Audinst AMP-HP: impressions and reviews
Jun 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #16 of 74

Quote:
Take a picture of it hooked up with your source! 
biggrin.gif

For a sense of scale?

I will when I get a chance. Didn't think to do that at the time.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 74
I've got one coming soon. I'll do a comparison to the TTVJ Slim and hopefully the HeadStage Arrow :)

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 74
Sorry but that hump is a horrible design.  They got some AA battery crammed in there?  Should be interesting to hear how it compares to the Arrow using the same opamps.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 74
I was accepted as a reviewer, yayhoo!

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 74

Quote:
Sorry but that hump is a horrible design.  They got some AA battery crammed in there?  Should be interesting to hear how it compares to the Arrow using the same opamps.

I have an Arrow coming soon, so I'll have a comparison hopefully :)

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #25 of 74

Quote:

I've gone back and forth on it. When I first saw the pictures I thought it looked kind of unique and attractive from a visual standpoint. Then I started considering ergonomics and thought it might be annoying. When I actually received the amp I was surprised by how small it is, so I figured the bump wouldn't matter. But then I started using the amp and it does get in the way just a little.

The flat side is obviously going to have your source against it. So the bump side is always going to protrude. I'll open the case when I get a chance so I can see what is going on inside that requires the bump.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #26 of 74
Hmm, it says it has a 300 ohm output. Has anyone tried the Audinst Desktop amp? That's 600 ohms of power, I wonder what it can drive...

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #27 of 74

Quote:
Hmm, it says it has a 300 ohm output. Has anyone tried the Audinst Desktop amp? That's 600 ohms of power, I wonder what it can drive...

I'm not sure you are using the terminology correctly. AMP-HP is listed as being able to drive 32 ohm through 300 ohm headphones. HUD-mx1 also included 600 ohm headphones. AMP-HP has an output impedance of 5 ohms.

The only actual power rating they list is 300mW per channel into a 32 ohm load. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #28 of 74

Quote:
I'm not sure you are using the terminology correctly. AMP-HP is listed as being able to drive 32 ohm through 300 ohm headphones. HUD-mx1 also included 600 ohm headphones. AMP-HP has an output impedance of 5 ohms.

The only actual power rating they list is 300mW per channel into a 32 ohm load. 

Yeah, I screwed up, I'm just now learning all of this terminology. :)

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #29 of 74
Look what arrived! I'll open is soon, not yet though :wink:

Jul 1, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #30 of 74
Cool! Let us know what you think. I haven't had a ton of time to spend with mine yet, mostly burning it in. My very rough, very initial impressions are that it is fairly neutral and transparent and sounds quite nice.... but it will take a lot of listening to really figure it out.

I did pop the case yesterday to see the interior. It looks well laid out in my amateur opinion. It also seems that the "hump" in the case is mostly functional, and necessary:

There are some capacitors there on on end and the Alps pot on the other side. If there was no hump, they would not fit at all. The hump could be a little smaller, or more flat on top, but it wouldn't make it much more pocket friendly. Also I suspect they wanted a certain amount of clearance above the caps. So the controversial hump is there for a reason. 

This is how I'll mostly be using the AMP-HP: QLS QA-350 player, line out to the Audinst, powering the 1964-T customs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back