calm in complex scenes, and has a good physical appearance.

The above BNC coaxial cable is about 200rmb. The HDMI cable is a gift from a friend. The price is unknown. It is a 1.5 meters AQ cable. And another HDMI cable is a 10rmb and 0.5 meters Yamazawa cable. I will try the more expensive HDMI cable later.

(1 USD for about 7 rmb.)

"闻鸡起舞" replied to this post about the comparison and cables:

The two output methods are almost the same with your impression. My coaxial cable is from Audio-gd and my HDMI cable is a 50cm long, MPS brand, model 280.

(The MPS 280 is MPS HD-280. This 50cm long cable sells $71 in aliexpress.com.)

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #170 of 5,343
A board admin of Kingwa's web forum, "尘事" compared I2S and ACSS coaxial output of DI-20(DI-20HE? He haven't mentioned this in the post)
http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&id=31359&page=1&star=2

Based on google translate, a little bit modification to fit the original Chinese meaning.

The difference between I2S and ACSS :
1. When having I2S output, the sound is delicate and soft.
2. When having ACSS output, the sound is like the sunlight, and more powerful, but it is not rough and noisy.
3. ACSS is relatively calm in complex scenes, and has a good physical appearance.

The above BNC coaxial cable is about 200rmb. The HDMI cable is a gift from a friend. The price is unknown. It is a 1.5 meters AQ cable. And another HDMI cable is a 10rmb and 0.5 meters Yamazawa cable. I will try the more expensive HDMI cable later.

(1 USD for about 7 rmb.)

"闻鸡起舞" replied to this post about the comparison and cables:

The two output methods are almost the same with your impression. My coaxial cable is from Audio-gd and my HDMI cable is a 50cm long, MPS brand, model 280.

(The MPS 280 is MPS HD-280. This 50cm long cable sells $71 in aliexpress.com.)
I guess similar impressions with the u16, again comparing bnc vs i2s. I think bnc is smoother, punchier, more relax. But bassier too. The i2s out on the u16 is quite a bit inferior to bnc.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #171 of 5,343
I guess similar impressions with the u16, again comparing bnc vs i2s. I think bnc is smoother, punchier, more relax. But bassier too. The i2s out on the u16 is quite a bit inferior to bnc.
This is surprising to me... If you do not mind, what length and model BNC cable are you using?

I need give this a try again.. also good to arrange a good BNC cable for the future DI-20 purchase...

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #172 of 5,343
Nov 30, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #173 of 5,343
This is surprising to me... If you do not mind, what length and model BNC cable are you using?

I need give this a try again.. also good to arrange a good BNC cable for the future DI-20 purchase...
I just have a short dhlab, 0.5m, which is not ideal. The cable brings its signature of course. Also, i think comparisons have to be redone with the parallel and fully asynch. firmwares for those who haven't. I plan on getting a better bnc at some point too cause of course they make a difference.

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #174 of 5,343
I think bnc is smoother, punchier, more relax. But bassier too.
wow I'm all confused. So you've been using your U16 on BNC (192khz) and not i2s all this time? Were you using an ACSS cable, a BNC cable, or BNC adapters on a coax cable (which always sounded the worst whenever I tried it)?

I see ACSS is not just for analog anymore. Can I enjoy it's benefits by using the existing BNC out of a U16 or SU1 into the BNC input of my gen1 r2r7?
if the DI20 is needed, what DACs out there have a BNC input that can realize the ACSS benefit?

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #175 of 5,343
wow I'm all confused. So you've been using your U16 on BNC (192khz) and not i2s all this time? Were you using an ACSS cable, a BNC cable, or BNC adapters on a coax cable (which always sounded the worst whenever I tried it)?

I see ACSS is not just for analog anymore. Can I enjoy it's benefits by using the existing BNC out of a U16 or SU1 into the BNC input of my gen1 r2r7?
if the DI20 is needed, what DACs out there have a BNC input that can realize the ACSS benefit?
No the thing is the u16 has some issues with i2s (heavy pink noise upon start-up) with the latest parallel fws hence my switching to bnc. I use an actual bnc cable, without adaptors, the dh labs d-75.

The acss signal transmission is determined by the output. You need the di-20. Your dac and most dacs out there will benifit from it if connected through bnc to the new DI.

So my preference for bnc is with the dsdclk fw. I think the r7 does a splendid job with spdif.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #176 of 5,343
ACSS SPDIF is new to me as well. As Fred explained to me yesterday ACSS SPDIF output is compatible with 75 ohm voltage SPDIF inputs. I purchased (not received) a new Oyaide SPDIF cable in anticipation of trying ACSS SPDIF when the DI-20 arrives..

Kingwa mentioned a few early DI-20 users prefer I2S and some prefer ACSS SPDIF. Matter of taste. Yesterday with an old SPDIF cable I compared SU-6 HDMI I2S with regular SPDIF and I still prefer HDMI I2S with that setup (dsdclk f/w). SU-6 SPDIF is slightly warmer sounding but did not sound bad at all. So anxious to try ACSS SPDIF.

And need to mention DSD did not work over SPDIF using dsdclk f/w. OK with I2S.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #179 of 5,343
My DI-20 has been delivered early and I'm still at work, can't wait to get home and try it out.

While I don't have a U16 or SU6 to compare with, I'm very curious how the ACSS output ranks against my Audiophilleo + PurePower ($999). The Audiophilleo doesn't have regen, but it does run off low noise batteries, it's still ranked the best USB to SPDIF converter on Darko's website, tie with Empirical Off Ramp 5.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #180 of 5,343
My DI-20 has been delivered early and I'm still at work, can't wait to get home and try it out.

While I don't have a U16 or SU6 to compare with, I'm very curious how the ACSS output ranks against my Audiophilleo + PurePower ($999). The Audiophilleo doesn't have regen, but it does run off low noise batteries, it's still ranked the best USB to SPDIF converter on Darko's website, tie with Empirical Off Ramp 5.
Darko is lagging. I have owned the Audiophileo with pure power, a long time ago. The u16 beats easily IMO, unless serious improvement were made to it since 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back