Audio GD C2C
Oct 23, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #526 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPACEACE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But recently some of the reviews have been getting worse. Pot problems, leds not working, even a doa machine. It' seems to me maybe Audio-Gd might be overworked and the product is slipping? OR! Audio-Gd is a victim of the FOTM that's just lasted alot longer?
I don't know but it seems I might be looking for a few other products. I don't want to go down the road of trying to find a better product once again only to find out it's really lacking. $400, S.S no tubes... anymore help???

You know, that's something I've been wondering ever since I engaged in a desktop amp/dac search because the feedback tended to be flaky or is an unanswerable rhetoric. The only problem was that the competition doesn't seem to be any more conclusive either, unless you go for the older establishments. This transpired to be the inherent problem I encountered throughout this entire process regardless of my choice.

Then it's a question of what type of risks I want to take: 1- Go for the established old offerings, which is safest. 2- Hardly discussed offerings, which is riskiest. 3- Take the middle way, then take whatever appears to offer a good value.

The way I see it, at under $500 mark something has to give, and an added flavour to the unknowns going the chinese way. The question is whether I can tolerate the weakness to enjoy the upped strength, against the price tag. This is a calculated gamble much like buying a house, while rationalizing what little quantifiable I can find. My heavy-handed questioning in this thread is to gain some understanding of the methodology to deal with the known issues. Plenty of time to wait before it arrives anyway.

So we'll see how it goes, because this is a roll of a dice in the wild end here and curiosity is killing me. Provided that the volume pot is usable, I'll acclimatize myself to C2C for about half a year before looking up to ~$1000 upward mark. Getting to a staggered upgrade between amp and dac is where I'm headed.

userlander:

On a side note - never mind Jade as that's plausible - moving from RM-1 to D10 was obvious to me in clarity even with the stock amp (but it doesn't 'oomph' so you may opine differently). With Denon CDP and 19MK3 on the back end, C2C should have no (or less) excuse to sound similar/same to D10. If the difference isn't obvious after 3 weeks of aging, then naturally I'll be compelled to A-B them through DAC19. If it comes to that. I would've never even contemplated such a scenario previously.

Now, if only these pandora boxes would get shipped and reach me already! I bet it'll get stuck at the customs as well, curse me.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #528 of 657
Please keep in mind that the source of your system can make or break a system. The C-2C scales well with source improvements and will for the most part reward your investment with a clear window onto that source (more or less). What can't be changed is what has been discussed recently, amp voicing and personality. If your a tube guy, your a tube guy but if neutrality is not your preference then look elsewhere.

Cabling/power quality plays a fairly important role here as well even though such subjects attract some extreme viewpoints for and against such things. A reasonable quality mains/signal cabling package is generally acceptable or good enough IMO. Recording quality is also a major factor...something to keep in mind when evaluating any piece of gear although I'm sure the good lads posting in this thread may already know such things
smily_headphones1.gif

My unit has been a reliable and consistent daily performer for over 7 months now FWIW.

Peete.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #529 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please keep in mind that the source of your system can make or break a system. The C-2C scales well with source improvements and will for the most part reward your investment with a clear window onto that source (more or less). What can't be changed is what has been discussed recently, amp voicing and personality. If your a tube guy, your a tube guy but if neutrality is not your preference then look elsewhere.

Cabling/power quality plays a fairly important role here as well even though such subjects attract some extreme viewpoints for and against such things. A reasonable quality mains/signal cabling package is generally acceptable or good enough IMO. Recording quality is also a major factor...something to keep in mind when evaluating any piece of gear although I'm sure the good lads posting in this thread may already know such things
smily_headphones1.gif

My unit has been a reliable and consistent daily performer for over 7 months now FWIW.

Peete.

I'm trying to find the warmest DAC I can for it, which right now (within my budget) seems to be the V-Dac. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #530 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to find the warmest DAC I can for it, which right now (within my budget) seems to be the V-Dac. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not sure trying to find a heavily colored DAC is the best road to take. if you should decide to go with a tube amp and sell the C-2C the DAC may be a really bad fit with your choice of tube amp.

My advice is buy the best quality DAC new or used your budget can allow for. A Parasound DAC1100 HD is a perfect fit for you IMO but the A-gd DAC19MK3 is also of the same vein as the Parasound.

This one is a terrific DAC AudiogoN ForSale: Sonic Frontiers sfd 1 mkll if you can stretch your budget a little.

Another good one AudiogoN ForSale: Monarchy 22

This guy AudiogoN ForSale: MHDT Paradisea Tube Dac

Another AudiogoN ForSale: Theta Chroma 396

Of the ones mentioned try and find the Parasound 1100HD if you can but the SFD -1 MK II is a killer DAC.

Peete.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #531 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure trying to find a heavily colored DAC is the best road to take. if you should decide to go with a tube amp and sell the C-2C the DAC may be a really bad fit with your choice of tube amp.

My advice is buy the best quality DAC new or used your budget can allow for. A Parasound DAC1100 HD is a perfect fit for you IMO but the A-gd DAC19MK3 is also of the same vein as the Parasound.

This one is a terrific DAC AudiogoN ForSale: Sonic Frontiers sfd 1 mkll if you can stretch your budget a little.

Another good one AudiogoN ForSale: Monarchy 22

This guy AudiogoN ForSale: MHDT Paradisea Tube Dac

Another AudiogoN ForSale: Theta Chroma 396

Of the ones mentioned try and find the Parasound 1100HD if you can but the SFD -1 MK II is a killer DAC.

Peete.

Thanks! I hadn't even heard of most of those. cheers

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #532 of 657
After reading through all the posts I think I am pretty much decided on getting the c2c/19mk3 combo....now the question is, would you guys recommend that I get the volume knob upgrade or just stay with the old knob?

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #533 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by zmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading through all the posts I think I am pretty much decided on getting the c2c/19mk3 combo....now the question is, would you guys recommend that I get the volume knob upgrade or just stay with the old knob?

Definitely upgrade. In it's current mode volume operation the quality of the attenuating resistor is crucial. Not to mention better channel balance and +6dB s/n increase.

If I may suggest - do also ask for ACSS outputs on 19mk3 and ACSS inputs on C-2C and invest further $15 on ACSS interconnects.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #535 of 657
Quote:

Definately skip the new knob.

It's a piece of junk.

Oct 26, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #536 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely upgrade. In it's current mode volume operation the quality of the attenuating resistor is crucial. Not to mention better channel balance and +6dB s/n increase.

If I may suggest - do also ask for ACSS outputs on 19mk3 and ACSS inputs on C-2C and invest further $15 on ACSS interconnects.

Thanks. So if I do get the ACSS outputs/inputs, do you know if that would make these two units exclusive to each other - I wont be able to connect the DAC to a different amp or the amp to different DAC?

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #537 of 657
Quote:

Thanks. So if I do get the ACSS outputs/inputs, do you know if that would make these two units exclusive to each other - I wont be able to connect the DAC to a different amp or the amp to different DAC?

Yes, they will be exclusive with each other - throught this (half) ACSS connectors.

But you will still have a pair of RCA outputs from 19mk3 and RCA or XLR inputs on C-2C for different amp/DAC connectivity.

Oct 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #538 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recommend this too. Will save any worry about interconnect quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definately skip the new knob.

It's a piece of junk.

I wouldn't go that far, they just aren't always pleasant to use, even on very expensive amps.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #540 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Kingwa can actually do that? How hard is it to do, I might want to do it on my dac19mk3 to phoenix
tongue.gif

While 19mk3 and C-2C can be paired with ACSS cables, Phoenix and 19mk3 can not.

How come?

Thing is, both 19mk3 and C-2C have just 2 channels (L & R) and they both use current mode amplification (ACSS) so they can both be fitted with ACSS connectors. Such implementation would not be a proper balanced ACSS connection because it would use just "half" wires, but since both ends would be "halved" - it would work.

On the other hand, Phoneix is a proper balanced headamp/preamp with 4 channels (L+, L-, R+ & R-). To use ACSS input with Phoenix you need "full" ACSS link. Bastardised "half" ACSS current feed from 19mk3 would just not do for Phoenix. To drive such a beast directly in current mode you are limited to: DAC-9mk2, Reference Two and Reference One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back