Audeze SINE Series
Apr 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #946 of 4,785
  So how are mp3 on the Sines? :wink:

Nothing I said has anything to do with the Sines, I suggest you re-read my post and cut the snark.

Apr 29, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #948 of 4,785
A PARADOX

Ok, so I have grown to really like the Audeze Sines over the last few days.  My only remaining issue is the clamping force, which, because of the size of my head, tends to crush my ears onto my glasses frames creating a painful outcome.

So I contacted Audeze Support, and they told me that I could gently bend the headband to relieve some of the clamping pressure.  Their suggestion works well.

The paradox is, that after I have bent the headband to reduce the clamping force, putting the Audeze Sines into the carry pouch forces the headphones together and returns the clamping force to its previous painful level.

So much for the pouch.  I now need to find a replacement which will allow the headphones to maintain their (bent) shape. Any thoughts?

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #949 of 4,785
  A PARADOX

Ok, so I have grown to really like the Audeze Sines over the last few days.  My only remaining issue is the clamping force, which, because of the size of my head, tends to crush my ears onto my glasses frames creating a painful outcome.

So I contacted Audeze Support, and they told me that I could gently bend the headband to relieve some of the clamping pressure.  Their suggestion works well.

The paradox is, that after I have bent the headband to reduce the clamping force, putting the Audeze Sines into the carry pouch forces the headphones together and returns the clamping force to its previous painful level.

So much for the pouch.  I now need to find a replacement which will allow the headphones to maintain their (bent) shape. Any thoughts?

Slappa Hardbody PRO ? I use it for my woodie Fostex , just check their main site for internal dimensions.
https://slappagear.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/lghp.jpg
Those cases are fairly tough, but not 'Pelican tough' I'm guessing.

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #950 of 4,785

Slappa Hardbody PRO ? I use it for my woodie Fostex , just check their main site for internal dimensions.
https://slappagear.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/lghp.jpg
Those cases are fairly tough, but not 'Pelican tough' I'm guessing.

Thanks for your reply!

Looks really nice, but it is 5" thick.  I need something that would take the Audeze Sines lying flat, so that it will fit into my briefcase.

The DN1PRO might be the ticket, but they seem to be out of stock. 
http://www.amazon.com/DN1PRO-A-MDR-ZX770BN-Headphones-MDR-XB950AP-MDR-XB950BT/dp/B014AOJJ26/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Here is what I ended up going with.  Just a larger pouch (it is grey although it appears brown in the pictures):
http://www.amazon.com/GoodCans-Protective-Headphone-Sided-Pouch/dp/B007TM3WLQ

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #951 of 4,785
  They make it bearable but not unnoticed for me.

Like others have argued, it is very unlikely you are hearing differences between mp3 320 and flac. Sometimes I can hear a very small difference between them, but not super often. I cannot hear any difference between flac and apple 256. IMO, the flac sounds better argument is seriously overblown on headfi.

Apr 29, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #952 of 4,785
  Like others have argued, it is very unlikely you are hearing differences between mp3 320 and flac. Sometimes I can hear a very small difference between them, but not super often. I cannot hear any difference between flac and apple 256. IMO, the flac sounds better argument is seriously overblown on headfi.

+1, most people assume the difference exists, but they never test those assumptions properly.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #953 of 4,785
  Thanks for your reply!

Looks really nice, but it is 5" thick.  I need something that would take the Audeze Sines lying flat, so that it will fit into my briefcase.

The DN1PRO might be the ticket, but they seem to be out of stock. 
http://www.amazon.com/DN1PRO-A-MDR-ZX770BN-Headphones-MDR-XB950AP-MDR-XB950BT/dp/B014AOJJ26/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Here is what I ended up going with.  Just a larger pouch (it is grey although it appears brown in the pictures):
http://www.amazon.com/GoodCans-Protective-Headphone-Sided-Pouch/dp/B007TM3WLQ

Fellow SINE enthusiasts - While we're on the subject of cases for the SINE I thought I'd wade into the discussion with thoughts from my time with these great HP's with the hope that you will learn from my personal experience. 

As Mark Cohen so elegantly put it - "Congratulations! You are the first person to break the SINEs.

This happened during an "across-the-pond" European trip a few weeks ago. I had the SINEs in their "pouch" and inside my backpack, in a way I thought they were safe. Well, clearly from the above picture something happened. The funny part was that I had already selected the DN1PRO case from Amazon but hadn't received it yet. Bad timing in hindsight. 

Audeze was very cool in helping me remedy this situation, and I now have a new pair of SINEs and am back to grooving with them.

I also now have both the DN1PRO case and the Audeze EL-8 case. Here's what they both look like in comparison of size and aesthetics. (note they're about the same thickness, being made for HP's that lay flat)

Here's what the SINEs look like inside the EL-8 travel case (note that I've removed the special insert that is included to fit the EL-8's that is simply attached by Velcro). As you can see, the SINEs fit very well in the Audeze case, and it has a nice mesh panel to hold the cables. I've also used it now where I put whatever cable I'm not using at the time (either the Cypher or standard 3.5mm cable) in the pouch, and then leave the other cable attached to the SINEs - there's enough room to do so and no need to pull the cables out of the HPs. 

And here's what they look like inside the DN1PRO case. It's a bit more of a tight fit, especially with the zippered pouch in place (which is removable). The best part is the little divider that keeps the cups from touching. 

Somewhat surprisingly both cases cost the same, right under $40 here in the US. 

So which case am I using now? The Audeze EL-8 travel case - in fact I returned the DN1PRO case to Amazon. Why? I like the size of the EL-8 travel case a bit better, the handle is great and useful (compared to the overly complicated detachable shoulder strap that comes with the DN1PRO) and the Audeze graphics look nice (a bit of vanity I know). The Audeze case is also a bit lighter. Both seem to protect the SINEs well, with the Audeze case being not quite as stiff as the DN1PRO, but tons better than the pouch the SINEs come with. 

If you are going to be traveling with the SINEs, do yourself a favor and get a case like this as the sleeve does not provide any real structural protection (see picture #1 again) other than keeping things from rubbing against it. The travel cases, however should keep your SINEs from having unintentionally removable cups. Again, I'd personally recommend the Audeze EL-8 travel case, but both are good options. 

Cheers

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #954 of 4,785
Fellow SINE enthusiasts - While we're on the subject of cases for the SINE I thought I'd wade into the discussion with thoughts from my time with these great HP's with the hope that you will learn from my personal experience. 

As Mark Cohen so elegantly put it - "Congratulations! You are the first person to break the SINEs.

This happened during an "across-the-pond" European trip a few weeks ago. I had the SINEs in their "pouch" and inside my backpack, in a way I thought they were safe. Well, clearly from the above picture something happened. The funny part was that I had already selected the DN1PRO case from Amazon but hadn't received it yet. Bad timing in hindsight. 

Audeze was very cool in helping me remedy this situation, and I now have a new pair of SINEs and am back to grooving with them.

I also now have both the DN1PRO case and the Audeze EL-8 case. Here's what they both look like in comparison of size and aesthetics. (note they're about the same thickness, being made for HP's that lay flat)

Here's what the SINEs look like inside the EL-8 travel case (note that I've removed the special insert that is included to fit the EL-8's that is simply attached by Velcro). As you can see, the SINEs fit very well in the Audeze case, and it has a nice mesh panel to hold the cables. I've also used it now where I put whatever cable I'm not using at the time (either the Cypher or standard 3.5mm cable) in the pouch, and then leave the other cable attached to the SINEs - there's enough room to do so and no need to pull the cables out of the HPs. 

And here's what they look like inside the DN1PRO case. It's a bit more of a tight fit, especially with the zippered pouch in place (which is removable). The best part is the little divider that keeps the cups from touching. 

Somewhat surprisingly both cases cost the same, right under $40 here in the US. 

So which case am I using now? The Audeze EL-8 travel case - in fact I returned the DN1PRO case to Amazon. Why? I like the size of the EL-8 travel case a bit better, the handle is great and useful (compared to the overly complicated detachable shoulder strap that comes with the DN1PRO) and the Audeze graphics look nice (a bit of vanity I know). The Audeze case is also a bit lighter. Both seem to protect the SINEs well, with the Audeze case being not quite as stiff as the DN1PRO, but tons better than the pouch the SINEs come with. 

If you are going to be traveling with the SINEs, do yourself a favor and get a case like this as the sleeve does not provide any real structural protection (see picture #1 again) other than keeping things from rubbing against it. The travel cases, however should keep your SINEs from having unintentionally removable cups. Again, I'd personally recommend the Audeze EL-8 travel case, but both are good options. 

Cheers

Eeeeek! Im glad Audeze helped out, esp as a newcomer to Audeze, nothing worse than a company that sells to you, and then forgets you. That case looks too small for the EL-8 :/, or the sines are bigger than i thought.

( >_>, angry eyes towards Koss)

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #955 of 4,785
And thanks to Tyll for the idea of using the EL-8 specific insert to help keep the ear-cups of the SINEs from touching, as can be seen in this photo. This also shows how you can leave the cable attached and still fit the SINEs in the EL-8 travel case. Cheers 

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #956 of 4,785
ill just add that the DN1PRO case is excellent really good and does its job, i was nearly the second after i thought my bag was closed picked it up and the handle broke, bag open laptop and headphone case fell out about a 4ft drop on to a hard floor and were all ok, case has a bruise but thats it, Sines, Mojo and player all fine. so im really glad i had it. 

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #957 of 4,785
Hi,
Can I just ask, after seeing the above photos re- the EL-8 case: Do owners of the EL-8/C/T feel that the case is adequate to comfortably hold the EL-8s?
I've read so many folks saying they're too small so I just thought I'd ask here for any thoughts.

Many thanks.

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #959 of 4,785
How do these compare to the B&W P7...more fit wise than sound, but you can throw in sound as well for that matter lol

May 1, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #960 of 4,785
How do these compare to the B&W P7...more fit wise than sound, but you can throw in sound as well for that matter lol

I'm also interested in a comparison with P7. I found the fit of the P7 to be snug though comfortable. Its pads more or less went around my ears. If the Sine pads have an opening equal to or greater than the P7 pads, then I should find the Sine to be relatively comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back