Audio GD C2C
Mar 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #31 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were no excessive highs. I'd just encountered a known problem with the modified Denon D5000, which is sibilance on some tracks. There are no issues with my HD-600s and the highs, which sound great. I don't know if the circuit on the upgraded C2C I'm receiving is a permanent modification or not. I'll have to ask Kingwa.

Curra, could you describe the sound signature of your modified D5000 amped with the C2C? Also, how does the modified D5000 compare with the HD650, in your opinion?

Mar 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #32 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wrote a review on it here.

Yeah, I've read it before some time back but didn't Kingwa just upgrade the C2C? I guess my main concern is does the review still apply with newer version?

Thanks anyway though for the link, it's time to freshen up my memories.

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #33 of 657
Listening Impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Most of what Im going to say would be compared to my previous reference, IPOD + mini^3, yes I know its a very unfair comparison, but it's what I have right here with me
smily_headphones1.gif

In general, desktop amp > portable amp as most of us will know
smily_headphones1.gif
So I won't have to say which one won
smily_headphones1.gif

alsa.png

Desktop PC (Ubuntu/Amarok/ALSA) --> FLAC --> USB --> Stello DA100 (Upsample to 192) --> RCA --> Audio GD C-2C

VS

Ipod 60 GB 5th gen (Rockbox/Lineout) --> FLAC --> Ferds' LOD --> Mini^3 (high performance version)

dsc7933resized.jpg

I don't listen too loud, just volume matched by ear. I used songs that I think are considered the headphones specialty genre, or basically the genre I like to use them with
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's start
smily_headphones1.gif
My apologies as Im not that good in describing sound so this is just going to be short
smily_headphones1.gif

----------------------------
Koss Porta Pro

dsc7908resized.jpg

Yes I tested the Koss for fun. There was improvement in bass control. However I felt there wasn't much difference with the portable setup. My "enjoyment" was equal for both setups. If the porta pro were my only cans, I could live with just the portable setup. This just basically means (for me) that the Porta Pro did not scale up with my desktop upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

----------------------------
Etymotic ER4S

dsc7938resized.jpg

I could also be just happy with the er4s + portable setup. There was improvement with regards to headstage. Detail wise, I think they provided the same (this is the benchmark that is important to me when it comes to the etymotics). I think the biggest benefit for the er4s was that it didn't sound as clinical as it does with the mini^3, but this reason would not be enough for me to reach out for er4s when Im at home
smily_headphones1.gif

---------------------------
AKG K701

dsc7913resized.jpg

This was the first headphone I listened to because I wanted to hear that massive soundstage I previously heard when I auditioned a beta 22. And yes there it was. Instrument separation was excellent. I was listening to "Sabre Dance from Gayaneh" and I felt finally, with the K701 all the instruments are finally alive. The C-2C can definitely drive this can!

I also like listening to Stacey Kent when I have the K701 on. Using my favorite "The Ice Hotel", the main difference I found was that everything in the background around Stacey's vocal are now more emphasized or should I say easier to appreciate
smily_headphones1.gif

--------------------------
Grado RS-1

dsc7917resized.jpg

Among my headphones, I think this is the easiest one to drive as even the mini^3 can drive this to a deafening level. But still with the mini^3 the grado sounds very small soundstage wise. The C-2C just opens this up though not as wide as the K701 or the HD650. I find the RS-1 more engaging and more upfront with the desktop setup. Detail is superb. With the juice the C-2C is feeding the grado, the mids are even more emphasized, I guess this is the reason why I found this to be more engaging.
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened to some Led Zeppelin, The Brilliant Green and YUI for the RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheiser HD650

dsc7914resized.jpg

It was a pleasant surprise when I used the HD650. The sound signature of being in the back row is still noticeable (especially after using the RS-1). Of the headphones I listened to, I would have to hand the "most improved headphone with the C-2C" award to the HD650, because they really sound "different" now. It doesn't sound as slow as before. I'm getting the right amount of bass control and impact that I want. This is one headphone I probably will not use with the mini^3 again
smily_headphones1.gif

I repeatedly listened to one of my favorite Jpop track (Buono! - Kokoro no Tamago) and found the mids and dynamics very fluid. I could also say the same after listening to Morning Musume - As For One Day
smily_headphones1.gif
I listened to a lot of Jpop for the HD650
smily_headphones1.gif

In conclusion, getting this desktop setup is definitely a very good investement for me, as I am enjoying my music more
smily_headphones1.gif
If you were to ask which one I liked best, my anwser would be "well it depends on the genre." That's the reason why I'm keeping all 3 of my fullsized headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #34 of 657
Nice little review Insyte! Glad you're enjoying your C-2C
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't mind I'd like to ask a question to you or anyone else with a C-2C. When you first got it were you able to turn the volume up more and as the unit burned in it got louder? I Just received my C-2C today and was surprised when I first tried it out that I could quite easily max the volume out using my HD650's. I am using using a Denon DVD-2910 as my source.

I was supposed to receive a DAC19 with my shipment but it was nowhere to be found
frown.gif
. My package was also opened by customs and was not sealed properly. There is a pretty nice dent on the left front panel...

I should also mention that there is absolutely no gain in volume between 3/4 and full volume. Is this normal?

Thanks for any input guys!

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #35 of 657
Thanks adamjames37
smily_headphones1.gif

With the HD650's I dont go beyond the 11 o'clock position, Im already comfortable at around the 9 o'clock position when using my transport connected to the DAC (an ordinary next base dvd player). I usually also set it at this position when using usb input from the pc.

I lowered the volume on amarok to 15% (normally I set it at 100%) so I could turn the volume knob all the way. Yup there is very little gain at around 4 o'clock to the 6 o'clock position. I think this is normal. But under normal usage I don't find the need to turn it all the way.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I think I might lower the volume on Amarok lower so I could use the volume knob more, though this might be dangerous if I suddenly switch inputs to the transport and forget to adjust the volume on the C-2C
smily_headphones1.gif

Any news on your DAC19? It could have been shipped separately
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #36 of 657
Thanks for replying Insyte. I emailed Kingwa and was told that my DAC19 will ship out next Monday. The manufacture times are longer for the DAC19 and I guess Kingwa forgot to mention he would be shipping only the C-2C for this shipment. I hope DHL doesn't dent the DAC19 too! I almost want to ask Kingwa if I can purchase a new faceplate for the C-2C...

The C-2C is starting to sound really nice now since it has been running for a few hours. I tried playing some more modern CD's which are much more compressed and recorded louder and the volume is quite loud. I think it's me who has the problem as I do like my music fairly loud. What I notice is that the sound is non-fatiguing which makes it seem like the music isn't as loud but the dynamics are huge and remind me that there is plenty of volume.

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #38 of 657
I have to say I'm really enjoying the C-2C now. I can tell it is going through some burn in phases and keeps sounding better and better. I also find I don't need to turn the volume up as much now. The dynamics and sound stage are incredible! I can't wait to hear how the DAC19 will add to the already stunning sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

I emailed Cherry yesterday and asked if I could purchase a new front panel for the C-2C. I received a reply within minutes and was told I could purchase a new one for $10 and that a new volume control is $3! I went ahead and bought the panel which will be included in my DAC19 shipment with no extra shipping cost. It's nice to know Audio-gd is willing to sell virtually any individual part at a fair price.

As for my ears... well... I've already ruined them
frown.gif
. I used to sit in my room with 8000 watts of JBL loudspeakers blaring in front of me. I told you I had issues!

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #40 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamjames37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say I'm really enjoying the C-2C now. I can tell it is going through some burn in phases and keeps sounding better and better. I also find I don't need to turn the volume up as much now. The dynamics and sound stage are incredible! I can't wait to hear how the DAC19 will add to the already stunning sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

I emailed Cherry yesterday and asked if I could purchase a new front panel for the C-2C. I received a reply within minutes and was told I could purchase a new one for $10 and that a new volume control is $3! I went ahead and bought the panel which will be included in my DAC19 shipment with no extra shipping cost. It's nice to know Audio-gd is willing to sell virtually any individual part at a fair price.

As for my ears... well... I've already ruined them
frown.gif
. I used to sit in my room with 8000 watts of JBL loudspeakers blaring in front of me. I told you I had issues!

Ah Audio GD is really nice for selling you the front panel.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am also awaiting your DAC19 impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #41 of 657
I'm glad my hearing isn't ruined. I've only once in my life been to a concert, so even with HD-600s, I don't turn the volume up very high on the C2C -- not much past 9 o'clock. I'm rather scared that anyone could max it out! Upgrading your DAC will be another huge jump for sure. I'm also looking forward to your impressions.

insyte: Thanks for your impressions. I think you did a good job describing what you were hearing.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #43 of 657
I will be receiving one of these for review - looking forward to it.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #44 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be receiving one of these for review - looking forward to it.

Great! We'll finally have an idea how it compares to other amps, and, not to mention, what it's like with Beyers.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #45 of 657
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adam, what phones are you using?

Do report back on the DAC19! I'm looking to upgrade my Zero to that, heh.

I'm using HD650's and was previously using a Zero with Earth HDAM and a Little Dot MKV. I don't have the DAC or amp anymore so I can only compare the changes using the C-2C and going from a Denon-2910 as the source to the DAC19. Well, actually, I gave my Zero to a friend so I suppose I could borrow it to make a comparison. I will be sure to let you guys know my impressions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Curra, I have to say I am jealous of your well cared for ears. I really regret ruining my hearing... The differences between my left ear and right ear are ridiculous. I do find that I've been recently turning the volume down on the C-2C more and more so hopefully I can learn to listen at moderate levels. The reason I crank the volume so much is for the increased perceived dynamics but I'm hoping that when paired with the DAC19 the dynamics will be so good at low volumes that I wont have the urge to crank it and can start taking better care of my ears!

Oh, one last thing! The main difference I've noticed going from the MKV to the C-2C (besides increased dynamics and sound stage) is increased fullness. I guess in a way this can be attributed to a greater sound stage but I always felt the MKV had good sound stage but that it was lacking something. The MKV could sound very full and detailed but very flat and compressed at the same time if that makes any sense. As an example, voices just didn't stand out with the authority and fullness I am hearing with the C-2C. I'm thinking the large amount of current the C-2C outputs compared to the MKV is what's causing these differences and the MKV just didn't output enough current to pull it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back