Audeze SINE Series
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #781 of 4,785
There's a LOT of actual instrument playing in NIN tracks (the vast majority of what you hear in fact). It's just that it's usually heavily distorted and not easily recognisable as the instrument in question. There's a lot more guitar than you're initially aware of but Trent is very good at pushing the envelope and getting a guitar to sound weird as hell. Even the synths are actually played using a keyboard and programmed to incoporate speed and pressure so for all intents and purposes are just as soulful as a piano and only the most foolish purist would consider it otherwise. Incidentally, and actual piano is used rather a lot in his tracks as he's a classically trained pianist. Even when techno like percussion is used an actual drum kit with a midi interface is being used, again programmed with things like speed/attack etc. Most of what is done on computer is effects and post processing. So yeah his rock tracks are rock and his metal tracks are metal. The fact that some his tracks are electronica doesn't change the fact that his other tracks aren't.

The end section of NiN's Closer is a great example of a music that really opens up with decent equipment.  It was one of the first tracks I heard on my Sony NWZ-A3000/MDR EX300 combo (the latter's RRP was around £40, but the sound they gave was so much more) that made me want to A: Use Lame VBR V0 instead of my old codec, and B: listen to all my music again.

To this day when I play this song back on a decent set of speakers, I still get people saying "Those sounds are new aren't they?"

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #782 of 4,785
any further impressions regarding soundstage? i own a pm3, but it gets Close to no headtime, because it sounds boxy and congested regarding soundstage. is there any Chance, that the audeze would Sound a Little more open? at least the soundstage Level of an ath-msr7 is what i Need.

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #784 of 4,785
  any further impressions regarding soundstage? i own a pm3, but it gets Close to no headtime, because it sounds boxy and congested regarding soundstage. is there any Chance, that the audeze would Sound a Little more open? at least the soundstage Level of an ath-msr7 is what i Need.

The soundstage is decent to my ears, better than the PM-3. Having said that, I do not own the PM-3 or the MSR7 (demoed the PM-3 at the store) and preferred the SINE by quite a margin.
I suggest you demo the headphone first.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #785 of 4,785

I never heard the Oppo PM3, but compare the Sine to most other closed headphones I heard, I think they're quite open sounding. Especially the midrange. They're highs are not so forward but they're quite open sounding. You get a lot of detail and, the first word that comes to my mind is "energetic".

The bass is good but some songs may sound a little bass lacking (even when I add the EQ), whereas my (pre fazor) LCD-2's thicker sound compensates a little bit this issue. On the other hand, the sensitivity of the Sine, gives me a good part of the LCD but in a smaller package that works without excessive amplification - I have the feeling that the mojo is (more or less) able to get the best out of the Sine's...

Apr 14, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #786 of 4,785
thanks for your answers. i own a lcd2 fazor as well and ist soundstage is ok for an open hp, but it loses immensly in the soundstage departement, when compared to my modded k702. this and the Little bit shouty upper mids of the lcd2 is why this hp is covered with dust.

as much as i love some of the specialitys of planar magnetics, i hate their small room presentation. that is why i am afraid of ordering the sine.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #789 of 4,785
  I never heard the Oppo PM3, but compare the Sine to most other closed headphones I heard, I think they're quite open sounding. Especially the midrange. They're highs are not so forward but they're quite open sounding. You get a lot of detail and, the first word that comes to my mind is "energetic".

The bass is good but some songs may sound a little bass lacking (even when I add the EQ), whereas my (pre fazor) LCD-2's thicker sound compensates a little bit this issue. On the other hand, the sensitivity of the Sine, gives me a good part of the LCD but in a smaller package that works without excessive amplification - I have the feeling that the mojo is (more or less) able to get the best out of the Sine's...

Also a tube amp may add some low-end weight and more sound-stage with the right tubes.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #790 of 4,785
The cable angle is not a problem- Double helix already made a cable for Sine.

Looks cool! How's the strain on the SINE's given the cable plugs don't fit the square shape of the ports? Or do the silver cylindrical portions keep the cable well centered and supported? Cheers 

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #791 of 4,785
  Any thoughts on how you think they'll do during airplane travel?

Will mostly use at home and on the plane if i decide to buy.

Work fine on the plane - have done it a number of times myself already. 

If you are going to be traveling with them probably better to be safe then sorry regarding the case. I've ordered the case from Amazon that was recommended earlier, as it will likely protect the SINEs better than the soft pouch they come in. 

http://www.amazon.com/MDR-XB950AP-MDR-XB950BT-MDR-ZX750BN-Around-Ear-headphones/dp/B00U3QPJZW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Cheers 

Apr 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #792 of 4,785

The pm3 can get congested with complex music for sure. It's soundstage is small, and the combined affects can smear and confuse the music. Sine does not smear music at all. It is very clear, especially the mid range. The result is a soundstage that feels bigger than it is.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #794 of 4,785
Looks cool! How's the strain on the SINE's given the cable plugs don't fit the square shape of the ports? Or do the silver cylindrical portions keep the cable well centered and supported? Cheers 

No clue, I just found the pic somebody posted. I checked the double helix site and they are offering the cables with sine connection. But agree the angle looks kind of weird. Wonder how it looks when wearing the headphones.

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #795 of 4,785

Also a tube amp may add some low-end weight and more sound-stage with the right tubes.

Can you recommend any tube amp and tubes that can bring up the low end? Have you tried any with the Sine?

I have the Woo Audio 7 with stock tubes and default Solid State PSU and I just didn't found it "bassy" enough.
I'm not such a big EQ fan but with the sine and my DP-X1/Mojo I end up pushing a little bit the bass around the 48Hz area.
So far, for me, from the amps I tried, best is Chord Mojo for it's clean sound and bags of power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back