Audeze SINE Series
Dec 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,826 of 4,775
I'd never recommend those pads for the Sine. I bought them and never used them after a try. comfort is great, but sound... To my ears, with the HM5 sheepskin angled pads the sound loses it's energy because of how far the ears rest (and the Sine is not an "energetic" headphone, so making it softer makes it worse for me). After trying that ones and the audiotechnica's (good comfort, better sound than hm5, but poor isolation for street use) i ended with the original pads, not so problematic for me. Now, a year after, i think i'm going to try the Aurvana Live ones attending to @SoundSquare impressions. If they provide the isolation i miss on the AT msr7 pad's they could be my final solution (i have faith because they seem to fit tighter...)

Some people, however, found great the angled HM5, don't forget this is just a personal experience.

A year ago there was a lot of discussion about this topic in this forum. Many people tried different pads and shared their impressions. Take a look around page 202 more or less.... Here i quote a big comparison by @Maxx134

Hope it helps...
thanks buddy for detailed reply...I read those pages and there were mentioned of how good the angled brainwavz pads were including sound quality improvement ....

how with this post it seems audio technica ath msr7 pads will be better ?

I am currently trying my momentum 2.0 pads but their fit also to my ears and not comfortable

will the brainwavz angled pads be bigger and loose fit ? and does it color the sound too much ?

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #3,827 of 4,775
thanks buddy for detailed reply...I read those pages and there were mentioned of how good the angled brainwavz pads were including sound quality improvement ....

how with this post it seems audio technica ath msr7 pads will be better ?

I am currently trying my momentum 2.0 pads but their fit also to my ears and not comfortable

will the brainwavz angled pads be bigger and loose fit ? and does it color the sound too much ?

Yes, they will be much bigger, you'll need to use the adaptors designed by some users. And in my opinion they color the sound making it warmer and softer, less detailed, with maybe more subbass but less kick and punch. A little bit hollow sound compared to the original ones. Depends on tastes too, my problem with the sine is that i miss some dynamics and energy on their sound, a grain of "fun" with more bass and soundstage would make the perfect for me. Losing it for a softer signature with the HM5 was running int the opposite direction...

Edit:By the way, i bought the HM5 really convinced by the same opinions explaining i was going to find a sound improvement....

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #3,828 of 4,775
Yes, they will be much bigger, you'll need to use the adaptors designed by some users. And in my opinion they color the sound making it warmer and softer, less detailed, with maybe more subbass but less kick and punch. A little bit hollow sound compared to the original ones. Depends on tastes too, my problem with the sine is that i miss some dynamics and energy on their sound, a grain of "fun" with more bass and soundstage would make the perfect for me. Losing it for a softer signature with the HM5 was running int the opposite direction...

Edit:By the way, i bought the HM5 really convinced by the same opinions explaining i was going to find a sound improvement....
so which pads you recommend bcoz stock ones I cannot wear for more than 10 mins

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #3,830 of 4,775
whats the experience with sennheiser momentums 2.0 pads ? hows sound quality in them ?

Never tried the momentums, just know the HM5, AT Msr7 and original stock ones. The Aurvana Live pads look more similar in fit to the Momentums, so i'm not sure if they could be your option. Between Hm5 and msr7 no doubt for me, Msr7. With adaptors and mods tried by others maybe they improve isolation also. They are comfortable and they provide similar sound to the stock pads. More opinions will help, for sure...

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #3,831 of 4,775
Never tried the momentums, just know the HM5, AT Msr7 and original stock ones. The Aurvana Live pads look more similar in fit to the Momentums, so i'm not sure if they could be your option. Between Hm5 and msr7 no doubt for me, Msr7. With adaptors and mods tried by others maybe they improve isolation also. They are comfortable and they provide similar sound to the stock pads. More opinions will help, for sure...

have you tried the HM5 flat or the angled ones ?

this one ? https://www.amazon.in/Brainwavz-Ang...2836179&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=branwavz+angled

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #3,833 of 4,775
Angled ones, sheepskin. Exactly this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J53WTU...vT&pd_rd_r=PW5JWZVZ9X9EVBHF4R36&pd_rd_w=t0fNJ

Maybe flat version reduces the effect of distance...
I read Maxxx post somewhere that he crushed this same angled pads to make is less distant from drivers...have you tried doing that, if I understand correct the only problem with this angled pads is the distance it creates with ears and drivers right ?

does it supress the bass by this distance ?

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3,834 of 4,775
I read Maxxx post somewhere that he crushed this same angled pads to make is less distant from drivers...have you tried doing that, if I understand correct the only problem with this angled pads is the distance it creates with ears and drivers right ?

does it supress the bass by this distance ?

No, i didn't try that, now i use them with my ultrasone 780 and love their comfort, but casually this week i tried to put them again on the sines and it confirmed me my first impressions. Nice sound, yes, but darker, warmer, less lively, less overwhelming bass (but maybe a slight more sub-rumble...), less detailed, less planar in sum.

However, looks like the little consumerist devil in you is already activated around this object, and that one doesn't listen to reasons, we all know it in this tricky therapeutic forum for addicts. Maybe you should buy them and the msr7 ones (which are much cheaper) and then decide and send back the ones you don't want. I'll be curious about your impressions!

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,835 of 4,775
I'm still waiting for word about a version 2.. Why else would the black friday price be so low and the sine be out of stock now?

They're still selling through Amazon although stock is low. People have been suspecting V2 for a while now because the price started to drop even before Black Friday. Not that low, but there were sales for $350-$400 that I saw. Someone said they saw a sale for $250. I would have even jumped on that had I seen it.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #3,836 of 4,775
No, i didn't try that, now i use them with my ultrasone 780 and love their comfort, but casually this week i tried to put them again on the sines and it confirmed me my first impressions. Nice sound, yes, but darker, warmer, less lively, less overwhelming bass (but maybe a slight more sub-rumble...), less detailed, less planar in sum.

However, looks like the little consumerist devil in you is already activated around this object, and that one doesn't listen to reasons, we all know it in this tricky therapeutic forum for addicts. Maybe you should buy them and the msr7 ones (which are much cheaper) and then decide and send back the ones you don't want. I'll be curious about your impressions!
haha yeah you got me right buddy :)

I hate to loose the sound of sine but the stock pads I can't take for 10 mins so ordered the angled one should come by monday will try and give my impressions here

currently I am using it on my momentum's pads , they are comfy keeping original sound signature of sine but I still find them uncomfortable after an hours or so .. I need something as comfy as HD 599 :)

hopefully the angled one prove to be great ... fingers crossed :)

BTW do you use sine with 3.5mm or cipher cable ? I use it with cypher cable all the time on my ipad pro...3.5mm sound dull to me

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,837 of 4,775
haha yeah you got me right buddy :)

I hate to loose the sound of sine but the stock pads I can't take for 10 mins so ordered the angled one should come by monday will try and give my impressions here

currently I am using it on my momentum's pads , they are comfy keeping original sound signature of sine but I still find them uncomfortable after an hours or so .. I need something as comfy as HD 599 :)

hopefully the angled one prove to be great ... fingers crossed :)

BTW do you use sine with 3.5mm or cipher cable ? I use it with cypher cable all the time on my ipad pro...3.5mm sound dull to me

3,5mm cable connected to a headstage arrow amp, which i clearly recommend as a tiny amp with great synergy (or Sinergy in this case) and great, non intrusive extra bass for the Sine, which i find a litttle lacking (in terms of quantity, not quality) in that aspect.

The HM5 in sheepskin are so luxurious that i bought them with the same expectations, that's why i found fair to share the cons i found in them, because no one told me that in that moment. You'll find the most comfortable pads i've tried, no doubt. Now prepare to wear them on the streets, the Sine with them are huge, you'll look like princess Leia with her buns. But who cares when you're listening privately someone singing directly to your ears inside these wonderful cans???

Good luck and tell us what you think!

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #3,839 of 4,775
HH5 pads are a blurry mess.
You need proximity for this headphone to sound alive.

Real AT MS7 pads need the adapters which ups the dam price.
Fake ass 3d printed adapters don't sound as good.

Just go for the fake MSR7 pads on eBay and call it a day...
They DO have the most balanced sound of all the pads I tried.

Dont screw yourself buying expensive pads!
You know which pads I'm talking about! (Ves..)
They are for tiny ears and loose proximity(energy)

If you want real bass impact don't expect the Sine to do that for you.

I moved on from sine but its still a nice headphone which need power to be its best.

I also move on from Hifiman Ed S .

Both had QC issues with headband so take it easy with them.
So if you love your Sine (I did),
Baby it.
I still think its great but got tired of carrying portable player for it.

I currently using Denon mm400 for durability and also the B&W P5 with the over ear pads from Amazon.
Both are high quality superior durability headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,840 of 4,775
I moved on from sine but its still a nice headphone which need power to be its best.

I still think its great but got tired of carrying portable player for it.

I currently using Denon mm400 for durability and also the B&W P5 with the over ear pads from Amazon.
Both are high quality superior durability headphones.

LG V20, V30, and G6 will all power the Sine when tricked into high impedance mode. They sound a lot better than the B&W P5 then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back