Audeze SINE Series
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #3,991 of 4,775
If you’re looking for more bass and a more engaging sound profile overall I think you’ll be happy with the Cipher. I love Audeze’s implementation to include a DAC/amp in the cable that should hopefully be better than amps in its price range since it’s tailor made for the headphones.

I do like the Cipher, and besides the nice bass boost, it also makes them quite a bit louder out of my iPhone, louder than I even can listen to for modern pop music, which is great.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #3,992 of 4,775
I do like the Cipher, and besides the nice bass boost, it also makes them quite a bit louder out of my iPhone, louder than I even can listen to for modern pop music, which is great.

How loudly are you listening? My natural inclination is 75% with the Cipher but that fatigues my ears quickly :frowning2:. My ears have been hurting for the past two days after listening at 60-75% for a few hours.

I did find out that the Titanium is the same as the 2016 EL-8 Closed besides the aesthetic difference.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #3,993 of 4,775
How loudly are you listening? My natural inclination is 75% with the Cipher but that fatigues my ears quickly :frowning2:. My ears have been hurting for the past two days after listening at 60-75% for a few hours.

I did find out that the Titanium is the same as the 2016 EL-8 Closed besides the aesthetic difference.

The cypher is not louder than the non European iphone. It actually has a little less peak output when I measured it. It has some soft clipping/compression near full volume. This may be the fatiguing aspect if it is not done well.

I ditched the cypher after a couple of days. The Sines sounded better with the lightning dongle that ships with the iphone 7, as I couldn't enjoy the bass boost.

Then I bought an LG phone, tricked it into high impedance mode and hires playback and I'm very happy.

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #3,994 of 4,775

50% is plenty loud for me with the Cipher, 60% of max occasionally.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #3,995 of 4,775
50% is my usual on the iPhone X with the Sine+Cipher. Sometimes up or down 1-2 bars depending on the song.

Feb 13, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #3,996 of 4,775
I agree with you guys when it comes to the Sine, 50%-60% is perfectly adequate. With the EL-8, I find myself wanting to listen more loudly. I’ve wondered if maybe the larger sense of space makes me want to listen more loudly. Just a possibility...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3,997 of 4,775
Yup, I think I’ve gotten so used to listening to headphones without giant soundstages that my natural inclination was to raise the volume to make the sound feel less “distant.” EL-8 has a massive soundstage for a closed-back headphone. Can definitely hear the separation better at lower volumes.

Canceled Tidal membership and it ended a day earlier than it was supposed to... Happy to be done with their almost unusably buggy app. Sound quality was better but Apple Music sounds perfectly fine. I’ll wait until there’s an Apple Lossless option.

Also, food for thought: if Apple Music’s 256kbps AAC sounds perfectly fine on the EL-8, I think I’d be happy with a wireless Audeze headphone that supports all the latest codecs. Then you’d basically have the Cipher DAC/amp in the headphones themselves.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #3,998 of 4,775
Thanks you guys, enjoying my EL-8 Titanium much more at 50% volume. (Also enjoyed my Sine much more when I lowered the volume.)

Modern headphones get way too loud to the point that all that happens is fatigue which makes them downright painful ruining the sound. Surprised at how loud the Cipher cable can get.

Feb 14, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #3,999 of 4,775
My isne20s sound good. I don’t consider the bass to be that great on them. The cipher Cable did liven the sound, but honestly I don’t really like it that way compared to my AK120ii with a cayin c5 without EQ.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #4,000 of 4,775
I have a few questions for you Sine owners!

1. the Sines that come bundled with Cipher cable: there's nothing that comes with them that allows for them to be used with android phones, right? So I need to get a replacement cable with a simple 3.5mm plug, I think. I don't see a replacement standard cable available on the Audeze site or anywhere else for a reasonable amount. Where would you get an android-compatible cable for Sines?

2. People talk about stock Audio Technica MSR7 pads being a good upgrade: retaining most of the stock sound characteristics and increasing comfort. Where does one go about getting stock MSR7 pads? AT sells replacement pads for the M series (M50x etc.) but not for MSR7. Do you contact AT directly for those?

3. Noise insulation: stock on-ear pads vs. alternative leatherette or leather over-ear pads--is there a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #4,001 of 4,775
The cipher version should come with two cables - cipher cable and standard 3.5 audio cable. If you don’t have the standard audio cable and look for one to buy, I have one brand new from Audeze listed on eBay now and can certainly sell it cheaper here.

Feb 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #4,002 of 4,775

1. the Sines that come bundled with Cipher cable: there's nothing that comes with them that allows for them to be used with android phones, right? So I need to get a replacement cable with a simple 3.5mm plug, I think. I don't see a replacement standard cable available on the Audeze site or anywhere else for a reasonable amount. Where would you get an android-compatible cable for Sines?

2. People talk about stock Audio Technica MSR7 pads being a good upgrade: retaining most of the stock sound characteristics and increasing comfort. Where does one go about getting stock MSR7 pads? AT sells replacement pads for the M series (M50x etc.) but not for MSR7. Do you contact AT directly for those?

3. Noise insulation: stock on-ear pads vs. alternative leatherette or leather over-ear pads--is there a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance!

1. I use cables that were made for the Denon AH-D600/AHD-7200 etc and they work fine. Also Meze 99 cables too I believe. The current cable I use now is one that I made myself. Audeze carries a replacement cable on their site too.

2. You can use the MSR7 or the M50X pads. There are many aftermarket ones around. You don't need to get an official one.

3. Slightly better noise isolation with over-ear but I work stock pads over-ear too.

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #4,003 of 4,775

Thanks in advance!

1) Cipher Version has the 3.5mm and Cipher cable included as mentioned previously. you can also buy and or make custom cables as some have posted in the thread previously

2) You can get thrid party MSR7 pads at amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=msr+7+pads. You can order legit ones from parts@atus.com (correct me if im wrong) there is also a phone number 330-686-2600 ext. 5002 (see here >> http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/9de91ac2563eaf16/index.html)

3) Over ear in my experience does provided better isolation, but YMMV

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #4,004 of 4,775
Feb 16, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #4,005 of 4,775
So these are only 22 Ohm impedance headphones: do they still benefit from an amp when used with android phones that have a reasonable DAC? (considering one can use a pretty good equalizer in an app like PowerAMP) And if so, which amps do you like with these headphones? Something like Fiio Mont Blanc would be an overkill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back