Audeze SINE Series
Feb 11, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3,961 of 4,783
Wondering what EQ settings to use for the EL-8? Stock is surprisingly musical. It’s clear the Titanium was given a bit of a bass boost for consumer audiophiles picking them up from the Apple Store.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #3,962 of 4,783
Wondering what EQ settings to use for the EL-8? Stock is surprisingly musical. It’s clear the Titanium was given a bit of a bass boost for consumer audiophiles picking them up from the Apple Store.

From what I understand, the bass boost is in the Cipher cable itself, not so much in the tuning of the headphones themselves. I can definitely say I hear it that way, too, comparing the regular cable with the Cipher.

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #3,963 of 4,783
From what I understand, the bass boost is in the Cipher cable itself, not so much in the tuning of the headphones themselves. I can definitely say I hear it that way, too, comparing the regular cable with the Cipher.

The one site I could find that measured FR measured a boost in the bass and treble, but they didn’t indicate whether that was with or without the cable. (It’s implied that it’s without.)

That’s true though, the Cipher EQ does add a ~ 3dB bass boost. I think these headphones may actually sound better without it. After spending more time with the EL-8 Titanium I can see the negative reviews since they have more of a consumer V-shaped tuning than an audiophile neutral tuning like Audeze’s other headphones. However, it’s a very mild V-shaped tuning that should make the headphones musical without negatively affecting the clarity.

Edit:

el-8-closed.png

This is the EL-8 Titanium, implied that it’s taken with the 3.5mm cable but not specifically stated. +3dB bass boost, and a sharp rise in the upper treble.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audeze/el-8-titanium/

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #3,964 of 4,783
The one site I could find that measured FR measured a boost in the bass and treble, but they didn’t indicate whether that was with or without the cable. (It’s implied that it’s without.)

That’s true though, the Cipher EQ does add a ~ 3dB bass boost. I think these headphones may actually sound better without it. After spending more time with the EL-8 Titanium I can see the negative reviews since they have more of a consumer V-shaped tuning than an audiophile neutral tuning like Audeze’s other headphones. However, it’s a very mild V-shaped tuning that should make the headphones musical without negatively affecting the clarity.

This is the EL-8 Titanium, implied that it’s taken with the 3.5mm cable but not specifically stated. +3dB bass boost, and a sharp rise in the upper treble.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audeze/el-8-titanium/

Hmm, my ears definitely don’t hear it, one of the first things I noted when I first listened to them (with standard cable as I didn’t have Cipher yet) was how thin they sounded in the low end. :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #3,965 of 4,783
Hmm, my ears definitely don’t hear it, one of the first things I noted when I first listened to them (with standard cable as I didn’t have Cipher yet) was how thin they sounded in the low end. :frowning2:

Personally I was looking for a neutral headphone so the Titanium with the Cipher is too V-shaped for my taste. I think the Cipher cable adds too much bass, the mids are cleaner without the bass boost. I'm using it with the 3.5mm cable plugged directly into my MacBook Pro for the first time and I'm impressed with what I'm hearing. I suspect the EL-8 Closed and the Titanium do have different frequency responses based on the FR graphs I've seen.

While I think the Sine sounded just fine with the Cipher, I think the EL-8's sound may actually be better without it. Better as in more neutral. It's a bit too upfront for my taste with the Cipher. It does get punchier and more lively though. I do care about clean mids, and I think the Cipher cable with the Titanium cable makes the bass a bit too exaggerated. The +3dB boost with the Titanium's stock tuning is enough for my taste for their purpose. Will confirm with Audeze tomorrow.

Also, don't forget: the bass is still there and reaches deep, you're just getting cleaner mids/treble response instead.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #3,966 of 4,783
Personally I was looking for a neutral headphone so the Titanium with the Cipher is too V-shaped for my taste. I think the Cipher cable adds too much bass, the mids are cleaner without the bass boost. I'm using it with the 3.5mm cable plugged directly into my MacBook Pro for the first time and I'm impressed with what I'm hearing. I suspect the EL-8 Closed and the Titanium do have different frequency responses based on the FR graphs I've seen.

While I think the Sine sounded just fine with the Cipher, I think the EL-8's sound may actually be better without it. Better as in more neutral. It's a bit too upfront for my taste with the Cipher. It does get punchier and more lively though. I do care about clean mids, and I think the Cipher cable with the Titanium cable makes the bass a bit too exaggerated. The +3dB boost with the Titanium's stock tuning is enough for my taste for their purpose. Will confirm with Audeze tomorrow.

Also, don't forget: the bass is still there and reaches deep, you're just getting cleaner mids/treble response instead.
Because I LOVE my Sine with cipher connected to my iPhone/iPod/iPad, I'm contemplating an EL-8 Titanium with cipher. Can I just correct that V-shape with the Audeze app by raising the midrange?

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #3,967 of 4,783
I've been doing some proper side-by-side comparisons with the EL-8 Titanium Cipher and 3.5mm and the Cipher does provide more detailed, engaging, open sound. Vocals stand out but I don't think the mids are the absolute cleanest I've heard since it does have a V-shaped presentation likely more suited to consumer audiophiles.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #3,968 of 4,783
Because I LOVE my Sine with cipher connected to my iPhone/iPod/iPad, I'm contemplating an EL-8 Titanium with cipher. Can I just correct that V-shape with the Audeze app by raising the midrange?

I tried raising 1Hz-4Hz by 3dB and that does help clear up the v-shape to make it a more neutral headphone. I think with some more tuning I could get the EL-8 exactly where I want it.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #3,969 of 4,783
I think Ty's Sine Cipher settings of +1dB at 500Hz and 1Hz and a -5dB reduction at 16Hz also works well on the EL-8.

With these EQ settings the Cipher cable is definitely a very noticeable improvement over the 3.5mm.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #3,971 of 4,783
Did anyone tried the M1060 btw? And how will the compare next to the Sine and El-8?

I guess i get addicted to Planar headphones.

Honestly I would go with Audeze for the premium feel of their products alone. M1060 is a different beast (haven't tried), while Audeze has a unique house sound.

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #3,972 of 4,783
I think Ty's Sine Cipher settings of +1dB at 500Hz and 1Hz and a -5dB reduction at 16Hz also works well on the EL-8.

With these EQ settings the Cipher cable is definitely a very noticeable improvement over the 3.5mm.
Yeah that's basically what I used for my Sine, except I cut 8kHz 1dB and 16 kHz 2dB

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3,973 of 4,783
Yeah that's basically what I used for my Sine, except I cut 8KHz 1dB and 16 kHz 2dB

If you're looking to totally get rid of the V-shape on the EL-8, I'd say to cut every frequency ~ -5dB except 500Hz-4KHz. Sounds better than trying to boost the mid-range.

Not that I recommend doing that lol. My recommendation would be to boost the mids 1dB and cut the treble about 2dB.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,974 of 4,783
If you're looking to totally get rid of the V-shape on the EL-8, I'd say to cut every frequency ~ -5dB except 500Hz-4KHz. Sounds better than trying to boost the mid-range.
I'll try that when I get an EL-8 Titanium. But for now Daft Punk is Doin' It Right on my Audeze Sine
party.gif

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #3,975 of 4,783
Did anyone tried the M1060 btw? And how will the compare next to the Sine and El-8?

I guess i get addicted to Planar headphones.

The M1060 isn't like the Sine at all in my opinion. The M1060 is darker and more laid back. It's more along the lines of the LCD-2. The HE560 is more comparable to the Sine if you're looking for a larger headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back