Audeze vs. Hifiman Orthos with respect to lisening taste
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
Here is an admittedly crude poll, a start. But it might get some thinking going, and might lead to more interesting future polls.

MULTIPLE ANSWERS ARE PERMITTED, it's easy to imagine someone fitting in multiple categories... so you can say something like "I'm acostic with the Audeze and electronic with the Hifiman"

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 47
I voted Electric Audeze. I'd like to hear the HE-6 again some time but from the personal time I spent with the HE-500, and the small amount of time I spent with the HE-6 I still preferred my LCD 2.2 (wasn't a huge fan of the Rev 1).

The Hifiman cans definitely get a nod for better comfort and stock cables though...and looks. The massively angled pads of the LCD series always bugged me a bit.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 47
it is as simple as that, the Audeze is Darker with lusher sound and vice versa which gives hifiman more air and sound stage, and that means thick thumping bass vs smooth articulated treble, choose your cop of tea. also i remember reading a couple of posts that said the Audezes is a tad more resolving than the hifimans except for the HE-6.

i don't have either one of these and correct me if i'm wrong but this is what i learned from this forum.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 47
Please avoid posting about gear you haven't heard. You do get more air and better soundstage but being orthos they both suffer from fairly poor staging, IMO. 

Quote:
it is as simple as that, the Audeze is Darker with lusher sound and vice versa which gives hifiman more air and sound stage, and that means thick thumping bass vs smooth articulated treble, choose your cop of tea. also i remember reading a couple of posts that said the Audezes is a tad more resolving than the hifimans except for the HE-6.

i don't have either one of these and correct me if i'm wrong but this is what i learned from this forum.

I'd hope so considering the LCD 2 is more than double the price of the HE400. :D

Quote:
I have only tried the HE-400 and the LCD-2 is in every way better than the HE-400.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 47
Please avoid posting about gear you haven't heard. You do get more air and better soundstage but being orthos they both suffer from fairly poor staging, IMO. 

Not so with a "properly" driven he6. One of best I ever listened to when it comes to sound staging and especially imaging. Not so when driven with less than 6 to 8 watts.

And to further add, I consider the lcd3 and he6 1a and 1b. I love them both, slightly preferring the he6. But they are the two best I've ever listened to and that included .... Hd800, r10, t1, l3000.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 47
Polls are so useless with regards to headphones in my opinion. Personal taste plays such a huge factor in it. For example, I much prefer the LCD2s compared to the HE-6 whereas my friend is the complete opposite.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

I'd hope so considering the LCD 2 is more than double the price of the HE400. :D

Hey, you've probably seen me posting in the Hifiman threads lately.  I've the HE-6 and HE-500s on demo right now, but have not heard the LCD-2s in a while.  My dad actually has ordered a pair of the LCD-2s that should be showing up next week while I still have the HE's on demo, so we will be doing a comparison of the HE-500, HE-6, HD700, and LCD-2.  I do agree with your comment about staging.  I'm finding that to be a very strong weakness of the Hifimans (and possibly the LCD-2s also, if you say this trait is common to all orthos).  I'm not sure that is something I can live with.  I would have to have a good staging can like the HD700s, and a cheaper ortho like the HE-500s for what I'm in the mood.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:
Polls are so useless with regards to headphones in my opinion. Personal taste plays such a huge factor in it. For example, I much prefer the LCD2s compared to the HE-6 whereas my friend is the complete opposite.

But it's personal taste that this poll is about..??

Anyways... I'm gonna have to go with the Audeze. Been living with the HE500's and LCD2's for the past month and the LCD2's are more enjoyable, and its not just about the bass. The bass is nice, tight and deep but its the mids that are swinging it in their direction. They are more tangible, instruments sound more life like and are separated better. I love the imaging on the LCD's, no matter how complicated the music is, they never seem to struggle - everything stays in the right place and is clearly defined. The hifimans on the hand, have a slight midbass hump and although this can be a nice attribute with some music, it can also make them sound a little messy when the going gets tough. The top end on the HE500's is sweeter and lighter than the Audeze but can also bring a little annoyance on certain music types (e.g brass on older recordings).
This is imo and my preference here, not trying to be objective at all. I'm at a point now where I can see myself being very happy for a long time with the LCD2's, every type of music or recording I throw at them sounds good.. and there's not many headphones can do that.  
(I listen mainly to Jazz and Classical) 

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 47
I"m an acoustic guy. I owned both at the same time and really preferred the LCD2.2s. I actually just gave the HE500s to my daughter. I just don't like the HiFi mans. Maybe it's my 59 year old ears.

Nov 23, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:
What about them did you not like

Too bright for me. I also tried the He6 at a meet.(Yes, they were very well powered) and feel the same way. I just like a darker phone. I like the bass better on the lcds also. The lcds are just easier to listen to, although for detailed listening the HiFi mans are better.Poorly encoded music(which I have some) is unlistenable on the hifi mans. JMO

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #15 of 47
I have only tried the HE-400 and the LCD-2 is in every way better than the HE-400.

Sorry to cue in here..the only fair comparision with the lcd2 is the he500 in my opinion..and to my ears they go shoulder to shoulder..only lcd goes deeper where the he500 has better mids and more velvetly highs..but are both excellent cans.
The he400 s not a bad cann..but its nowhere close to the above mentioned cans complete sound quality concerned...i know..as i owned the he300/400 and now the 500 and listened at a meet last sunday to the he6/lcd2/lcd3

In a prior post somebody said something that the soundstage and seperation on the audeze lcd2 is better then the hifimans..but maybe the secret is because of the perfect formed pads they have? I actually found a thread where people modded their he500 with pads from lcd2's or lawton angled denon leather pads.with very good results in soundstage and soundquality in general..maybe i will try it too..:D

About the he6 being bright..maybe u need to try a he500..the 500 has a more warmer and fuller sound character and less etchy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back